Specialty Pistols
Choate Ultimate Varmint Stock

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/5960014496

June 05, 2019, 09:13 AM
Predator_huntin
Choate Ultimate Varmint Stock
So I called Choate last week and spoke with a super nice lady there about the blemished Ultimate Varmint stocks. Ended up ordering one for a savage centerfeed 4.4” spacing for $125 + shipping to start my pistol build. The stock came in and I can’t see a blemish on it anywhere. My thoughts on it, wow that is one beefy stock...very solid and heavy. Still unsure if I’ll go the designated action and short barrel route or if I’ll do a “rifle” build with 16”+ barrel/26” overall length. I need to mock it up and look at some measurements hopefully later today and see what length barrel falls outside the forend area. Having only ever had a striker for a few days, these bolt pistols seem large compared to the TC’S I’m used to shooting with 14”-15” barrels.

Chris
June 05, 2019, 09:39 AM
Crubear
They have seconds?
June 05, 2019, 09:53 AM
Predator_huntin
quote:
Originally posted by Crubear:
They have seconds?

Yes, just call the number on their website and they will check stock on the phone to see if they have any blemished for the model you’re seeking in stock. $125 plus shipping is what they told me, and I can’t see a blemish anywhere on it except for one spot on the bottom of the forend where the black is almost a grayish color about the size of a dime. I missed that spot on my first inspection honestly. Since I was planning on taking a dremel to it and cutting the stock off I figured giving the blemished a shot was a no brainer...I couldn’t be happier. Now to get in the shop in a bit and mock up barrel lengths with another savage rifle I have to see if a short barrel will work with this long forend...

Chris
June 05, 2019, 11:02 AM
Predator_huntin
From my measurements with another savage rifle, a 14” barrel will be about flush with the end of the forend....so a 15” would be a good length to have threads for a muzzle brake or suppressor.

Now to decide if the extra inch in shortness is worth the designated action expense...17” seems like a popular heavy barrel length for these type pistols and keeping overall to 26”+ is super easy with this stock...

Chris
June 05, 2019, 09:54 PM
Iowa Fox
Here is a pic of that stock with a 15" barrel and Ross S brake. When I got this one a few years ago a second was $99 plus $10 shipping,I never could find a blemish to make it a second. I just used a hacksaw then a file to smooth things out.

Jon

June 06, 2019, 07:48 AM
Predator_huntin
Jon, thanks for the pic and confirming the measurements I was thinking. That’s a beautiful rig you have there!

Chris
June 06, 2019, 07:49 AM
Predator_huntin
Jon... BTW, what caliber is that one?

Chris
June 06, 2019, 08:31 PM
Iowa Fox
Chris, that one is a Criterion 243 throated for 105s & 107's. Its a good shooter except for when your nut comes loose and then you can't hit the broad side of a barn. But then again I'm old & so shaky I can't hit a barn any time.

Jon