Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do yall like MOA Handguns? Login/Join 

posted
Ive seen some pictures.. never seen one in person, much less shot one.. the more i see of them the more i like em... cant get one any time soon, but i think it may be on the list now...

Any issues? How accurate are they with very decent hand loads? Bug hole at 100 yards? Or is half inch groups more normal? Im not sure what caliber id get yet either... im quite well covered on calibers... how is the recoil? More straight back in your palm or do the have muzzle flip bad? Id have a brake on it either way...

Just wanting some info and experiance... they dont seem too badley priced either... spent way more on the XP100 i built...

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Corrected....good luck! A lot of folks here own them. Maybe you could hook up with someone close and try one out to make up your mind before you purchased.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TXBRASS,

CW
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!

www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -

Posts: 1226 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
MOA is a falling block - not a break-barrel !

Posts: 1351 | Location: Gonzales, LA | Registered: October 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
I own one chambered for 7mm WSM and it's accurate and comfortable to shoot. I like how it's compact compared to a XP with a equal barrel. The only down side I have is the extraction of a fired case. It's iffy at best, when I carry it hunting I make sure to carry a cleaning rod just in case. I will say that this may have more to do with the short mag case than the guns design.

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3503 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
They are typically a sub 1/4 to 1/2 MOA SP.
With the short fat or magnum cartridges extraction can be more of a challenge since Rich did not have these cartridges in mind when he created the MOA

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
SEB Coaxial Front Rest - Dealer
http://sebrests-usa.com/
http://www.sebrests.com/
SP's by Bayside Custom Gunworks, Nine Run Gun, Aaron Alexander, Mac's Gunworks, and Holland's Gunsmithing

Posts: 12075 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It depends on what you are going to use it for
I only shoot from a Bench for accuracy
Not as accurate as an XP
VERY cumbersome to operate and eject cases
COOL fator is Awesome
Mine is 6 PPC, I never have gotten the accuracy that I was looking for

DAN

Posts: 719 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DAN L:
Not as accurate as an XP
COOL fator is Awesome

DAN

Wow that suprises me.. id think a ppc in that would shoot great! Doesnt sound like they are as accurate as i thought they may be... they look like they would bughole... i read he puts benchmark barrels on em... im not a fan of benchmark... thats my first issue i caught.... the aww and look factor is bada**... i love the look...

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Chambering isn't everything.
Douglas barrels are not BR barrels.
Some are great while others are good

SP's by Bayside Custom Gunworks, Nine Run Gun, Aaron Alexander, Mac's Gunworks, and Holland's Gunsmithing

Posts: 12075 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sniper338:
quote:
Originally posted by DAN L:
Not as accurate as an XP
COOL fator is Awesome

DAN

Wow that suprises me.. id think a ppc in that would shoot great! Doesnt sound like they are as accurate as i thought they may be... they look like they would bughole... i read he puts benchmark barrels on em... im not a fan of benchmark... thats my first issue i caught.... the aww and look factor is bada**... i love the look...

You probably saw my ad on GB listing a benchmark barrel. My choice because I do not like to lap barrels. Douglass barrels are not lapped. Also went that route knowing the barrel was to be nitrided. Still have a MOA in 6x47L that has a Krieger barrel with the above concerns. I have achieved very good accuracy with Douglass barrels but took another route.

I like the MOA because of the shorter, lighter receiver and putting all the weight in the barrel. Accuracy may be slightly less due to a slower lock time. All my MOA's have the hammers skeletonized to offset this potential problem.

Extraction is not That big a problem if you follow a few steps - first drop the lever enough to expose the case head to help cooling, second tilt the muzzle VERTICLE(most shooters cannot understand this concept), lastly open the lever all the way. The chamber needs to be kept clean, try not to load too hot, do not use cast bullets, and try to use a chambering that has some body taper and not an overly long neck.

Hopefully Gary/the new owner can get production up and running soon. I know he has done barrels but making new receivers may take a little longer.

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1488 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted Hide Post
I like mine just fine. It's a 6.5 TCU. The grip frame feels like the FA that I am so fond of.

If they ever start making them again, I might order a bigger 6.5.

Tim

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

Posts: 6977 | Location: Western NY | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've never owned one. Played with a couple. Don't know how people were loading their ammo but I saw quite a few problems with extraction at the first MOA match I went to. I watched Ernie shoot one in a 6.5. Seems like I remember him dropping the hammer a second time after the shot was fired then raising the muzzle before opening the lever to try and extract the cartridge.

I do like how compact they are. They are also light weight, lighter than an xp with a similar barrel. Decent triggers too. I think for a straight up BR gun are lacking, but for a field gun I think they would be good.

