Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Striker Mid Grip Chassis Login/Join 

posted
]

For your comments/review. Real prototype.

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Gator T/C
posted Hide Post
Sweet! Front and rear views?

Brad

------------------------------
Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 7x47(SSK),308 Bellm, .338 SSK Woodswalker (2),358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.243,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA .22LR, .243
XP-700LA .25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper

Posts: 1253 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
interesting is first response, would want sharp edges/points rounded,
a different grip, looking forward to more info, thanks

Posts: 126 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I think I like it. It does look a little "sharp" as in maybe it needs the sharp corners rounded off. If it takes AR grips that would be awesome, it looks like it does. I would probably buy one if you decide to make some for sale.

Mike

Posts: 128 | Location: Petoskey, MI | Registered: April 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Looks very bulky

Lots of sharp edges

Needs raduised where the top of the hand would meet the stock at the grip

Posts: 4032 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post

Front and rear.

Uses AR grips.

Prototype. Will need rounding of edges, a few other details.

Looking for your input.

Yes, we want to make more. Getting quotes now for CNC scanning and making a run from 6061, bolts, Hogue mid angle grips, and maybe ceracoat or anodizing.

Input requested.

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Larry,
Thanks bringing ideas into reality.
Excited to see where it goes.
I don't know if more people would be interested in a flat bottomed bench set-up or a more rounded sporter or varmint set-up.
For myself, I think more would be interested in a forend that more useful for hunting and varminting from field positions. I could wrong though.
The now defunct H-S Precision varmint stock was flat and wide on the bottom, to the degree you cannot fully utilize the swivel version Harris bipod.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12191 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I love the idea, but am in the same camp as Ernie.

I would like to see a smaller more slender forend for field use. My thought is a center grip Striker is a field pistol. If I was going to build a bench gun I would convert to rear grip to make a major improvement in trigger pull.

Perhaps the forend could remain flat but a more sporterized like side profile. Being an aluminum chasis perhaps the forend could be drilled for sling swivels ..... And those same holes (plus 1-2 more) could be used to mount a wide forend plate for bench work.

Interested to see how the prototype transforms to production.

Just my personal thoughts.

-Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
Is that all one chunk? Or multiple? Whats the purpose for having the forend so tall? Whats the purpose of having the back extend so far behind the tang?

Aaron

Valid questions.
For field shooting I would not want a forend that tall

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12191 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The stock is made from 2 pieces, the action and the trigger guard.

The action piece is made to accomodate the magazine, and is just tall enough for that.

But I am looking for any/all suggestions for the finished project.

Right now, I will probably thin and round the foreend, as well as the action and tail. The trigger guard will get rounded as well.

Tapering the foreend? I'll look into it.

Larry
Tinkerer

Picture of sheehan93
posted Hide Post
I will say there is a lack of options for the striker. I may even be interested in one. Nice work, looking forward to seeing what the end product looks like.

Marc Sheehan

Life NRA Member

Posts: 1111 | Location: Syracuse, NE, USA | Registered: November 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Would be nice if the front was hollow with some sort of cap so we could fill it with lead if we wanted more weight.

Posts: 14 | Location: Missouri | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
We discussed the option of a hollow section for that purpose. Possible.

Larry
Tinkerer

Picture of feets
posted Hide Post
I was really torn on the styling when carving that thing. My skills tend to lean towards fixing problems instead of doing cosmetic work.
The prototype was cut on my manual vertical mill without the flexibility of a CNC. However, the production pieces would be cut on a Tormach CNC.
Currently, the stock is in a functional but unfinished stage. We can show it but please understand the cosmetics are intentionally bland. I cut off as little as necessary to provide a semi-finished look while leaving as much material as possible for future work.

I wanted it to be a bit more slender but the design of the Striker's action and trigger linkage dictated the height of the stock. There is surprisingly little extra material below the action.
Thinning the sides would mean dropping the top of the stock and exposing more of the receiver instead of going with the conventional half-way-up-the-side thing. In effect, the action would look to be sitting on top of the stock.
Lowering the sides down along the length of the barrel would be child's play.
The forend was quite the nuisance for a non-artsy guy. I'm used to a wider base because I do bench shooting. Adding a provision for internal weights was discussed, as well as through holes, slots, and fluting. The ribs are also at two different heights to see what tickles the fancy.
I could easily plow off material to narrow the nose and round off the edges.
The front of the trigger guard was just a quick and dirty cut. The angle follows the form of the forend but could easily be restyled to match any restyling of the forend.

Show us photos of the preferred features of your current stocks and we'll see what we can incorporate into this one.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posts: 726 | Location: Dallas | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Kevin (feets) is the talent behind this creation. I just pointed and asked dumb questions.

He is the best machinist I have ever seen.

Once we get the final version polished, we'll get quotes for CNC master and a run of at least (?). Based entirely on demand and price breaks.

The more people who step up, hopefully the better the final price.

Larry
Tinkerer

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feets:
I was really torn on the styling when carving that thing. My skills tend to lean towards fixing problems instead of doing cosmetic work.
The prototype was cut on my manual vertical mill without the flexibility of a CNC. However, the production pieces would be cut on a Tormach CNC.
Currently, the stock is in a functional but unfinished stage. We can show it but please understand the cosmetics are intentionally bland. I cut off as little as necessary to provide a semi-finished look while leaving as much material as possible for future work.

I wanted it to be a bit more slender but the design of the Striker's action and trigger linkage dictated the height of the stock. There is surprisingly little extra material below the action.
Thinning the sides would mean dropping the top of the stock and exposing more of the receiver instead of going with the conventional half-way-up-the-side thing. In effect, the action would look to be sitting on top of the stock.
Lowering the sides down along the length of the barrel would be child's play.
The forend was quite the nuisance for a non-artsy guy. I'm used to a wider base because I do bench shooting. Adding a provision for internal weights was discussed, as well as through holes, slots, and fluting. The ribs are also at two different heights to see what tickles the fancy.
I could easily plow off material to narrow the nose and round off the edges.
The front of the trigger guard was just a quick and dirty cut. The angle follows the form of the forend but could easily be restyled to match any restyling of the forend.

Show us photos of the preferred features of your current stocks and we'll see what we can incorporate into this one.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin,
Thank you for all of your efforts.
Looking forward to the progress of this stock design.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
I would personally like to see the forend of the final product be similar to MDT's LSS chasis.

Something along those lines would really interest me.

-Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the hard work you've both put into the project. As others have mentioned, I'd like to see a more streamlined look overall, especially the forend. I realize that due to dfferences between the XP and Striker actions, there'll be some limitations. I'd also like a grip that's not so vertical. How much does it weigh? Whats' the goal weight? Please keep us updated. I'm interested in seeing what the final product looks like.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1689 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. Looking forward to following the progression of this project.

CW
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!

www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -

Posts: 1227 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post