Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler 48 pistol updates? Login/Join 

Picture of old leghumper
posted
Who has one now? Likes and dislikes? Have you dispatched any critters with it? And finally anyone besides Mark bringing one to the M.O.A. match? flag

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1504 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have two - 6mm CM & 6.5 CM. Critters - bobcat, boar, dall sheep, gator, antelope, mule deer, whitetail, coyote. Yes, Karen and I will be shooting the 6mm CM at MOA.

Posts: 1006 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark hampton:
I have two - 6mm CM & 6.5 CM. Critters - bobcat, boar, dall sheep, gator, antelope, mule deer, whitetail, coyote. Yes, Karen and I will be shooting the 6mm CM at MOA.

Bless you both!

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1504 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have one in 6.5 Creed, I’ve killed a couple whitetail does and a couple hogs. I really like the Model 48. May order another when they come out with the independence model. Next one will probably be .308

Posts: 949 | Location: waycross,ga | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted Hide Post
I enjoy mine. It didn't arrive in time for deer season. Still developing a load. If I was to do another, it would be the Indepedence model in 308.

Tim
------------------------------

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

Posts: 6994 | Location: Western NY | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm like ga sixgunner and magman -- the next one I get will probably be a .308 Win. Contrary to trendy/sexier cartridges today - the 308 will handle the vast majority of big game hunting most hunters will encounter.

Posts: 1006 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
What is the "independence" model?

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19843 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
M48 independence handgun
The Model 48 Nosler Independence is the ultimate precision bolt-action handgun. Built on a one-piece, billet aluminum stock, the mid-grip stock provides a completely rigid platform for the bedded action and free-floated barrel. Designed from the ground up by the engineers at Nosler with input from some of the most successful handgun hunters alive today, the M48 Independence is the answer to handgun hunters’ dreams. Each handgun is machined and built from US made parts by the accomplished gunsmiths at the Nosler Rifle division in Bend, Oregon.
Built on the rugged Nosler Model 48 short action, the Independence shares all of the same features that have made the Model 48 series of rifles a continued
success. Available in a variety of short action calibers well-suited to varmint hunting, silhouette shooting, and hunting big game. Every 15” barrel has a threaded muzzle to fit a variety of muzzle breaks and suppressor options. Every handgun stock and barreled action are completely 100% Cerakoted.

Scroll Down, Link to new pistol info.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What is the MSRP on the Independence model? I don't recall seeing it on their website.

Posts: 78 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of RICHP
posted Hide Post
Looks like $2,495.00.

---------------
love those .41 mags.

Posts: 187 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: November 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
The article I read in Outdoor Life said $1750, AND a second, refined edition of the Independence is coming out later this year.

Posts: 1847 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have one in 6.5 creedmoor, fantastic gun.

Posts: 204 | Location: shawnee, ks usa | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
When I was visiting the Nosler booth at SHOT-- I thought the Independence was marked a little less money than the original NCH. Could have been a senior moment.

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Nosler the other day and they confirmed $1,750.00 with August being the targeted release date. Unlike the Nosler 48 Custom model which you can choose barrel length and cerakote color this model comes with a 15" barrel only with black barreled action and a gray stock. When released , you will most likely be able to pick one up at $1,600.00 from a discount dealer. Very hard to build a quality specialty pistol for that amount! I forgot to ask them if the lower priced model will still use Shilen barrels or will it have a lessor grade barrel.

Posts: 937 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Any more input on these?

How are the triggers?
I saw a review that made a comment on the bolt lift being hard or stiff? Author may have not been familiar with bolt pistols.

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!

Posts: 3020 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
jsh, The two-stage triggers are nice. The one on my 6.5 CM breaks a little over two pounds. The 6mm CM trigger has undergone some work and set-up for a much lighter pull.

The bolt on both of my Nosler NCH models are painless to manipulate -- very smooth. Will be shooting the 6mm CM at the MOA shoot next month. Currently fighting the urge to get another NCH in .308 Win.

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsh:
Any more input on these?

