Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

24 Nosler vs 6mm CM Login/Join 

posted
Any opinions about the difference between the 24 Nosler and the 6mm Creedmoor (CM) in a 15” barrel ? Load data for the 24 Nosler lists medium burn rate gunpowders, with the 6mm CM lists slower gunpowders. Just would like to know if the 24 Nosler would be more efficient in a 15” barrel ?

Peter Resetz

Posts: 144 | Location: Lapeer, MI. | Registered: September 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
I’m interested to hear other’s thoughts about this myself...I’ve been thinking/looking at all these as well as the new 6mm ARC. I have no 6mm experience at all, just researching. From what I can see online, with around 100gr pills, looks like a 6mm TCU will do around 2200fps where the 24 Nosler does around 2400fps. The 6mm creed looks like it gets around 2800fps (I originally typo’ed 2600fps) in a 16” barrel. Looks like the 6mm ARC is getting around 2550fps in 16” barrels.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Predator_huntin,

Chris

Posts: 683 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
16" 6 Creed with factory Hornady 103's is 2791 fps
15.75 6 Creed with 105 A-max's 2780 fps
18" 6mm Creed with 103 grain Vapor Trails 2893 fps

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12168 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
Ernie, I just realized the typo I made in my reply after you posted your numbers...mine should have been about 2800fps instead of the 2600fps I actually typed out. If I had proofread better I would have saw that the ARC and Creed couldn’t have been that close

Chris

Posts: 683 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PRR1957:
Any opinions about the difference between the 24 Nosler and the 6mm Creedmoor (CM) in a 15” barrel ? Load data for the 24 Nosler lists medium burn rate gunpowders, with the 6mm CM lists slower gunpowders. Just would like to know if the 24 Nosler would be more efficient in a 15” barrel ?

Peter,
I know nothing about the 24 Nosler.
I can give you info on a 26 Nosler in a XP-100 though.
What performance level with what bullet weight are you looking for?

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12168 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Predator_huntin:
Ernie, I just realized the typo I made in my reply after you posted your numbers...mine should have been about 2800fps instead of the 2600fps I actually typed out. If I had proofread better I would have saw that the ARC and Creed couldn’t have been that close

No problem

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
I’d suggest taking a look at the 6mm Dasher too. 2700 FPS from a 16” barrel with 105’s. A bit less powder than the 6mm CM also..... 2cents

-Mike

Posts: 2291 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
6XC is another option too

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:
quote:

Peter,

The reason for this inquiry was I’m kicking around the idea of acquiring a Nosler, Model 48 Independence which is offered chambered in the 24 Nosler and 6mm CM. The only attraction to the 6mm CM is the availability of multiple brands of ready made cartridge cases. As for a bullet weight,90-95 grain. I would like to use it on whitetail deer and coyotes. I already have a custom built Sako, Vixan PPC, single shot rear grip handgun chambered in 6mm PPC/USA that is used for woodchucks, which is quite pleasant to shoot with Nosler 55 grain, BT. My concern is the midgrip Independence chambered 6mm CM would be a wrist wrencher. I had a XP chambered in 7mmBR Remington, that I used in IHMSA with 140 grain bullets and after 40+ rounds fired, my shooting hand wrist would be sore. I do not want to have to install a muzzle break as I already have severe tinnitus in my right ear, plus I hunt with a friend who I don’t want deafen with with muzzle blast.

Peter Resetz

Posts: 144 | Location: Lapeer, MI. | Registered: September 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Peter,

The reason for this inquiry was I’m kicking around the idea of acquiring a Nosler, Model 48 Independence which is offered chambered in the 24 Nosler and 6mm CM. The only attraction to the 6mm CM is the availability of multiple brands of ready made cartridge cases. As for a bullet weight,90-95 grain. I would like to use it on whitetail deer and coyotes. I already have a custom built Sako, Vixan PPC, single shot rear grip handgun chambered in 6mm PPC/USA that is used for woodchucks, which is quite pleasant to shoot with Nosler 55 grain, BT. My concern is the midgrip Independence chambered 6mm CM would be a wrist wrencher. I had a XP chambered in 7mmBR Remington, that I used in IHMSA with 140 grain bullets and after 40+ rounds fired, my shooting hand wrist would be sore. I do not want to have to install a muzzle break as I already have severe tinnitus in my right ear, plus I hunt with a friend who I don’t want deafen with with muzzle blast.

Do you wear hearing protection when you practice and hunt?
I would go with the 6 Creed myself

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
If, you do not wear hearing protection when you hunt, you hurt your hearing every time you pull the trigger

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
quote:
If, you do not wear hearing protection when you hunt, you hurt your hearing every time you pull the trigger

I always wear hearing protection when plinking, testing, and hunting. It was about 14 years when a cease fire was called and this moronic kid fired a Barrett M82 ten feet away from me and ruined my right ear. I’ve been considering a Surefire, Warden Direct-Thread Blast Regulator to mitigate some of the muzzle blast.

Getting back to two cartridges. I see that 24 Nosler is a smaller cartridge case and would burn less gunpowder as apposed to the 6mm CM, but I like to shoot a lot and want a cartridge that will reach to as far as 400+ yards to anchor a MI whitetail, but would be relatively pleasant to shoot.

Also on the subject of the 6mm CM, any opinions on small or large rifle primers options for that cartridge. Starline and Peterson offering in 6mm CM have both primer sizes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PRR1957,

Peter Resetz

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
I would stay with a large primer, especially if hunting in real cold weather

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
I have not seen a small primer fail to to work in real cold weather FWIW

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I have not been able to find a difference between large and small primer in how the gun shoots.

Some say it makes primer pockets last longer....I don’t see it

Posts: 3992 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Just would like to know if the 24 Nosler would be more efficient in a 15” barrel ?

The two cartridges look to be at opposite ends of the 6 mm spectrum. I see the 24 Nosler as being more like the 6 BR. OTOH, the 6 CM is more like the 243. In that regard, yes the 24 Nosler will be more efficient.
quote:
I see that 24 Nosler is a smaller cartridge case and would burn less gunpowder as apposed to the 6mm CM, but I like to shoot a lot and want a cartridge that will reach to as far as 400+ yards to anchor a MI whitetail, but would be relatively pleasant to shoot.

I like to deer hunt and have killed my fair share. I've killed only one deer w/ a 6mm, a 6X50R Bellm. W/ the type of deer hunting I do, I'm not a big fan of 6mm for deer hunting, although many are. Having said that, to me, it's gonna be hard to find any gun that'll reliably drop a whitetail at >400 yards (especially a Michigan whitetail) yet be relatively pleasant to shoot.

Keep us updated. I'll be curious to see what you get. I've been thinking of a 24 Nosler to add to my prairie dog hunting arsenal.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Also on the subject of the 6mm CM, any opinions on small or large rifle primers options for that cartridge. Starline and Peterson offering in 6mm CM have both primer sizes.

Just came across this article. I've never really paid attention to the SR vs LR primer debate. Interesting. 6.5 CM, SR vs LR primer: accuracy and muzzle velocity

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post