Specialty Pistols
Suppressors on pistols...

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/5770076696

February 20, 2020, 11:22 PM
Hoser
Suppressors on pistols...
I don’t recall seeing discussions on using suppressors on the SPs you all are shooting. Lots of brake discussions, but nothing I have found on suppressor use.

I use mine on a XP-100 I occasionally shoot on our prairie dog hunts. Although it adds 8” to the OAL, I won’t shoot that XP without it anymore. I have a .223 Striker on the way soon, and plan to swap the barrel to another threaded heavy varmint taper barrel I have and add a can to it also.

My buddy and I usually PD Hunt from a custom bench built into the bed of his truck (we’re old) and elbow room is tight. The first time I lit off that .221 XP, it was obvious that wasn’t going to work for us/him! I had the barrel threaded, and attached my .223 can, and peace was restored.

Other than the obvious benefit of reduced muzzle blast, the cans let us shoot a bit more when the PDs are getting skittish later in the season.

So... anyone else using suppressors on their specialty pistols?

Hoser
February 21, 2020, 12:51 AM
rickiesrevenge
Once I build the can I will be! My form1 stamp is approved and I have the materials. Just need to make the time to do it.

The only SP I've seen in person with a can was Marc Sheehan' s 257imp.
Aaron
February 21, 2020, 09:58 AM
Magnum Mike
Sure, I thread most every contender barrel I have to use with a suppressor. As you note, its just so much more pleasant regardless of wearing ear pro or not. It also gives velocity a little boost, as a general rule, and I've found that accuracy can be improved by running a suppressor. I really like them for hunting, makes shooting in the vicinity of houses or livestock much easier as I have no real concern about noise.

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

February 21, 2020, 10:57 AM
Hoser
I did notice my .221 XP didn’t shoot as accurately with the can, but my .204 AR (my main PD rifle) shoots as well with as without.

I also Form1’d both of mine. I have a app in for another e-form 1 (last one took 28 days for approval), and have plans to build a shortie at 5” for the Striker. I plan to turn a taper on the threaded collar to blend with the barrel diameter.

I have a couple of Noveske “Flaming Pig” brakes that although aren’t classified suppressors, act to project sound forward instead of sideways like a brake. Does quiet it down a bit for those sitting next to you, but you will understand the name if you shoot it at night!

Hoser
February 21, 2020, 12:00 PM
Arrowflinger
I'm here in California. Whats a suppressor whine hammer
Derek
February 21, 2020, 02:43 PM
Hoser
My wife stopped by my range one day when I was testing my first suppressor:

Her: “Why did you wait so long to get one?”

Me: “What?”

Her: “Exactly.”
February 21, 2020, 04:42 PM
Iowa Fox
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
Once I build the can I will be! My form1 stamp is approved and I have the materials. Just need to make the time to do it.

The only SP I've seen in person with a can was Marc Sheehan' s 257imp.
Aaron

I remember he had a suppressed Ruger Mark on that same trip. The dogs just kept standing as he fired.

Jon
February 21, 2020, 11:11 PM
sheehan93
I have run a can on my 257 Rob AI at WYSHOT as the guys have mentioned, and i love it. I pretty much shoot it that way all the time now. Also the little can on the ruger 22lr pistol is a blast to shoot. As Iowa fox said, the dog just keep standing there.

Marc Sheehan

Life NRA Member
February 28, 2020, 04:14 PM
86alaskan
I run my suppressors on all my guns, especially the SP's. I've hunted with them on a savage striker with 30-06 barrel and 308 barrel, both of which where very controllable with the can on them. I would say both were hearing safe without earpro when hunting. I also use a can on my 7-30 waters encore with 12" barrel and 460sw encore with 16.5" barrel. the 460 has some git to it, but not all that bad when the loads are tailored to subsonic suppressed shooting. The 7-30 is a joy to shoot and quite quiet with the Silencerco Omega on it. I direct thread on all my guns as well. I use a SiCO Hybrid on the 460sw.
May 13, 2020, 09:31 PM
rickiesrevenge
What are people using for covers on their suppressors to deal with the mirage that comes off them? I've been shooting my can on a 15" 284. After 2 shots its really hard to see the target because there is so much mirage!

Aaron
May 14, 2020, 02:57 AM
Predator_huntin
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
What are people using for covers on their suppressors to deal with the mirage that comes off them? I've been shooting my can on a 15" 284. After 2 shots its really hard to see the target because there is so much mirage!

Aaron

I have a SilencerCo Hybrid and use their cover they make for it. It was expensive but does work excellent

Chris
May 14, 2020, 11:37 PM
Magnum Mike
Any of the suppressor covers will help with mirage. I ran an Omega300 (no cover) on my prs rifle and never really had issue with mirage but your running 10 rounds thru it in 2 minutes or less. They also make hi temp covers if you anticipate getting the suppressor really hot. They're expensive but so much better than peeling a low temp cover from your can(with what was its finish), not that i know anything about that...