Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

xp-100 7mm-08 question Login/Join 

posted
So I just acquired a late 80's custom shop 7mm-08. I have some questions as I have only been mostly a TC guy. Any help will be appreciated on the gun and also the caliber for pistol purposes. I am a reloader and will roll my own..

- Does anyone have any good load data for pistol performance? I would think the lighter bullets 120 etc, would be better but looking for info on peformace on missouri deer.

-My gun does not have a break on it. Would it be better to install a weaver/pic base with 3 rings or more to prevent scope slide?

-It currently has a leupy 4x on it but been shootins sp's with rifle scopes, should I stick with the 4x or put a 4x12 on it for performace?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance. Mike in Missouri

Posts: 27 | Location: Central Missouri  | Registered: August 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1290:
So I just acquired a late 80's custom shop 7mm-08. I have some questions as I have only been mostly a TC guy. Any help will be appreciated on the gun and also the caliber for pistol purposes. I am a reloader and will roll my own..

- Does anyone have any good load data for pistol performance? I would think the lighter bullets 120 etc, would be better but looking for info on performance on Missouri deer.

-My gun does not have a break on it. Would it be better to install a weaver/pic base with 3 rings or more to prevent scope slide?

-It currently has a leupy 4x on it but been shooting sp's with rifle scopes, should I stick with the 4x or put a 4x12 on it for performance?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance. Mike in Missouri

Nice Snag!
I would put a 20 MOA picatinny rail (EGW) on.
H-4895 with 120 (42.0 grains) or 140 NBT's (40 grains) did awesome for me on deer and antelope.
A brake is a personal decision.
If you want to keep the Custom Shop lines, 4-port Mag-Na-Port would be a way to go.

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot for your help!

Posts: 27 | Location: Central Missouri  | Registered: August 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks a lot for your help!

You are welcome.
What taper is your barrel?
My ole custom (not Custom Shop) XP in 7-08 had 4-port Mag-Na-Port.
I could have run a rifle scope on it, as it had a heavy barrel and a H-S Precision stock.
Today on custom XP's I run solid bottomed brakes.
I have two Custom Shop XP's (6 BR and 250 Savage). I may get them mag-na-ported (4-port), but I am not going to brake them, so as to keep the lines.

If that doesn't matter to you get a good solid bottomed brake.

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I do have another question, does the Remington model 7's mounts work on a XP?

posted Hide Post
it is the medium taper not the heavy.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I do have another question, does the Remington model 7's mounts work on a XP?

Yes.

Posts: 1676 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
M1290, Congrats on your new gun! Big Grin Like you, I'd been a Contender guy until about 5 years ago when I started using XP's for deer hunting. The first deer hunting XP I got was chambered in 7-08. It's become one of my favorites. In fact, if I could only keep one of my XP's for deer hunting, w/o hesitation it'd be the 7-08. I've killed 7 deer and 3 hogs w/ it. Although I've killed deer w/ 130 (Speer HotCor and Speer BTSP) and 140 grain (NBT) bullets, I prefer 120 gr bullets, particularly the NBT, Sierra Pro Hunter and Barnes TTSX. They've worked really well on the small whitetail deer we have. I think the 130 gr bullets are a little too hard at my velocities. I've been using Winchester or Hornady brass, depending on which is available. All my loads use Rem 9 1/2 primers and either H4895 or Varget powders. My favorite loads run 2650-2700 fps:
120 gr NBT or Sierra w/ 44.0 gr of H4895.
120 gr Barnes TTSX w/ 45.0 gr of Varget.
I'm confident you're going to enjoy your new gun. thumbup Keep us updated.

Posts: 1676 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I certainly will and thanks for the great information! I have plenty of varget so that is exciting news! Thanks again Mike

posted Hide Post
So my 7mm-08 has a leupy 4x on it. Looking to sell it probably I don’t try to hammer people and was wondering what would be a good move price on it including shipping?? I haven’t sold a pistol scope in a good while. It is gloss finish

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
So my 7mm-08 has a leupy 4x on it. Looking to sell it probably I don’t try to hammer people and was wondering what would be a good move price on it including shipping?? I haven’t sold a pistol scope in a good while. It is gloss finish

Send me a picture ernieemily@yahoo.com

posted Hide Post
Email sent, all is inbound to me. Will send pics when I get it

posted Hide Post
So there is a Xp-100 on gb right now in 7-08 that has a beautiful wood checkered stock on it center grip. I know a lot of you are knowledgeable on this and if possible if you take a look can anyone tell me who did that stock? I need one!!!!

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure that is either a custom one-off or those are simply not made anymore

posted Hide Post
Ok thanks. It looks incredible

posted Hide Post
So got the xp, very different to shoot than a contender for sure. Had some vit n140 and 120 nbt’s and got a load of 42 gr to shoot 3/4 at 100. Weird thing is I shot better taking my support hand off the gun and using it for my rear bag to squeeze and the groups got really nice. Is this normal of is there a special way to hold these things?

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Well heck in one day I figured it out.... what a stud!

posted Hide Post
Not much of a YouTube fella, they say they are private

posted Hide Post
I have shot linebaughs and have a ask 375/06, but this is a different ball game

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
I forgot for some reason to make them public. Thanks for the heads up.
Try again. Please let me know if one or both works.
https://youtu.be/q377TpF9KRM

https://youtu.be/wlyHHUdIIrw

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Nice!

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
You can shoot quite accurately that way even with the 6.5x47 Lapua.
https://youtu.be/yHD-MWaFpto

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Or past a mile... https://youtu.be/StlxcMAcGSQ

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Or even beyond 2000 yards...
https://youtu.be/1Fejtumy204

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
Great videos and info, thanks a lot you all!

posted Hide Post
On an older post from scheehan93 there is a 6.5cm do post from February with a nice looking stock on it. Can anyone tell me the company or who made that stock. Looks really nice. Thanks

posted Hide Post
Sorry post was jroc

posted Hide Post
I shoot a 7-08 XP-100 in IHMSA. Built in the 1980s for open sight rules and weight, so has a very skinny barrel, 15", center grip. I later put on 600-660-Model 7 scope mounts and Leupold 2.5x8 pistol scope which does not give full field over about 5x in Creedmoor. No problem getting 40's with it using 139 Hor SP, 34 gr IMR 4895. Same POI to 200 m with 37 or 38 VV N140 and 154 Hor SP. I have also used 35 gr IMR 4895/Hor 154 SP in matches.

Posts: 24 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: October 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the load info. I just got out to shoot some 120 nbt’s with some vit n140 I had around. Really liked 42.0 grains. Now onto the varget! I shot some federal 120 fusion more for brass which is good because it did not like those!

Picture of LoneStar
posted Hide Post
What did the OP not like about the Fusion ammunition? Any published load will work in his XP, what does he want to do with it, hunt (what?), target shoot, silhouettes? Bullet weight/design will be determined by use, as will scope choice.

The load which gives the highest velocity in a rifle will do so in a handgun, although the blast and accuracy may not be acceptable. Tell us more about what he wants to do....

“The 30-06 is the world's most over-rated big game cartridge" - Elmer Keith

Posts: 992 | Location: Superstition Mountains | Registered: August 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post