Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Center grip xp barrel length preference Login/Join 

posted
I'm getting my thoughts and plans together for my first build. It will be a center grip and while it will be mostly shot from the bench or at the range it could see some hunting time. For the cartridge I'm thinking either 25BR, 250AI, or 25 creedmoor but leaning toward either the BR or Creedmoor with the latter holding an edge in my thoughts right now. The barrel profile will be at least varmint taper for the group buy stock or larger and will have a break. I am leaning toward the standard 15" + break but might be convinced to go a little longer so for those of you who have different lengths on your center grip guns lets hear the pros and cons.

Bruce

Posts: 1091 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Chris just ordered a reamer for a 25 Creedmoor/Pachmyer Dominator.
That barrel length will be sufficient.
Mine will be 15.5" to 15.95" before the brake.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised there hasn't been some bullet manufacture producing heavy match bullets for the 25 plus fast twist barrels, it's about the only caliber below 30 that has been neglected.

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Im just a notch er so ahead of you with like thoughts of uses.

Dropped at my gunsmith few days ago.
243 win. Heavy varmint taper in the mcmillan stock.
I decided to go 16” + the muzzle brake. Just because....thats what i want. By all means ask these experts, but do what you want, how you want it as first priority.

Think ill go post a question myself. Wink

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9425 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tgp:
I'm surprised there hasn't been some bullet manufacture producing heavy match bullets for the 25 plus fast twist barrels, it's about the only caliber below 30 that has been neglected.

Glenn

PacNor makes a 1 in 8 .257 barrel
But I do agree 25 don't get no respect for heavy bullets. A fast twist 25-06 would be a winner.
I prefer for a pistol 15" or less, over 16 should be on a rifle.

M

Posts: 299 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
115 grain Berger

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
quote:
115 grain Berger

That's the highest B.C. bullet on the market and it only has a G1 of 0.483, not bad but nowhere near what the upper range is for 6mm(115 gr. burger@.568) and 6.5mm.
I had talked to Corbin about a draw die to reduce .264 bullets but was told reducing them down .007" would probably result in a loss of accuracy.

Glenn

“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Build it like you want. I have them as short as 13" and as long as 18". Most of mine wear 16-18" barrels with the bulk 17". I really like straight taper barrels. McGowan #7 is one of my favorites.

I'd do the BR. But thats me. Lapua BR brass is awesome!

Also agree that a fast twist 25 with a heavy bullet would be awesome. 257 weatherby would make it a long range hammer. Need something in the 135gr range.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Although I'd like to go less for the purpose of handling, I'm of the mind that 15" is about as short as one can go and retain decent performance from sub 30 caliber chamberings.

thumbup Rod
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big10:
Although I'd like to go less for the purpose of handling, I'm of the mind that 15" is about as short as one can go and retain decent performance from sub 30 caliber chamberings.

Cartridge?

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Mine will be used primarily for hunting.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't agree with that statement. But I suppose it all depends on your definitions. My 14" and shorter 6mm dashers do pretty well. 13" 17 Ackley Hornet does pretty well too. Wouldn't chamber a 7mm dakota in a 13" tube

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I have a 15" XP in .250 AI by SSK. It's my favorite varmint gun. Killed around 900 groundhogs with it out to 500 yds., 30+, deer out to 300 yds. and several coyotes.
I love it's versatility taking all those animals. Mine shoots 85 gr., 100 gr. and 120 gr. bullets very close to same point of aim.
Plus, the black McMillan stock and stainless barrel/action makes it a looker.

Posts: 1855 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
quote:

I don't agree with that statement. But I suppose it all depends on your definitions. My 14" and shorter 6mm dashers do pretty well. 13" 17 Ackley Hornet does pretty well too. Wouldn't chamber a 7mm dakota in a 13" tube

Aaron

I don't doubt that, but all would benefit from a little more steel, IMO

thumbup Rod

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Aaron

Using that logic do you shoot 30" barrel rifles all the time?

Aaron

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:
115 grain Berger

In looking at Berger's website it looks like 1-9" twist will be fast enough for either cartridge.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
JLK has a 108 gr VLD 25 cal with a .500 bc.
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Aaron

Using that logic do you shoot 30" barrel rifles all the time?

Aaron

Did you miss this:

thumbup Rod