Specialty Pistols
Questions on XP 100

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/5770070796

April 03, 2020, 04:15 PM
K9TXS
Questions on XP 100
I'm thinking about buying and XP 100, but don't really care for the forward grip. I have never fired or held a rifle caliber handgun, but decided I want one. I'm use to reloading for a bolt action and would feel more comfortable doing this over a break action style. Plus I think I would feel more comfortable with the bolt action over the break action.

Can the XP be converted to a rear grip by using a different trigger system?

Those of you that use the break action style, is there a big learning curve for reloading it?

I also thought about just getting a left handed action that left the factory as a pistol and build what I want. I know this would be a higher cost for the end product, but it would give me what I want instead of converting over the XP. Any thoughts on this.
April 03, 2020, 04:47 PM
Gator T/C
Good question! Welcome! The XP can be converted to a rear grip easily. You can also get bare actions that have never been assembled as a rifle and build a pistol. Remington makes both short and long left hand actions. You can get them in stainless or blue finish. What you decide as far as actions determines your options for stocks. Be sure and post pictures of your project as you go along.

Brad

------------------------------
Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 7x47(SSK),308 Bellm, .338 SSK Woodswalker (2),358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.243,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA .22LR, .243
XP-700LA .25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper
April 03, 2020, 05:18 PM
blades
the last series of xp's were rear grip. I have center/ mid grip units. In the loudenboomer calibers I prefer that easier for me to control. I also have a couple of Savage Strikers. The grip is a bit further back than the xp, but not a true rear grip. They are fun also. as was stated you can get undesignated receivers from Remington or Savage and build what you like from there. Note: unless the rules changed, you can make a rifle from a pistol designated action but not the other way around. Another point on the Savage units easy to change barrels and bolt face sizes for what ever trips your trigger no smithing needed for a change over.
A rear grip xp is just a 700 series action with a short barrel. So lots of after market trigger options.
I do not think the Strikers were made(oem ) in long action length. I have a 308 and a 223 set up at present, have a 243 barrel that drops on the 308 unit.
April 03, 2020, 05:27 PM
blades
I also have a bunch of the TC contenders ( break open units) loading for those is not any different than for bolt unit. If you looking for Loudenboomer cartridge then you would need to go to the TC Encore platform. ( that will cover just about anything in center fire)
I do not find that much difference in either style ( bolt or break open) shooting wise,but I have a lot of trigger time behind both as well as revolvers. Always a bit of a learning curve when going to something new to you.
Something like a 16" barrel in a bull configuration is going to be quite muzzle heavy in a rear grip vs something more forward grip wise. Course it does help slow recoil but muzzle breaks are the best way to tame that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: blades,
April 03, 2020, 07:40 PM
GeorgeXP700
One big advantage a center grip has over a rear grip is the scope eye relief. With the scope setting back around 6" rearward is you get a full picture in the objective at higher imaginations. Also I feel that you get more of a linear recoil with less muzzle raise.
April 04, 2020, 10:57 AM
Ernie
quote:
Originally posted by K9TXS:
I'm thinking about buying and XP 100, but don't really care for the forward grip. I have never fired or held a rifle caliber handgun, but decided I want one. I'm use to reloading for a bolt action and would feel more comfortable doing this over a break action style. Plus I think I would feel more comfortable with the bolt action over the break action.

Can the XP be converted to a rear grip by using a different trigger system?

Those of you that use the break action style, is there a big learning curve for reloading it?

I also thought about just getting a left handed action that left the factory as a pistol and build what I want. I know this would be a higher cost for the end product, but it would give me what I want instead of converting over the XP. Any thoughts on this.

You reload for a bolt specialty pistol the same way you do for a bolt action rifle.
Good thinking about going with left bolt/left port
Jim Rockwall on this site makes laminated stock for both center- and rear grip stocks.
You have a lot more strength from a bolt action compared to a break-open action, and it will not flex as much.
What chambering(s) are you considering?
What uses and max distances do you have in mind?
He does great work and he will take care of you

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
April 04, 2020, 10:59 AM
Ernie
Jim Rockwall - jroc
Rockwell Products SP Stocks and Grips
https://www.spstocksandgrips.com/

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
April 04, 2020, 01:09 PM
K9TXS
I'm thinking about going either with a .20 Practical or .20 Vartarg. I currently have 2 rifles set up in .20 Vartarg. I shoot the rifles to around 400 yards and I would like the new handgun to shoot accurately to the same distance.

I only hunt sage rats and prairie dogs. Before the virus came along, I would go to the range every other week.

I've seen his website. I like the looks of his work and I'm sure he can make the stock I want.

Most of my shooting will be from a rest, so I'm not really concerned about being muzzle heavy.

SCOPES: Since I have never held one of these let alone shoot one, do shooters prefer a rifle scope or handgun scope?
April 04, 2020, 02:02 PM
Rugershooter
Lots of options for building a rear grip, bolt handgun. Mid grip XP’s are becoming more and more scarce. It would seem a waste to destroy something that no longer is made, when building one from scratch, the way you want it would be so much easier.

Jimmy’s in Ft. Walton Beach, Florida, has a brand new Remington XP-100 rear grip, just begging to be sold. Give em a call.

I realize there are folks who will not like what I have said. But just like land, they arn’t making them anymore.
April 04, 2020, 02:11 PM
Ernie
quote:
Originally posted by K9TXS:
I'm thinking about going either with a .20 Practical or .20 Vartarg. I currently have 2 rifles set up in .20 Vartarg. I shoot the rifles to around 400 yards and I would like the new handgun to shoot accurately to the same distance.

I only hunt sage rats and prairie dogs. Before the virus came along, I would go to the range every other week.

I've seen his website. I like the looks of his work and I'm sure he can make the stock I want.

Most of my shooting will be from a rest, so I'm not really concerned about being muzzle heavy.

SCOPES: Since I have never held one of these let alone shoot one, do shooters prefer a rifle scope or handgun scope?

Use a Rifle Scope!
So many more advantages compared to a pistol scope, especially for the project and type of shooting you will be doing.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
April 14, 2020, 10:51 AM
dedeye
I have an xp in 7mmbr with a Herrett rear grip stock and a timney trigger that is for sale. PM me if interested.
April 25, 2020, 04:32 PM
Nashcat
Welcome from Spring Hill, TN.