Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

XP action for a rifle build… Login/Join 

posted
Trying to decide on this. Use an XP action for a rifle build or sell the XP and buy a custom single shot action. I have some extra XR-100 stocks and want to start off with a heavy barrel 221 Fireball.

I think the value of an XP would be close enough to something like a Borden action that you could call it a wash. Plus another XP wouldn’t be tore apart for a project.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome as is your experience doing something like this yourself. Anything you’d want to do differently if you could do it over? Any special requirements needed to make an XP action work in a rifle stock? Id think machining would be necessary for a rear action screw??

Posts: 114 | Location: Ks | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
WHY??
Do not use an XP for a rifle build
You can easly buy a Remington Rifle action , If you want a custom action then buy one. XP actions are scare and not ever to come back, keep the pistol as is and build what you want

DAN

Posts: 740 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Lots of XPs built into rifles already. Might try to pick one of those up and be ahead of the game since most will have a trued action, nice trigger, etc.

Otherwise, there's usually not a lot of economy in starting with a Remington.

Posts: 90 | Location: TX | Registered: September 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Don’t know what caliber you want but keep an eye on accurate shooter classifieds. I see XP rifles occasionally.

https://forum.accurateshooter....s-stocks-barrels.10/

https://forum.accurateshooter....p-100-6-ppc.4053733/

https://forum.accurateshooter....fle-6-5-284.4052751/

https://forum.accurateshooter....e-22-250-ai.4052728/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jay HHI6818,

Posts: 2060 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Do as you wish. I built a rifle out of a spare XP action a while back. It’s not like it can’t be swapped back by someone else or yourself.
Rifle stocks for the XP action don’t seem near as plentiful as in years past. I actually bought my stock, trigger guard and trigger from a gent that bought it as a rifle, and was putting it back to pistol mode.
If you think your saving anything you need to sharpen your pencil, been there done that so to speak.

If you have no interest in the XP, put it on an auction board or name a price and sell it. Take those funds and go towards your build.
Most any of the custom actions will be cheaper in the long run than working over a “donor” action, even the it is still just an XYZ action.

Even if I was to build a new bolt pistol, I would chase down an undesignated action rather than an XP. Just so much more support for anything with a 700 foot print. I heard but have not seen undesignated Howa Mini’s.

Just my nickels worth.
Jeff

---------------------------------
G whiz, it's a Contender or a G2, never was a G One!

Posts: 3020 | Location: Kansas U.S of A | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Gator T/C
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have some xR stocks you are trying to build off of. Just buy a Remington model 7 action. I just bought two stainless seven actions for pistols (center grip). Spare parts are the initiative for many a “project”!

Brad

------------------------------
Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 7x47(SSK),308 Bellm, .338 SSK Woodswalker (2),358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.243,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA .22LR, .243
XP-700LA .25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper

Posts: 1242 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Had shoulder issues with my XP. The "reach" to get a scope view was killing me. Finally converted the XP pistol into a rifle. LOVE IT!!
Shoulder issues went away so the next step is build another XP action into a rifle chambered in my "20 TCM" Wildcat. Feeds like a dream.
Did a Savage Model 12 lefty repeater action into a SP but the XP is sooo much smoother. Cool

Posts: 383 | Location: Northern California | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Brad ,
Wouldn’t a model 7 action have the floor cut out for a magazine box? I’d lose the solid bottom of a single shot action right?

And yes , I have extra XR-100 stocks to build off of. I have several of the factory XR-100 rifles and they are awesome! And that is why I’m wanting to build more.

Posts: 114 | Location: Ks | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I bought a few single shot model 700 short actions in s/s from Brownells a little bit ago for some Specialty pistol projects but they would make an awful nice rifle too.
I didn’t even know Remington offered these till awhile ago.I always wished that they would have offered a 6BR in a single shot model 700 rifle back in the day,kind of a poor mans 40-x.I remember Bob Milek.talking about them and started to think it would be a good idea.I built a XP rifle and it shot very well,I have since put it back to a pistol.I guess depending on funds I would buy a BAT action and never look back,but if I was trying to be cost effective those solid bottom 700 actions were only around $300-
Matt

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
VHA LIFE MEMBER
IBS MEMBER

Posts: 629 | Location: Upstate South Carolina  | Registered: March 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Gator T/C
posted Hide Post
Pacific Tool and Gauge make aa aluminum piece that fills the magazine cutout and matched the profile of the bottom of the action perfectly.

Brad

Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 7x47(SSK),308 Bellm, .338 SSK Woodswalker (2),358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.243,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA .22LR, .243
XP-700LA .25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper

Posts: 1242 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I don’t think I want an action where an insert is needed to fill in the cutout. And thanks for the info so far to everyone else but 700 actions or clones will not work in an XR-100 inlet.

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
I picked this one with the intent to cut and recrown the barrel at 15" and drop in an extra HS stock I had. It came in a bullpup stock so the centergrip linkage was all still intact, just needed shortened and I would have another XP pistol. After it arrived I really liked the way it was put together and since I had an extra remington 700 target trigger I reached to a few people to see if anyone had a XP-100 stock for sale. Ernie came through with this one that I believe is an early McMillan. Like others have said do what YOU want. Did your extra XR-100 stocks come off your rifles? If so what did you replace them with as I have 2 I would like a different stock for. Oh, it's 221 Fireball.

Rick

Posts: 3519 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle! So what machining is required to make the XP action fit? I plan on making a few phone calls next week but have to bug the forum til then!

And my extra stocks are just that , extras. I was fortunate to find 3 new factory stocks for next to nothing a few years ago and the intent was always to build on them.

