Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm BR vs TCU Login/Join 

posted
I currently have an XP100 in 7mm TCU, but have a chance to pick up another in 7mm BR. Looks like the BR offers a decent amount more muzzle velocity, but my concern is brass availability. I really like being able to form 7mm TCU from .223, but forming 7mm BR is a bit more involved. I know Petersen is offering brass, but it isn't exactly cheap.

Anyone regret going with a 7mm BR?

Posts: 64 | Location: Middle GA | Registered: October 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I shoot mostly mild loads in my 7br, brass seems to last forever. There is the occasional seller that has new or lightly used 7BR brass. I probably get 20 firings from the Remington cases. Never shot 7TCU from a bolt gun.

Posts: 778 | Location: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: August 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Petersen is offering brass, but it isn't exactly cheap.

Yeah, but it appears to be much better brass than Rem. In addition, it's available in #50 box. thumbup

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Brass availability for the 7 BR is a concern. I have had both the BR and 7 TCU in XP's, and with most loads the 7 BR beats the 7 TCU around 150 - 175 FPS. Accuracy with both was excellent - and brass life is good with both. If I had to choose - I would go with the 7 BR.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Gonzales, LA | Registered: October 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
These days you just gotta be content even finding the components you need. New, quality brass around a buck each aint too bad.

7 BR brass from SSK

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1825 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 44MAG
posted Hide Post
I enjoy them both but if I had to say my ultimate favorite is the 7BR in the XP-100. 15 inch barrel and it is a shooter with a load that was given to me from a Top Gun fellow member. Nice thing about the 7TCU is the brass availability and easy to form no doubt however I had the forsight to purchase a lot of 7BR brass back a few years and I am still using the same brass going on about 6 reloads saving some new unfired brass. Up until then did I just start annealing the 7BR brass and I shall see how that goes forward with extending the life of the brass.
If your looking to get the 7BR you shouldn't be disappointed and having the 7TCU makes it more economical for shooting and reloading too.

Posts: 135 | Location: WA | Registered: April 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Knucklehead 61
posted Hide Post
Peterson is printing 7BR brass and Graf's is the dealer. Little over a buck per round, but it is some nice brass. Even came packed in a very nice plastic, foam padded box. I would rather buy the new formed brass than go through forming it myself. I may be old, but my time is still valuable to the grandkid and his grandma. Besides 50 or a hundred rounds of good brass will last a long time.
Going to load some this p.m.. I shoot both TCU and BR, 7TCU was my first wildcat and I'm still a bit partial to it. Smile

Posts: 87 | Location: south of the piney woods | Registered: December 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You won't regret buying a xp in 7 BR. I have 2 of them and brass lasts forever.If you buy it that way you will have a small bolt action and a large bolt face action if you want to do something down the road.

Posts: 1600 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I always want to try a XP in 7mm TCU.

Posts: 142 | Location: Eastern,Pa | Registered: April 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I really like the 7mm BR in the XP-100.

Mine is all stock except for the stock.

I get good accuracy from two bullets (all I’ve tried so far).

1. Nosler 120 BT @ 2500 fps with 0.6” groups at 100 meters
2. Nosler 150 ABLR @ 2335 fps and 0.6” groups at 100 meters

I’ve got 150 pcs of brass. When that is gone I’ll rebarrel to something else.

Nice round.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Peterson Cartridge has 7mm BR cases for sale on their website.

Peter Resetz

Posts: 144 | Location: Lapeer, MI. | Registered: September 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
In the early 1980s, IHMSA offered turn key XPs that were rechambered to 7-308 before the Rem 7-08 was developed. Thus, you could re-chamber the 7BR if you want to use commonly available brass. You can get more velocity, of course, with the added powder capacity. To duplicate 7BR velocities, you will have to use somewhat more powder in the bigger case.

Posts: 23 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: October 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a stock , skinny barreled xp in 7 br. Many small groups at 100 and 1 inch at 200. 120 ballistic tip. Planned on re/barreling , but it shoots/hunts to good to change.

Posts: 465 | Location: Central east coast Florida.  | Registered: November 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The thought of rechambering to 7mm-08 crossed my mind, and makes sense considering I already load for the round. I've already picked up a set of Redding dies and around 180pcs of BR brass, so I'll likely keep it as is for now...180pcs should last me a while.

Posts: 64 | Location: Middle GA | Registered: October 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Depending on your 7BR chamber tolerances, the 7mm-08 may or may not completely clean up the original chamber

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12168 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of flipajig
posted Hide Post
Something that hasn’t been brought up or I missed it. What do you intend to use the 7 bR for a target range gun or a hunting rig. I had a 7BR for a time i bought the gun in a package deal that came with dies and brass and I already load for a 7tcu a 7-30 Waters a 7-08 and a 280 Remington so I had plenty of reloading components so why not buy it and it was a Very good deal. I started researching the Ballistics and comparing to the other calibers that I already load for the 7br is ballistically similar to the 7-30 Waters actually a couple hundred fps slower the 7-30.
I use most of my pistols for hunting rigs the 7BR just didn’t fit in.
I rebarreled the action to a 22-250 barrel.
Flip

Posts: 375 | Location: Idaho | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Honestly, I have no idea what I am going to do with the pistol. I already have an XP100 in 7mm TCU, as well a Super 14 Contender in 7-30 Waters, so I am set up pretty well to load for the round. Only thing is, you don't get the cheap brass option of the TCU, or the extra velocity for hunting like the Waters, but it should still be fun to play with.

I've picked up 100pcs of brass, and as soon as my next package gets out of USPS purgatory, I should have closer to 200 pcs...that should last me a while!

posted Hide Post
You have the 7 mm’s covered so go with a 6 BR

Posts: 2060 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HandCanonShootr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay HHI6818:
You have the 7 mm’s covered so go with a 6 BR

Yeah I'll second that!
6BR XP Great (Reargrip here), my great 7TCU is a MGM'Tender. Both shoot to .3MOA, the 6BR is just a longer range round.

Not quite all 7mm covered, how about the .284Win, 7WSM, 7SAUM?

Mike B.

----------------------------
Everything in excess!
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.

-Lazarus Long

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth—
This was the ancient Law of Youth.
Old times are past, Old days are done:
But the Law runs True, O Little Son!

-Charles T. Davis

Posts: 1526 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: December 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post