Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

XP bolt Login/Join 

posted
I'm going to rebarrel my XP to 221 FB. The bolt I have is for 7 BR, so I suspect that will go to ****. (the 7 BR barrel is not in good shape and I don't want to get another set of reloading dies etc--I have the 221 FB set already)

Anyway, I'm looking at getting a bolt from Pacific Tool & Gauge. I want to make sure I get the right one. From their website, it looks like I’d want has these dimensions:

Firing Pin Tip Diameter = Standard Diameter (0.075”)
Bolt Face .223 (0.380”)
Remington Extractor Cut (there are other options)

I’d be grateful if someone could please confirm that this is what I want, and if there are other options, especially better ones, I’d like to hear about them.

Thanks!

Posts: 6 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: August 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Correct,

Need the .223 bolt, standard firing pin and standard bolt diameter

Extractor, go with a Sako style (just my opinion)

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
You current bolt can also have a bushing made and installled

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
I prefer the m16 style extractor. Just my preference, and another option. I would also bush the bolt face as Chris suggested.

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 805 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Why not trade your bolt for the correct one? If your ordering a bolt get the small firing pin hole. You'll need the small firing pin but you'll get better ignition. I prefer rem extractors for 223 size cases.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Left Hand Dave
posted Hide Post
I think I might know someone that has two or three XP Bolts with .223 bolt faces. I think they would be willing to trade one if your bolt is in good shap

Posts: 451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The bolt from PTG will need to be fit by a smith. I bought one myself and it is not a drop in exchange fit. I dont know if they make a bolt from a sample ( like the one you already have. They also would not take the bolt back for refund. You should be aware and call them about your idea of exchanging bolts. I eventually sold my bolt at a big loss. Bruce

Posts: 717 | Location: Pa | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
LH Dave: Excellent! I'd be happy to trade--please let me know.

Rich

Posts: 6 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: August 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Left Hand Dave
posted Hide Post
Rich,

My email is dpchrisman@windstream.net I only have access to a computer about every other day So it may take me a few days to respond to your emails. If you could send me a pic of your bolt and I will send pics of the bolts I have. If you want to you could include your phone number in the email and I could call.

Dave

Posts: 451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have several bolts with the .223 face sitting on my bench. If you want to trade let me know. normp@frontier.net

Posts: 17 | Location: Montrose, Colorado | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Looks as though I'll be able to swap bolts. Thanks, everyone!

Rich

posted Hide Post
With the help of a kind lister (who swapped bolts) and my gunsmith, the 221 franken pistol is now together. It has a barrel, stock, receiver, and bolt from different guns, and shoots well.

posted Hide Post
If you do get a bolt from PTG you can specify the bolt diameter which will allow you to get a better fit in the rear and prevent the bolt from rocking which is a feature on custom bolts. You will have to measure your current bolt diameter and see how much it moves in the receiver and add to the diameter when you order.

Posts: 51 | Location: South West Idaho | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post