How are the triggers?
I saw a review that made a comment on the bolt lift being hard or stiff? Author may have not been familiar with bolt pistols.
The sample I handled at nraam had a very nice hunting weight trigger and bolt lift, with a decocked firing pin, wasn't any more difficult than any other bolt pistol I've handled. Overall, I thought the quality of the build was very impressive...

mike

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19843 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Chefmossy
posted Hide Post
Old thread but anyone have an update on the 48

Posts: 1 | Location: St Louis Mo  | Registered: February 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Not sure what kind of update you're searching for. The Independence model is selling well below the original NCH -- both are the same gun you just don't get options with the Independence. These are very accurate handguns and you would be hard-pressed to build a custom for the price of the Independence model. This bolt-action handgun is experiencing acceptance in the shooting community and with handgun hunters -- as evidence by sales.

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark. I'm working with my Gunsmith to see where and when he could get one of the Independence models in 308. Can't wait.

Mike

: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 3074 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted Hide Post
I paid 1300 for my 308 Independence. Then added $250 for the brake. Much less than my 6.5 CM NCH.

Tim

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

Posts: 6994 | Location: Western NY | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
From what I understand is that the Nosler action is made by Howa. There is three things I don’t like about the Nosler NCH and Independence. One. The whole trigger mechanism is mounted to stock, not the action. Two. The cross bolt safety is set up for right hand usage. Three. The receiver is milled out for a magazine, but then a plug is laser welded in to fill the magazine cutout. This doesn’t make any sense in that they could just omit the magazine cutout during the receivers CNC machining. Other then that, I'm glad to see a company offering a bolt action handgun. Now if only Remington would bring back the XP100 and drop that butt ugly CP100 with its uselessly short 10” barrel.

Peter Resetz

Posts: 144 | Location: Lapeer, MI. | Registered: September 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I shot a friends .308 Independence last fall on a visit to Arizona, and I've been on the lookout for one in 22 Nosler since then (I already have 22 Nosler dies).

Saw one on Gun Broker around November but was only up for about 3-4 hours before selling at ~$1700. I think I'll buy the next one I see at $1500 or less.

Back to my friends gun... he didn't have a brake on it when I shot it, and it bounced quite a bit. Said he's now had a brake made up and it was much easier to shoot.

The trigger was good and the aftermarket grip he had on it fit real nice. Seemed like a real rugged design too.

Posts: 23 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: January 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by magman:
I paid 1300 for my 308 Independence. Then added $250 for the brake. Much less than my 6.5 CM NCH.

Magman, I am planning on ordering a 308 also, I was looking at there web page I did not see a order link for the Independence. Do they have a brake or did you obtain the brake from other sources, your thoughts on adding the brake, thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: txhornet55,

Posts: 17 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted Hide Post
What I found out about the Independence is you either have to email or call them. I also had my gunsmith install the brake.

I was luck in that I found mine locally(sort or). It was in PA, but took 2 weeks to get here from 150 miles away. I have not shot the 308 yet, but if it shoots like my 6.5CM, I'll be very happy.

Tim

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
I talked with Nosler Friday. They are getting ready to make another run of the Nosler Independence Pistols in April. I have talked with a dealer that works with Nosler and I'm having him put in an order for a 308 now. Maybe I can get one of the next run of pistols. I already have a break with the jam nut I'm going to try.
I have shot the 308 in this pistol and I think it would be to my advantage to install the break. I have a Burris 3x12 BP setting on my work bench and some 308 Accubonds and some Ballistic tips loaded, ready to hit the range.
Mike

: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 3074 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted Hide Post

Tim

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

posted Hide Post
Nice looking rig!

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Very nice! That is exactly what I'm looking for. I hope my dealer can get his name in with Nosler and get one of the next runs of them.
Mike

posted Hide Post
Hello from Georgia!

Found this site via duckduckgo search.

My 6.5CM M48 Independence should be here this Wed.

I am psyched!

Posts: 13 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 20, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
WELCOME!