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
The XR-100 action is based on the Model 7 footprint where the XP-100 is based on the model 600/660 which has different action screw hole spacing/placement. My stock was made specifically for the XP-100 action so not sure what's needed. I assume the front action screw hole will need to be relocated. The rear can go up through the front trigger guard hole and tap the rear hole currently in the action. Gater TC has a lot of experience with the Remington actions so maybe he'll chime in. McMillan makes or made stocks for the XP-100 action in rifles. A lot of actions were used to make benchrest rifles.

Rick

Posts: 3519 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle Rick. With the new owner of McMillan its doubtful if some of the XP stuff will ever come out of there again.

Jon

Posts: 1600 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Jon that's probably true. I have 2 XR-100 rifle I would like a different stock for as I don't care for the thumbhole laminate. McMillan will or would before ownership change, make them but the price is keeping me away. H-S Precision use to make a model 7 ADL stock with a varmint barrel contour but no more. They would be drop in fits. They do make a model 7 heavy barrel stock but it has a very short forend and I would need model 7 bottom metal.

Rick

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsh:
Do as you wish. I built a rifle out of a spare XP action a while back. It’s not like it can’t be swapped back by someone else or yourself.

The BATF may disagree. You cannot make a pistol out of a rifle without filing forms and paying the Feds.
You can however make a rifle out of a pistol and not get in trouble. Problem is, your pistol is now a rifle and cannot go back to being a pistol.
I believe the exception is you can cut the action in half (take pictures) and then weld it back together.
I had planned on making my own bolt action pistol. You have to start with a receiver that is brand new and never been a rifle. You cannot just change the barrel and stock of a rifle receiver. Then I found a barely used Stryker for about the same price as a brand new bare action.

I realize the Feds may never know you converted your XP into a rifle, but I wouldn't take the chance.

Posts: 8 | Location: Roswell | Registered: June 07, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chilehead:
quote:
Originally posted by jsh:

The BATF may disagree. You cannot make a pistol out of a rifle without filing forms and paying the Feds.
You can however make a rifle out of a pistol and not get in trouble. Problem is, your pistol is now a rifle and cannot go back to being a pistol.
I believe the exception is you can cut the action in half (take pictures) and then weld it back together.
I had planned on making my own bolt action pistol. You have to start with a receiver that is brand new and never been a rifle. You cannot just change the barrel and stock of a rifle receiver. Then I found a barely used Stryker for about the same price as a brand new bare action.

I realize the Feds may never know you converted your XP into a rifle, but I wouldn't take the chance.

Nope that’s not exactly right. If it was built as a rifle, then it’s a rifle. If it was a pistol, it can become a rifle and go back to a pistol as many times as it wants to…

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...-registering-firearm

FROM THE ABOVE LINK:

Can I lawfully make a pistol into a rifle without registering that firearm?

Assuming that the firearm was originally a pistol, the resulting firearm, with an attached shoulder stock, is not an NFA firearm if it has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length.

Pursuant to ATF Ruling 2011-4, such rifle may later be unassembled and again configured as a pistol. Such configuration would not be considered a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(4).

Chris

Posts: 683 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sorry accidentally double tap

Chris

Posts: 683 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Nope that’s not exactly right. If it was built as a rifle, then it’s a rifle. If it was a pistol, it can become a rifle and go back to a pistol as many times as it wants to…

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...-registering-firearm

FROM THE ABOVE LINK:

Can I lawfully make a pistol into a rifle without registering that firearm?

Assuming that the firearm was originally a pistol, the resulting firearm, with an attached shoulder stock, is not an NFA firearm if it has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length.

Pursuant to ATF Ruling 2011-4, such rifle may later be unassembled and again configured as a pistol. Such configuration would not be considered a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(4).[/QUOTE]

Learned something today. Thank you. So any time you build an AR, make it a pistol first, even if you have to borrow an upper. Take a picture. Now you can shoot it as pistol or rifle. Just don't put the rifle upper on first :-)
Getting ready for a new build.

Posts: 8 | Location: Roswell | Registered: June 07, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
I heard but have not seen undesignated Howa Mini’s.

The Howa Mini-Action is available as an undesignated action but comes w/ a 20" barrel in 223 Remington and is available only at Brownell's. I used one last year w/ a 16" McGowen barrel and JTAC Industries Elf Owl chassis to build a 20 VarTarg handgun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gary T,

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chilehead:

Learned something today. Thank you. So any time you build an AR, make it a pistol first, even if you have to borrow an upper. Take a picture. Now you can shoot it as pistol or rifle. Just don't put the rifle upper on first :-)
Getting ready for a new build.

As far as AR pistols go, there is no max barrel length and no restrictions on the type of buffer tube you use. So technically a 16” barreled upper on a lower with no buttstock on it is a “pistol”.

quote:
Originally posted by Gary T:
quote:
I heard but have not seen undesignated Howa Mini’s.

The Howa Mini-Action is available as an undesignated action but comes w/ a 20" barrel in 223 Remington and is available only at Brownell's. I used one last year w/ a 16" McGowen barrel and JTAC Industries Elf Owl chassis to build a 20 VarTarg handgun.

Gary, she’s a beauty!

Chris

posted Hide Post
Doing my homework and it seems like the extra stocks I have will remain as extras for the time being. I always figured the actions between an XP and the XR were “close enough” but I was very wrong on that. I haven’t had any luck locating any custom single shot actions either. For now I may switch to a 700 footprint custom single shot. Thanks to all who replied.

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. Gary, you have some very neat guns. Might have to drop gy Springhill next time I am in LA.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3508 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sawfish:
Very interesting. Gary, you have some very neat guns. Might have to drop by Springhill next time I am in LA.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3508 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post