Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perfect scope for an xp-100 Login/Join 

posted
I am having some work done to an xp-100 and will need a scope here soon. I'm a die hard Leupold fan but I must admit that I am not too crazy about them on an xp due to eye relief issues. My gun is a center grip .223 and as far as use it will mostly be a paper puncher. I'm looking at ranges out to 300-350 yds and sometimes further but not on a regular basis. I was thinking about going with a Burris 4-12 pistol scope. I saw a guy who had one on his and seemed to fit well to me. Anybody have an experience with these Burris's? Also I am open to other pistol scopes as well. Also I have considered going with a rifle scope too, however I have a rifle scope on my rear group xp and feel like I would like to set this one up differently then my other. Any and all ideas are welcome.
Thanks
Teddy

Posts: 311 | Location: Indiana | Registered: October 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I only have around 14 Burris BPlexes (3-12X) on XPs and Encores. Shots to 500 are easy with them. I'm sure many people on here will tell you the rifle scope is better. That may be so if you only shoot paper, but if hunting is a possibility, the Burris is more practical. You can sight the Plexes at known ranges, then kill shots are 95-100%.

Posts: 1861 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a 2.5x8 Weaver on a center grip Striker in .308 that I like real well. Low end for hunting up to about 6x.Still can go up for target to 8x. It gets a bit picky on eye relief for me above 6x but for target work not a problem. The Burris should work well also though no experience with one of my own.

Posts: 399 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Eye relief issues with a leopold pistol scope? Never shot with a burris pistol scope. But I've got a couple leupold 2.5-8x pistol scope. Still use one when I put my 35wsm barrel on my xp. It recoils a bit much for me to be comfortable with a rifle scope.

Aaron

Posts: 2755 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
I used to use the 3-12 LER's with BP reticle and a elev target turret all the time.
I have went to rifle scopes.
I can find and engage targets or animals faster with rifle scopes than I ever could with the LER's. Steve and I even have used the 3-12 LER in roving tactical match back in 2004.

Get what you want and try it out...see what you like, and what works best for you.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12186 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I also loved the 3-12X Burris--probably overall the best of the LER's. I once calcd. the subtensions of the BP reticle to see how close it came to the 2-7X at ~7 or 8X, and it was very close. Try and mount it as far forward as possible if shooting prone off a bipod on a center-grip HG. I know the eye relief is long on that optic at 12X. Actually got a cramp once whilst trying to shoot a coyote on one of my HG's long ago.

I do remember that scope was responsible for 10 shots in a row at 585 yds. on 10" silhouettes from that ever-so-sweet Tannel-built 6.5-284 of Ernie's at the ITRC he's referring to in '04. One of the most memorable long-range shooting endeavors that I remember.

Steve

Posts: 2643 | Location: Pueblo, CO USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
That was a lot of fun.
We opened a lot of eyes that weekend.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12186 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I haven't hunted much with a single shot. Only taken a few deer and a hog plus vermin.

But I think I found a sleeper scope that's overlooked. The Redfield 3-9 MOA. Has MOA reticle and MOA dials. I went to 675 on a pdog in Wyoming and took several closer. The reticle is correct and best of all the scopes 250ish dollars.

It also tracked perfectly.

I find myself shooting in a tight position with the single shots. Not stretched out like I do with a revolver.

Posts: 4014 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of bowstryder
posted Hide Post
The only let relief scope I have is on a rear grip xpr and it's a burris 3-12. Had ler's on two centergrips and did NOT like how far I had to push to get the proper eye relief so all of my centergrips wear rifle scopes.
I had a sightron siii on my old centergrip .223 in 2-10 and it was a fantastic pairing. Jmo

Posts: 445 | Location: waynesboro, va | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
410shooter,
I've got 5 Burris 3-12X scopes mounted on XP's. I've never wished for a different scope on any of them. I've had parallax problems on 2 of them, but both were bought use from the 'net. I sent both back to Burris for warranty work. On both occasions Burris returned them w/in 2 wks w/ either factory refurbished or brand new scopes. Although the defective scopes had the regular plex reticle, the replacement scopes were upgraded to the "Ballistic Plex" reticle w/o any charges. Big Grin I know there are some here who prefer rifle scopes on handguns, I'm very content w/ LER scopes on handguns. For your use, I'd suggest the Burris 3-12X LER scope w/ "Ballistic Plex" reticle. thumbup

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1675 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Also while we are on the topic what kind of mount would you recommend? I was thinking a set of Leupold bases and rings???

Posts: 311 | Location: Indiana | Registered: October 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of bowstryder
posted Hide Post
That really depends on a few things. A lot of folks run rails with built in angle. Some run standard bases and rings. If you are ever wanting to swap around scopes the rails are easier. I have a few of both and they each serve a purpose.
My only 3-12 burris (ler scope) is in a leupy base and ring combo and it's cake out to 400 (still haven't mastered the long range with that one).
Hth

Posts: 445 | Location: waynesboro, va | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
what kind of mount would you recommend?

I now use only Weaver 1 piece base and Burris Signature Z- Rings (the ones w/ the plastic inserts). During the spring/summer a number of the 3-12X's sit on varmint guns. Come fall, I move them to deer hunting XP's. The switch is real easy using the above base/rings set up. 3-12X's stay on my 7-08 and 22 BR XP's full time.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1675 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My favorite XP-100 scope mount is the Ken Farrell Scope mount. It extends forward more than others allowing the Burris 3x-12x scope to be mounted such that it works great for prone or bench shooting.

https://www.kenfarrell.com/ind...20_27&product_id=298

quote:
Originally posted by 410shooter:
Also while we are on the topic what kind of mount would you recommend? I was thinking a set of Leupold bases and rings???

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post