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12167 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
Welcome, you have arrived at the right place! Hope you can post a few photos of your new Nosler and hopefully keep us updated on how it shoots.

Posts: 937 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What is the preferred hard case for this rig?
And, softcase?

Posts: 13 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 20, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Welcome, you have arrived at the right place! Hope you can post a few photos of your new Nosler and hopefully keep us updated on how it shoots.

I hope to do so soon, ammo should arrive same date.
Perhaps next weekend take it to deer camp?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buggz:
And, softcase?

I don't use a hard case w/ my specialty pistols, but I have used various soft cases. Presently, I'm using one like this. I like the 29" length case so I can carry two SP's in a single case.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Check out Zeigel gun cases in Signal Hill, CA. They have stock models or will build to suit. I have had mine for over 20 years, and it has taken everything that Delta, American, United, Southwest etc. could throw at it. Not cheap but top quality. They can build any size or configuration that you want. Mine is double sided and will four SP handguns.

Model 37​
4-1/2" x 13" x 19"

This case has many applications. This case will accommodate four large handguns easily. The case can also be used for lens sets and a variety of accessories. There are two layers of foam in the upper section and two layers tin the lower section of the case. The foam is one-inch dark gray colored polyurethane. The case has one handle attached to the lower section of the case. There are no exposed catches on this case. The case is locked with two built-in 90 degree cam Ace locks. Model 1 is the same case, but uses external catches. There is a titanium version of this case.
Ziegel Engineering

OFFICE:
590 10th Ave
Kingsburg, CA 93631
Order: (562) 596-9481
FAX (559) 869-6081

PRODUCTION:
590 10th Ave
Kingsburg, CA 93631
(562) 743-2457

Email Us:
catalog@ziegeleng.com
catalogs@ziegeleng.com
orders@ziegeleng.com
information@ziegeleng.com

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3508 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sawfish,
Those are good looking gun cases. I've not heard of that company before. Their construction reminds me of my Kalispell gun case (now out of business) I bought back in the early 90's. A specialty pistol would need a bigger case like their "shotgun" case. The prices really aren't bad for that type of case. I bought a corder cover for my Kalispell case so it looks like an attache case to the casual observer. I've requested one of their catalogs, the first time I've requested a catalog in a LOOOOONG time. Big Grin

Posts: 1658 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
And, softcase?

Buggz, I forgot that I used a Pelican Model 1700 gun case that last time I traveled on airlines w/ guns. This is actually a "shotgun" sized case, but would work well for SP's. It's very sturdy and has built in wheels. I'd feel confident using it for SP's.

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Hello Gary,

These are more heavily constructed than Kalispell cases. One of our favorite airlines actually bent my Kalispell case on a Canada bear hunting trip many years ago. Ziegel is not well known outside of California. They are a small company and everything is not in their catalog. Many of the guys that belonged
to North American Handgun Hunters used Ziegel cases when they travel. Mine will hold four large pistols (i.e. Strikers, Super RedHawks; N Frame Smiths, etc., and has integral locks with tumbler keys. I always get compliments on mine from Homeland Security when I travel. Call Ziegel and tell them what you want and they will quote you a price. If you want, I can send you photos and the specs on mine. Hope things are well in Springhill.

Marvin

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3508 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info for the cases!
Appreciate it.

posted Hide Post
I would like to ask everyone what scope they are using.
I know this will elicit many different choices.
Having a hard time choosing, bewildering amount of choices.
I would think one with extended eye relief.

Question -
Tactical vs hunting, some what blurry, as I wish to do both.
Is there one, probably many?, that would accommodate both disciplines?

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
Number one Handgun scope at this time seems to be the Burris 3X-12X Ballistic Plex model. A lot of members install a muzzle brake on their specialty pistols and then use rifle scopes.

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buggz:
I would like to ask everyone what scope they are using.
I know this will elicit many different choices.
Having a hard time choosing, bewildering amount of choices.
I would think one with extended eye relief.

Question -
Tactical vs hunting, some what blurry, as I wish to do both.
Is there one, probably many?, that would accommodate both disciplines?

