Specialty Pistols
XP bolt

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/4780059486

November 07, 2016, 10:30 PM
Rich181
XP bolt
I'm going to rebarrel my XP to 221 FB. The bolt I have is for 7 BR, so I suspect that will go to ****. (the 7 BR barrel is not in good shape and I don't want to get another set of reloading dies etc--I have the 221 FB set already)

Anyway, I'm looking at getting a bolt from Pacific Tool & Gauge. I want to make sure I get the right one. From their website, it looks like I’d want has these dimensions:

Firing Pin Tip Diameter = Standard Diameter (0.075”)
Bolt Face .223 (0.380”)
Remington Extractor Cut (there are other options)

I’d be grateful if someone could please confirm that this is what I want, and if there are other options, especially better ones, I’d like to hear about them.

Thanks!
November 07, 2016, 11:12 PM
Da-Law-Dawg
Correct,

Need the .223 bolt, standard firing pin and standard bolt diameter

Extractor, go with a Sako style (just my opinion)
November 08, 2016, 07:05 AM
Hoggin
You current bolt can also have a bushing made and installled
November 08, 2016, 08:42 AM
semperfi
I prefer the m16 style extractor. Just my preference, and another option. I would also bush the bolt face as Chris suggested.

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member
November 08, 2016, 08:59 AM
rickiesrevenge
Why not trade your bolt for the correct one? If your ordering a bolt get the small firing pin hole. You'll need the small firing pin but you'll get better ignition. I prefer rem extractors for 223 size cases.

Aaron
November 08, 2016, 12:58 PM
Left Hand Dave
I think I might know someone that has two or three XP Bolts with .223 bolt faces. I think they would be willing to trade one if your bolt is in good shap
November 08, 2016, 06:32 PM
cletus
The bolt from PTG will need to be fit by a smith. I bought one myself and it is not a drop in exchange fit. I dont know if they make a bolt from a sample ( like the one you already have. They also would not take the bolt back for refund. You should be aware and call them about your idea of exchanging bolts. I eventually sold my bolt at a big loss. Bruce
November 08, 2016, 07:06 PM
Rich181
LH Dave: Excellent! I'd be happy to trade--please let me know.

Rich
November 09, 2016, 09:14 AM
Left Hand Dave
Rich,

My email is dpchrisman@windstream.net I only have access to a computer about every other day So it may take me a few days to respond to your emails. If you could send me a pic of your bolt and I will send pics of the bolts I have. If you want to you could include your phone number in the email and I could call.

Dave
November 09, 2016, 05:31 PM
Lorinorm53
I have several bolts with the .223 face sitting on my bench. If you want to trade let me know. normp@frontier.net
November 10, 2016, 06:54 PM
Rich181
Looks as though I'll be able to swap bolts. Thanks, everyone!

Rich
December 14, 2016, 11:04 AM
Rich181
With the help of a kind lister (who swapped bolts) and my gunsmith, the 221 franken pistol is now together. It has a barrel, stock, receiver, and bolt from different guns, and shoots well.
March 22, 2018, 10:06 PM
Nosh
If you do get a bolt from PTG you can specify the bolt diameter which will allow you to get a better fit in the rear and prevent the bolt from rocking which is a feature on custom bolts. You will have to measure your current bolt diameter and see how much it moves in the receiver and add to the diameter when you order.