Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best LR pistol- MOA? Login/Join 

posted
I hunt with revolvers and Contenders, 357 mag up through 7-30 Waters, but I'm looking to stretch my range and get more power out of my rig. I suspect I'll be using a rifle scope.

I've looked at the XP100 and variants, Wichita, Savage Striker, Weatherby pistol, Nosler pistol, FA 2008, Contender with JDJ rounds, Encore, and the MOA Maximum.

Lots of good choices, but for OAL and weight it seems like the MOA has the edge.

I've also been poring over short barrel cartridge data, which has required a new way of approaching killing power.

All that said, would y'all agree the MOA is a solid choice? What chambering would you consider to be optimal in a 14-16 inch barrel? Now that they're not being sold, I'd appreciate any leads on an MOA rig (it's the most frustrating gun maker to search!!).

If there's a better option, I'd love to hear your reasoning. I'm just trying to keep weight and bulk down while trying to do with a pistol what the rest do with their rifles.

Posts: 91 | Location: TX | Registered: September 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
The MOA has no parts support anymore which has basically killed the platform.

The bolt actions are prob the most accurate. Wether it’s the custom xp100 or the nosler.

The W bolt guns had mixed reviews.

If your idea of long range is about 400 and under for big game the contender will get it done.

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The lack of support is a good point. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but not optimal.

I'm not looking to shoot an elk at 800 yards, but I'd like to not feel like I'm giving anything up to carrying a rifle.

I shoot my 14 inch Bullberry 7-30 at 250-300 yards pretty regularly, but I'm still working to convince myself it's a reasonable deer cartridge out to 300+ yards. Most people would say that's not the case, but I think y'all know better. I shot a deer at 225 yards with this rig a few weeks ago. It's one thing to make a hit, another to make a clean kill.

Posts: 91 | Location: TX | Registered: September 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I killed my 171” gross mule deer at 325 yards with a 7-30. And an elk at 150.

The wife killed her lope at 400 with a 6 creedmoor xp100. Mine was about 50 yards further with the same gun.

And I killed lopes to 150 with a 44 mag wheelgun...

Doesn’t take a cannon.

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I don't think you can beat the contender, for light weight, compactness, and power in a handgun. Not to mention accuracy.

Carrying an xp100 or an encore around all day can get old. Unless you are hunting from a stand.

If you are hunting deer or be ar get a .309 jdj. Elk, .358 or .375 JDJ. Plus additional barrels are reasonably priced.

HHI #1173

Posts: 37 | Location: Ny | Registered: September 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you are just looking to "stretch my range and get more power", a 15" Encore in something like 7-08 or 308 would be simple and not too costly.

If I were buying one I would be tempted to pay a little extra and get the barrel from MGM.

Sticking with an Encore as compared to some of your other choices would allow a little more for a good scope.

Paul Flados

Posts: 46 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: December 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of indianamoon
posted Hide Post
MOA lead. I have a couple that I would consider selling if you have an interest. E-mail me, indianamoon@sbcglobal.net

Pat

Posts: 909 | Location: Indianer | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My XP-100 in 284win weighs in at 5# 6oz with bipod. How many contender weigh less? Sure they may be a bit shorter OAL. But they will never be consistently as accurate as a bolt rig.

MOA's are short like a contender. But the extraction sucks. Carry a rod to push out cases, cuz sooner or later you'll need it.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
12” 3030ai plus brake, Harris, leupold 1-5 vx5, leupold back country rings.

Just weighed at 4 lbs 15 ounces.

Picture of Sawcarver
posted Hide Post
I would not get an MOA. Ive seen too many problems with them. If you do get one, carry a ram rod to get your case out after the shot. Also guys who shoot MOAs say they are harder to get consistancy at long range, way more grip sensitive than an XP.

I would go with an XP if an 800 yard elk is your goal. Chambered in a big 7mm, like 280AI, 7 Dakota, 7-300 win mag, 284 something along those lines and practice a lot

Posts: 961 | Location: Howell MI | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of blades
posted Hide Post
With practice the rear grip units can be as accurate as the center grips but I have small hands so find the the center grip bolt guns more to my liking hunting wise. that said for stalking purposes its hard to beat a 10" , or maybe 12" contender in a caliber suitable for the game you are pursuing.
I have contenders, xp100s, Savages at my disposal in multiple calibers. My first pistol deer was with a Contender 14" in 35 Remington. Now days I tend to take the Savage in 308 most of the time. It has the break up front so it is tamer than my xp's.

Posts: 529 | Location: WI | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I’ve been hunting deer with MOAs since ‘96. Killed over 60 using them. Never had any problems. The only time I take a ramrod is when I have the 50 cal. Muzzle loader barrel screwed in.

“Why are you axin’ me?”
-Lizzie Borden’s mother

Posts: 67 | Location: Western NY | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I appreciate the input. Looking around these and other forums it's a toss of the coin people warning against or extolling the MOA.

The XP is universally praised for accuracy, I know TC stuff can be made pretty nice, but I've got a Kimber 7-08 that's right at 5 lbs scoped, sub MOA, with a great trigger that's a repeater. I'll feel a little foolish carrying a single shot pistol heavier than a capable rifle and nearly as long. The short action of the MOA and relatively light weight still carries appeal just because I don't know where an Encore or XP would fit in the lineup.

If I end up not loving the MOA, it'll easy to pick up an XP or put together an Encore rig.

posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are having a little separation anxiety. If you really want to be a handgun hunter, you have to leave the rifle home!

You will have to give up some shots at game, that you wouldn't carrying your rifle, But that's what makes a handgun hunter.

It will also make you a better hunter!

HHI #1173

Posts: 37 | Location: Ny | Registered: September 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nah, no separation anxiety. I've made plenty of pistol kills with a rifle sitting in the corner of the blind and just as many without a rifle in sight. I don't get to hunt as much as I'd like, and rifle optics are better at last light. True, I can get more done with a rifle at the moment, but that's why I'm here- asking about a pistol in a rifle caliber to be used with a rifle scope. It's also why I've accumulated lightweight Contender carbines with good rifle optics (Bullberry 357 Max/Zeiss, Bullberry 7-30/Leupold, MGM 44 mag/Zeiss fixed 6x) as well as that Kimber or a couple of Browning Low Walls in 260 and 338 Fed. I'm not up for a 9lb rifle plus a pistol!

I almost never carry one gun anyway. I've got a FA 97 in 44 special on my hip when I carry a Contender in case anything comes within 125 yards while there's light out.

posted Hide Post
If you really want an MOA. I have an unfired 15” barreled 6.5x47 Lapua purchased from Rich. Intended as hunting pistol but life got in the way. Also have iron sights and benchrest forend to go along as a package. Message me if interested.

Posts: 6 | Location: honolulu | Registered: May 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Blake, I'm considering an offer by Indianamoon but I'd be interested to hear about your offer as well. It appears I don't have messaging privileges on this site, so please email me at potato_judge@hotmail.com

Thanks!