Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on an XP build. Login/Join 

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted
Hello all ! I am new to SP but not new to the sport and I need some advice. I am going to have an XP built with a 15" barrel chambered in 6MM XC which I plan to use for long range varmint shooting. I want to use 70 - 80 grain bullets. Because this round was designed for 105 grain plus , VLD target bullets I am concerned that the throat / lead for the standard chamber will not allow me to seat my bullets close enough to the rifling to achieve top accuracy. I had P.T.G. draw up a reamer print designed for the lighter varmint bullets but I wonder if it is really necessary or beneficial ? Any advice from anybody familiar with this round would be greatly appreciated . Thank you !

Posts: 948 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Welcome to SP. great question, look forward to seeing answers to your question.
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ernie Bishop runs a 6X , maybe he will see this and chime in.

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Gator T/C
posted Hide Post
Welcome! Not sure if you have heart already set on a 6XC or not BUT......

Usually the larger case capacity like the 6BR and the "improved" BR cases are used with heavier bullets and faster twist barrels for extended target work. If you are wanting to shoot lighter bullets in a 6mm there are better options. The lighter bullets do better at shorter ranges (<300 yards) with a 1:14 twist being common in the 6mmPPC. I shoot a Krieger barrel 1:14 twist with light 6mm bullets but I had a reamer in 6mm/204improved. This is just a 204 Ruger case necked up to 6mm. It shoots very well. I have 6BR in a Lilja 1:8 twist and it shoots 107g well and ALSO shoots 66g custom bullets well but I have not shot it past 200 yards. I also have a 6BR with a 1:15 twist and 87g is as heavy as I can shoot in it. Good luck and post pics! Need to decide how far away you want to shoot and If primary purpose is target or multipurpose.

Brad

------------------------------
Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 7x47(SSK),308 Bellm, .338 SSK Woodswalker (2),358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.243,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA .22LR, .243
XP-700LA .25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper

Posts: 1247 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Welcome to SP. I agree with Gator although I think if your twist rate is correct you will be fine. Let us know what you come up with.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
For a LR varmint rig in a 6XC I would go with 1-7.5 twist or a 1-8 twist.
105 A-Max works good on varmints and will have a lot less wind drift at distance compared to the bullets you mention in your post.
Drift, not drop is the biggest challenge for LR varminting.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Welcome to SP Hi
FWIW,
I had a 1-7 twist 6 BR XP that I mostly shot 105-107 grain bullets through. It also shot the 70-87 gr varmint bullets very well, even with a considerable jump to the lands.

As Ernie stated, the heavy 6mm bullets really shine at long distance thumbup
The 95 gr Berger VLD hunting, 105 gr A-max, or 105 gr Berger VLD hunting bullets still expand for quick kills on varmints waaaaay out there 2cents

-Mike

Posts: 2293 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the warm welcome and all of the advice. Your post certainly gave me a lot of options. I'm sure most of you would agree that planning a new build is half the fun.

Posts: 948 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
The real fun is when you start planning the 2nd build cause you can't have just 1 xp eek2
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I shoot a xp in 6br, it has a 1-12 twist and shoots the 80 gr ssp sierra's. I use it for deer and have shot coyotes with it as well.

so far 1 coyote at 225, 1 buck deer 265 and a doe @ 225 yards. haven't tried anything else as this bullet does everything at 2933 fps and shoots under .50 at 100 yards.
the 6mmxc probably will have a long throat on most reamers, you may have to order your own with the lead and throat you want.

Posts: 57 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Welcome to the group Mike. I'm not sure how far your long range varmints might be but for 70-80 grain bullets and guessing at long range for myself I would give the Dasher serious consideration. Regardless of the case a good barrel smith will throat it for the bullet of your choice. Look at the bullet BC on the bullet mfg's sight and twist recommendation.

Posts: 1627 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Welcome, did your WV buddy have to teach you how to log on the computer ?

Posts: 950 | Location: waycross,ga | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
Yes ga sixgunner , he "showed me " all about this " Dot Com Machine ". He also taught me how to use my "Trac Phone " !

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
And I got him "hooked" on xp's Troll
I should be ashamed """"""not""""""
Nmhunter

Again welcome to SP Mike