Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Xtender 1911 conversion finale..... Login/Join 

posted
Hey guys,

We got the Xtenders to the range finally. I want to thank everyone here on SP Forums for your comments, questions and input on these on our previous posts. Also, for those that have contacted LC at Northern Rockies Armory, he extends a thanks as well.

From our last update, you can see these both show great potential. The .243 has been a solid performer with our loads, shooting sub-half MOA consistently with the 70gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. Looking at load data for a 15" Encore with the same pill, I'm guessing she's right at/over 3000fps.

The .243 and .308 were both extremely easy to shoot, recoil on both were mild. The muzzle brake on the .308 worked well and running 168's, was surprisingly mild. The .243 was a pussy cat, at a full 1/2 pound under the .308, and no brake, actually recoiled less than the .308.

I was accompanied by close friend, David Harrell on the excursion. I put him behind both, he'd handled both, but never fired either. As he stated, both were comfortable to shoot. Granted, he stated he was initially leary of them, but after he pulled the trigger, he commented on their shootability and lack of recoil.

As promised, we got the video uploaded and live for everyone......

https://youtu.be/8rAtJ9L3zX4

In closing, a huge thanks to everyone here, HHSP group and Handgun Hunting Addicts groups on Facebook. A huge shout out, and thanks to LC Sheline at Northern Rockies Armory for graciously sending these to us and giving us the opportunity to work with him on the project.

At a starting cost of $300, these are a solid investment folks. Workmanship and service from LC is top notch. I hope everyone enjoyed the write ups and videos, it was a fun project to tackle. I can see preparations being made to give these a home here.. may have to sell a kidney or something, but I really like these kits.

If you have any questions, please let us know, or contact LC at www.nramt.com

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Jeremy,
Great report on a new product.
Thanks for all you have done to promote our sport thumbup
-Mike

Posts: 2293 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I'm probably going to try one later in the year after I get some of my other projects completed, ok, or I just find a nice 1911 cheap! laugh

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19942 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Great job on the videos. This looks like a fun project, I wonder what there backlog is.

Posts: 26 | Location: SE Idaho | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sweet!

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Just wanted to extend another thanks for all the comments and feedback guys. Another thanks to everyone that's helped and reached out to LC.

The 243 has a permanent home now..... Big Grin

She'll make a great walking varmint rig......

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the threads and videos!

I ran across an original Xtender in .357 Max a couple of months ago and started looking around for information without much luck and I couldn't find any mentions or reviews of the Rocky Mountain unit in the wild.

I think at least one of these is going to find it's way here eventually...

Posts: 25 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have been in contact with L. C. About him building something in 6.5 caliber.
He said he look into it and is going to get back to me on a price. I don't have a
SP in 6.5 caliber yet. I think this could be fun.

Posts: 26 | Location: SE Idaho | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Here's a technical question I hope someone can answer.

If I'm building a dedicated frame for an Xtender or RMA, do I still need the 1911 ejector? I know it's not part of the extraction/ejection process but is it used in another capacity?

Posts: 25 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by awp_101:
Here's a technical question I hope someone can answer.

If I'm building a dedicated frame for an Xtender or RMA, do I still need the 1911 ejector? I know it's not part of the extraction/ejection process but is it used in another capacity?

It serves no legitimate purpose. The frame rails Bear the load along with the slide release. Don't see where it would be a problem omitting the ejector for a dedicated frame.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, that's what I needed to know! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great review, I worked for Bo Clerk when he was building this. i always thought it would be really fun to own, but since i didn't have a 1911 at the time and i did have a contender, I never got one from him. Since I left working their I have been trying to find one. what a blast from the past, I will be getting one when i can afford it.

---------------------------------
"All your skill is to no avail when an Angel ****es in your touch hole". :Old German hunters quote.

Posts: 167 | Location: Troy, MT | Registered: September 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hello:

If you do not mind me asking, how does this gun "balance" in the hand? I have heard the old Dominator has a very good feel or good ergonomics for shooting. I was wondering if this gun feels good or is it rear heavy or front heavy? \\

Also. How easy does it load and unload?

Thanks.

Posts: 570 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post