Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Pawnshop Find Login/Join 

posted
Just bought this Savage in 223 today at a pawn shop. 18” long barrel and 7/8” in diameter at muzzle. It’s my first bolt action handgun. $375 out the door. Don’t know much about these, is this a Striker?

Update: can’t figure out how to post pic from my iPhone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parisite,

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged. Eight generation Texan.

Posts: 27 | Location: Paris, TX | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Striker and a heck of a buy, too. The barrel is not a standard length though.

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1837 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Really like it but man that Striker stock is ugly.

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged. Eight generation Texan.

Posts: 27 | Location: Paris, TX | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
My email is in my profile. Send me some pics and maybe I can determine what you have there.

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1837 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am hoping you did not find this striker in North Louisiana.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: March 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Great find and price sure was great!!

Posts: 2063 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I took the stock off to see if it might need cleaning and discovered the barrel says “Savage model 12, 223”.

posted Hide Post
Strikers started life mid grip, left bolt right port, with 14 or 15 inch barrels.

Posts: 1609 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Can this mid grip Striker be converted to a rear grip trigger and me get another stock?

posted Hide Post
I am interested in the answer to your rear/mid trigger question.

How come my pawn shop finds cost more than gunbroker Roll Eyes

Posts: 143 | Location: WNY | Registered: January 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parisite:
Can this mid grip Striker be converted to a rear grip trigger and me get another stock?

Yes and yes.

Something tells me that some of the Strikers had an oddball bolt spacing. If I was going to do a rear grip I would contact Jim Rockwell first. He might just do one.

Jon

Posts: 1609 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
am hoping you did not find this striker in North Louisiana.

Me too!

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1674 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HandCanonShootr
posted Hide Post
Would a Model 12 indicate this is a rifle action? Pretty sure is. Advice to keep overall length at 26+" to stay legal. Might be why bbl is 18".

Mike B

----------------------------
Everything in excess!
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.

-Lazarus Long

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth—
This was the ancient Law of Youth.
Old times are past, Old days are done:
But the Law runs True, O Little Son!

-Charles T. Davis

Posts: 1526 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: December 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It's likely the barrel is a take-off from another gun and simply installed on the Striker action.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rugershooter:
I am hoping you did not find this striker in North Louisiana.

Found it in a pawn shop 100 miles northeast of Dallas, just south of the OK border.
I’m sure the barrel came off a bull barreled model 12 rifle and they cut it off to 18”.

posted Hide Post
Good find I found my Striker at a pawnshop about 3 years ago,in 7-08 first one I ever seen, $424.00 with tax. It has a 243 barrel on it now. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
Handi204

Posts: 229 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: January 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Good buy out there. Did you end up getting in from one of the pawn shops in Paris ? One of those pawn shops had Spanish fr-7 Mauser that I should have bought about 6 years back. I've had good luck there, the shops in Greenville, and mount pleasant.

Posts: 121 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post