If you want a pistol scope, there is nothing wrong with that.
Have you used a LER scope?
What distances do you plan to hunt and shoot at?

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12167 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
In a Long Eye Relief Pistol Scope Burris would be my First and Only Choice at this time. Either a 2-7X or the 3-12X.

Not sure about Rifle Scope Choices. I have 2.5-10X Weaver Classic Extreme Rifle scopes on my Deer Hunting Encore Handguns, and a lone 8-32X Weaver Classic Extreme on my Varmint Barrel. I wish I could recommend this scope for you, unfortunately Weaver Scopes are now out of production.

Bob R

Posts: 331 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Different applications call for different handgun scopes.

On a specialty pistol for longer range use, the Leupold 2.5-8 has much better glass to my eye compared to the 4-12 Burris. For midday target practice, the Burris has the advantage of higher mag and a drop reticle, but for a hunter like myself the low light capabilities of the Leupold win out.

I have a Leica ER rifle scope on a H-S bolt pistol currently and it's got very generous eye relief, a good image when I back my eye off, and with a brake and an Armageddon bag that straps on the barrel recoil and getting scoped isn't an issue. This is a very lightweight rig compared to what most guys put rifle scopes on.

For revolvers, I much prefer 2x or 4x Leupolds for their forgiving and slightly shorter eye relief as well as good clear image.

Were I using the Nosler in 6.5 CM, I'd definitely use a rifle scope. It's not a lightweight gun nor a heavy kicker, and with a brake you'll get the best of all worlds with a good rifle scope.

Posts: 90 | Location: TX | Registered: September 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Handgun scopes. Burris 2 x 7 and Burris 3 x 12 multiples of each.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sawfish,

Rudyard Kipling

posted Hide Post
Currently I have 3 Nosler handguns and they all wear rifle scopes. They have muzzle brakes fitted and no issues with using a rifle scope. For hunting, I prefer the Leupold 4.5-14X with B&C reticle. Best of luck whichever direction you go.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the scope information.
I have an old scope left, the only one that wasn't stolen.

Just ordered Area 419 Hellfire Match brake for the Nosler M48 pistol.

Hopefully, I will actually get to shoot the setup this weekend.

I'll be able to know more about my likes for scope models this weekend with actual use.

posted Hide Post
Anyone put an Arca, or picatinny rail on the BOTTOM of the forearm?
There are three spaced qd swivel stud holes there,
it would be perfect for such a mount.

I'll have to measure these.

posted Hide Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Buggz,
I use --Bravo Company BCM Keymod Aluminum Picatinny Rail Section, Black, 3". You need to grind down the keymod on the back. These are low profile and look great on the pistol.
You can get them on Amazon. I have these on all of my XP's except my two bench guns. This allows me to switch my Atlas bipod from gun to gun in seconds. I highly recommend them.
Derek >>>----------->

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
VERY nice rig!

Thank you for this information, I will check it out.

posted Hide Post
I do the same as Derek.

I add a second 8-32 T-nut and install a 5 slot pic rail on the guns I use with a bipod.

Then I switch an Atlas to the guns as necessary.

-Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The best measurement I take is that the three holes on the bottom of the
Nosler M48 Independence foreend are 1.5" inches apart, center to center.

O<---1.5"--->O<---1.5"--->O
O<-----------3.0"----------->O
^.QD.swivel...^.....holes.....^

KeyMod hole patterns appear to be 0.788" apart:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeyMod

This message has been edited. Last edited by: buggz,

posted Hide Post
Wow, new search-fu shows this will work:
https://www.area419.com/produc...d-rail-ibr-straight/

Better photos:
https://www.shortactionprecisi...a-419-picatinny-rail

I am going to order.

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Yep I add the second as well Matt

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Actually, just ordered the Seekins SRS rail, of which I just found.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P...ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

posted Hide Post
Stupid me, re-reading, you grind down the KeyMod stuff on the back of the
Bravo Company BCM Keymod Aluminum Picatinny Rail Section model.
Hmm...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: buggz,

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Yes. It then fits the stock perfectly.