Posts: 2708 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Good description Aaron

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems like I remember him dropping the hammer a second time after the shot was fired then raising the muzzle before opening the lever to try and extract the cartridge.

That has become second nature Big Grin

Glenn

Posts: 3503 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Wished they were not that way (makes reloading slower), but that is what works best for me.

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
Dropping the hammer a second time does work when the gun is hot or loads are too hot. Been there, done that.

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1488 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dropping the hammer a second time does work when the gun is hot or loads are too hot. Been there, done that.

If my loads are too hot, then this gun isn't as strong as I thought it was. Factory loads require a second hammer drop and then that's still iffy.
PLEASE STOP BLAMING THE LOADS!!
I have cases where the rim is barely nipped by the extractor, that's the real problem, I deal with it by making sure I have a way to extract a fired case, hunting is no big deal cause the first shot better count but there is no way I would enter it in a contest where I'm being timed. Hopefully the new owner will address and if possible correct this problem to an other wise excellent gun!

Glenn

posted Hide Post
I have two MOA's. One 6BR and 7BR and one in 250 Savage. I used to shoot silhouette's with them. I have never had an extraction problem. I used them extensively with cast bullets and shot many 40's. To eject I just cocked the hammer, opened the lever, tilted the barrel up and the case fell out. I had a match director that timed my shots in a match one time. I shot every 28 seconds. This was with cast bullets. (I won that match with a 40 and 7 of 10 shoot off chickens at 220 yds.) I have taken a number of deer with the 250 and a few with the 7BR. I never have felt handicapped by the MOA.
Tom

Posts: 285 | Location: upstate PA | Registered: September 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted document.write('<nobr>'+ myTimeZone('Mon, 07 Sep 2015 16:58:25 GMT-0700', 'September 07, 2015 07:58 PM')+'</nobr>');September 07, 2015 07:58 PMSeptember 07, 2015 07:58 PMHide PostquoteBig Grinropping the hammer a second time does work when the gun is hot or loads are too hot. Been there, done that. If my loads are too hot, then this gun isn't as strong as I thought it was. Factory loads require a second hammer drop and then that's still iffy. PLEASE STOP BLAMING THE LOADS!! I have cases where the rim is barely nipped by the extractor, that's the real problem, I deal with it by making sure I have a way to extract a fired case, hunting is no big deal cause the first shot better count but there is no way I would enter it in a contest where I'm being timed. Hopefully the new owner will address and if possible correct this problem to an other wise excellent gun!

My above suggestions were meant as a good way to reduce extraction problems. Sounds like you should have replaced the extractor long ago.

As for the strength of the MOA: One of Rich's early tests was to load a 308 case full of Bullseye, seat a 150gr bullet and fire - no problem. Mext test was to repeat but jam another 150 into the barrel - stretche the frame about .003 and slightly bulge the barrel - no crash boom or bang. Case should be closed on strength issue. A MOA is like any other firearm, has its quirks you have to adjust to or work around. No it is not perfect but still worth consideration. Respectfully. Gary

----------------------
I am that idiot.

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
I like my MOA. I going to have another barrel made and fitted in 243 for it sometime this year or early next year. My MOA is a............376 Steyr. Yes, it does go BOOM! and clears the benches on either side of where I'm shooting. Very accurate with 225grn SP bullets and Varget. No extraction problems. If I don't hot rod the round I can cock the trigger, move the firing pin lever, open the action and tilt barrel up and the round falls out.
With the break it had the grips comes almost straight back and twists just a little.
The buddies sure like to bust off a few when at the range. It does get attention.
I would like to have another in some 6 mm round. Maybe I will find one some day but now I will have
the other barrel fitted.
Mike'

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 3047 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 7fingers
posted Hide Post
I think it must be more of a novelty to own one. I have never seen one show up at our 1000yd steel plate competitions. Based on everything I have read about them it sounds like they are great for hunting and shooting prairie dogs but when it comes to out right performance the bolt guns dominate.

Posts: 296 | Location: Ohio | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sounds like its not what i want...

I love the look of this thing, i think if someone made it right it would be fabulous... id want an ejector though.. work the lever and the round flies out/pops out with some good force.... the barrel is not the quality id want either... kreiger bartlein or brux is my go to.... this thing seems to have the look of sometbing that could drive tacks... but it aint what it seems i guess...

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Some of my MOA's have Krieger barrels.
With that one MOA Krieger 15" 6.5-284 barrel, 5-shots in 5" on paper at 1000 yards at the MOA match. For set-up which is slow to reload and you have to rebuild your foundation with every shot this is exceptional accuracy.
I agree with your other thoughts.
My MOA's would usually shoot in the .2's at 100 yards when I did my part in load development.