Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Striker Optics Login/Join 

posted
Putting my .223 Striker back in service. It has a short fixed 4X pistol scope I can't get a decent sight picture with. Curious if a red dot would mount on the Weaver 2 piece bases. And, if it would be good out to 100 yards? I have a really hard time getting a proper sight picture with the 4X.

I switched the barrel out from a custom .221 fireball so I can hunt with this one. Most of my area is open land and the 9 twist factory barrel should shoot some heavier bullets ok.

Posts: 272 | Location: the brushies | Registered: September 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of blades
posted Hide Post
Pistol scopes are noted for for small view area and finicky about how you look through them. The red dot will work - but in some lighting can become a problem to see, no magnification, and a 3min dot covers 3" at 100 yards. another thing is if you wear glasses you tend to get refraction ( dot is not round or a tail hanging off it)

Posts: 526 | Location: WI | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Consider a rifle scope. I have rifle scopes on both of my XP's, 223 and 20 Vartarg.

Posts: 157 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I do red dots regularly out to 100 yds., but it's tricky and a challenge.
Why short change the .223. It's a long range gun. Get a Burris 3-12X handgun scope. Start shooting it on 3X and gradually increase the power as your confidence increases. You'll like the options of power on the scope and not get stuck with a fixed power scope that you'll regret later.

Posts: 1848 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
If you go the red dot route, you’ll probably want to change the 2 piece base to a one piece like the EGW offering:

EGW Base

As far as pistol scopes go, I have the same problem. My arms must be short as they all require a very long reach for me and that leads to uncomfortable position, bad shooting, & fatigue. I use riflescopes as much as I can and have done so on a 223 contender. But another good option is the Vortex Crossfire II Scout 2-7x. It has about 10-12” eye relief, decent glass, and runs about $150 new. I’ve got these on a couple specialty pistols and love them.

Chris

Posts: 683 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
How you shoot makes a world of difference. I hunt from stands with counter tops, so I can use a bag rest from all locations. I do not need nearly as much eye relief as someone who just holds the handgun at arms length. I pretty much have used Burris 2-7 variable handgun scopes until the last few years when I got a hold of my first Weaver Classic Extreme Rifle Scope at the local Gun shop. I looked it over and decided it would work on low power on a handgun.

I have a Weaver Classic Extreme 8-32X on my 223 Encore. I normally leave it on 8X for Maximum Eye Relief. My 260 Rem, 7.62x54R, and 356 Win Encore's all have 2.5-10X Classic Extreme Scopes.

Find a 30mm Rifle Scope with loads of eye relief, and an EGW Base as was suggested above. The EGW base gives you more ring mounting locations to work with.

In a handgun scope Burris variables are hard to beat. I have old and new 2-7 Burris scopes. The new ones are way clearer than my old 1992 ones.

A buddy of mine is trying out a 2-7 Scout Scope on his handgun. He says it is working fine.

I have several Tube Type Red Dots on different things. If you have enough space between the Rings the 30mm MatchDot is a good choice. I have a 1" UltraDot, 30mm MatchDot's, as well as 30mm UltraDots. You can see a lot more through the 30mm. Do not expect tack driving accuracy using a Red Dot. The UltraDot has a 4 MOA Dot Size. You have the option of a 2 MOA Dot size using the MatchDot.

Good Luck finding a set up you like. You need to spend lots of time looking through handgun glass to get up to speed finding your target in a hurry.

Bob Roach

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Viper225,

Posts: 331 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a 22-250 Striker. I have a older Burris 3-12 on it, the optic clarity and color are superb. I'm not sure what the newer 3-12s are like. I have a ton of pistol scopes i have squired over the years. The Burris 3-12 is at the top of the heap.

I think the biggest factor is where we live and what we shoot. My motto is if you don't like it pull it off and try something else. No wonder I have such a pile of junk laying around with that kind of thinking.

Jon

Posts: 1600 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K9TXS:
Consider a rifle scope. I have rifle scopes on both of my XP's, 223 and 20 Vartarg.

This ^^^

There isn't much recoil and I even have a rifle scope on my un-braked Contender 7-30 Waters. I detest pistol scopes.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
Back when I had my Striker, I ran a 6.5-20 Leupold Vari-x III on my .243 barrel, it worked very well for me. I suspect you can run about any rifle scope on your .223 with no trouble. As far as red dots go, I'm really liking the Trijicon MRO I've been using for the last year or so.

------------------------------
I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 2154 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
OK! After screwing around with two pistol scopes, I'm putting on a 3 x 9 Nikon rifle scope today. It isn't a long piece, fits well.

Question today is, on this Striker .223, should the tube be pushed all the way forward or backwards a bit? Sight picture is full with the tube slid rearward.

The pistol will be used in a ground stand on a bipod. Don't want the scope eye.

.22cal centerfire loads are legal to hunt here and my open field shots are not over 125yrds with 69gr hand loads.

(Looks like I'll have two pistol scopes to sell too).

Posts: 272 | Location: the brushies | Registered: September 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
i would slide the scope to what ever gives the best hammer access

Posts: 2086 | Location: Kasson MN | Registered: August 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jtf:

(Looks like I'll have two pistol scopes to sell too).

or two more barrels to buy

Posts: 2086 | Location: Kasson MN | Registered: August 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Just something to think about. If the rifle scope doesnt work out, you might want to look at a Scout scope. There are some nice ones out there that give you more eye relief than a rifle scope and a good field of view. I have been playing with some rather low end ones that have held up and work for me around here.

Posts: 123 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Got scope mounted and set but will have to change rings. It's going to take a rear insert to raise the tube. Maybe I'll get lucky and find the parts at one of the shops today. Pistol is now paired to a 3 x 9 Nikon.

Next try will be a scout scope, thanks all.

In our rural mtn. county of 60,000 we have four retail gun shops, not counting the big box stores...and still can't keep stuff on the shelves. (Another topic).

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
Most people who have trouble with handgun scopes haven’t taken the time to learn how to use them. Like Doc stated above, learning from lower settings and working up to higher magnifications. You can’t just crank it up to its highest magnification for every shot opportunity and expect a full field of view. Also, your arms don’t have to be fully extended when using pistol scopes. You either pull your arms in or move your head back, or forward, whichever is the situation at the time. This goes for fixed or variable power scopes. It’s adjusting to make it work for each scenario. Also, a full field of view isn’t always necessary either. Seeing the reticle clearly on target is.

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1826 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I adjust as BT suggests, rarely on full X. It doesn't matter to my eyes if scope is fixed 4 power or other wise. The ONLY improvement is mounting a rifle scope. ONLY! Had to try a lot of setups to come to this conclusion.

After deer season, the bases will be switched to one piece and the rings will be lowest profile, and the rifle scope will be the largest tube/objective workable.

When shooting at game, screwing around with my sight picture and arm position isn't an option.

The good news today is the small tube 2 x 6 worked well enough to shoot small groups with factory ammo. The .223 9 twist is mild recoil so mounting a rifle scope will have no adverse effect. Cut the stock savage factory barrel to 16" and slow burning powder hand loads should have no flash.

Due to recent failing sight and eye operations, the cross hairs will have to be BOLD, at least on the outsides of the picture.

Glad the switch barrel went from .243 to .223. I think the 69 grain bullets will work fine in this setup.