Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.250 Ackley Login/Join 

posted
I haven't been on here in a while due to commitments that kept me from shooting for a while . Having more time now I purchased a xp this weekend . Pretty nice custom built by a very reputable Smith here in North Georgia back in the 90's . 22br in a center grip McMillan , great trigger and a very good shooter . Along with it was an extra barrel chambered in .250 Ackley from when the gunwas built , but never had a round fired thru it . I know nothing about this caliber so I'm asking you . Accuracy ? Range ? Hunting or Target ? Any input will be greatly appreciated .
Thanks Chris

Posts: 113 | Location: Ellijay GA | Registered: June 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
And I forgot to mention recoil . It is a 15inch barrel with no brake . Manageable ?

Posts: 113 | Location: Ellijay GA | Registered: June 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
250 savage AI?

Posts: 4009 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
If it’s 250 savage ai it will be pretty mild recoil. But you more than likely won’t be able to use a rifle scope. Add a brake and you should be able to.

Posts: 4009 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CChastain:
I haven't been on here in a while due to commitments that kept me from shooting for a while . Having more time now I purchased a xp this weekend . Pretty nice custom built by a very reputable Smith here in North Georgia back in the 90's . 22br in a center grip McMillan , great trigger and a very good shooter . Along with it was an extra barrel chambered in .250 Ackley from when the gunwas built , but never had a round fired thru it . I know nothing about this caliber so I'm asking you . Accuracy ? Range ? Hunting or Target ? Any input will be greatly appreciated .
Thanks Chris

Chris would that gunsmiths initials happen to be K.P.?
Seeing where you are from that would be my guess anyway.

Bruce

Posts: 1092 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hoggin , it is only stamped .250 Ackley . I'm only a target shooter so my question would be , is it possible accuracy would be good enough to spend the money on a brake ?

Bruce , yes it is KP .

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hoggin , it is only stamped .250 Ackley . I'm only a target shooter so my question would be , is it possible accuracy would be good enough to spend the money on a brake ?

Bruce , yes it is KP .

No telling what accuracy will be until
You shoot it

posted Hide Post
Very true . Since I don't have dies , brass and it doesn't seem like there is a great selection of 25 Cal match bullets it will probably remain a conversation piece .

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I've had a .250 Sav. AI XP for almost 20 years. Mine's a SSK masterpiece. Recoil is mild with full power loads (nonported). Accuracy continues to be awesome.
It's my #1 varmint gun, having taken a few groundhogs short of 1000 with 85 gr. BTs. I've also taken around 20 deer with 100 gr. BT, NPT, TSX, and Sierra Game Kings.
With a 3-12X Burris BPlex sighted dead on at 250 the top of the bottom crosshair is on at 500. I used this hold to take a 503 yd. groundhog.
It's a great caliber in a great gun. Consider yourself lucky having one.

Posts: 1856 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Wow ! That's what I wanted to hear . As I said I know nothing about this caliber and can't find much info .

posted Hide Post
quote:

Bruce , yes it is KP .

Great guy and a great gunsmith. I've known him for around 25 years and use to visit his shop quite a bit. I have shot some of his rifles and seen groups from one of his xp's. He built some very accurate guns and my bet is it will shoot just fine. I saw him back before Christmas and he is still getting around good, just a little slower than before.

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BruceP,

Posts: 1092 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would think a chamber cast would be a worthwile expense as well.

Posts: 629 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cba257:
I would think a chamber cast would be a worthwile expense as well.

I would agree. I know that he did chamber several barrels in 250 Savage AI and I am betting that is it but I can't say for sure that I remember how he marked the barrels.

Bruce

posted Hide Post
The Sierra manual has data for the 250 AI and they state that it is the cartridge they use for accuracy testing in 25 cal., so must be some good inherent qualities. You’ll like it.

Posts: 1284 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: June 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Not that it's set in stone and a chamber cast is the only sure method of knowing but in general the 250 A/I is a 250 Savage and the 257 A/I is a 257 Roberts. The 250 A/I is a great little round like doc stated. I have the standard 250 savage in a XP and love it as well as the A/I version in a (gulp) rifle.

Rick

Posts: 3534 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Another good point....

There are what....three different shoulder angles for 250 savage AI

Defiantly cast the chamber

posted Hide Post
Got more info on this last night , it's definitely a 250 Savage AI . Now to find dies and brass .

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
Like Hoggin mentioned, you'll want to know the shoulder angle, before selecting dies.

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1837 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It's 40° shoulder .

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Good news is that the 40 degree shoulder is the most popular and dies are readily available.

Bad news they will cost a little more than standard dies and brass can be difficult to find. Not sure if Hornady made a run or not as they have been making brass for hard to get calibers lately.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hornady does make brass for 250 savage Brownells and Midway carry it.

Posts: 59 | Location: central ks | Registered: February 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bad news they will cost a little more than standard dies and brass can be difficult to find. Not sure if Hornady made a run or not as they have been making brass for hard to get calibers lately.

I would be willing to bet that you could trim and neck down 6.5 Creedmoor brass, load and fire form the brass to the new shoulder angle.

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
Some have used 22-250 brass. I have not.

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1837 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Found a man close by that has one built by the same Smith that's gonna give me some brass and loan me his dies . Hopefully get to shoot it this weekend .

posted Hide Post
Changed out the barrels on the xp . Shot 20 rds of factory 87 gr WW 250 Savage ammo to fire form brass for Ackley loads . Looking thru a Leupold 36x rifle scope and noticed the scope was getting very close . Loaded 38 grains of Varget behind 100 gr Sierra's and had way too much recoil for a rifle scope . Was able to shoot some sub- half inch groups at 100yds , so gonna have a muzzle brake installed and continue .

posted Hide Post
I bought a bag of Remington 250 Savage at Bruno's a few weeks ago.
I have no guns in the cartridge but I like it and now have brass.

M

Posts: 299 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no guns in the cartridge but I like it and now have brass.

I really like the way you think!! happy

Posts: 778 | Location: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: August 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My SSK .250 AI XP gave stellar performance on my recent rockchuck hunt. Minimal recoil, fantastic accuracy (after 1900 rounds), and a beauty to look at. I used 85 gr. BTs exclusively.
It did so well I'm thinking seriously using it on my next big game hunt.

Posts: 1856 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of moe
posted Hide Post
Show us that SSK 250 A/I

Posts: 1984 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Moe, look at my post on the hunting thread labeled .25 cal. ELD-X. That's it.

Picture of moe
posted Hide Post
Got it!

Posts: 1984 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: December 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post