Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 br build questions Login/Join 

posted
To all of those with a 20 br. I'm looking at options for a lighter weight predator calling xp build. I have either an older brown or hs stock that takes the adl trigger gaurd (not real sure which) and it looks like it can take somewhere around a #6 mcgowen maybe. Questions is will it be heavy enough to spot your own shots without a break? It will have a rifle scope on it.
Thanks guys this stuff is addictive. paperbag

Posts: 126 | Location: missouri | Registered: June 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
At distance? Maybe, but don't count on it. If it was a 20 pound rig, it would be close. It's a BR round and they're pretty hot. I shoot a 6.8, 6 and 22 BR and they're all too hot to be able to see my hits and that's with a rifle. 20 BR would probably be just about the same.
The SP rig MAY settle down enough to see your hits (thru the scope) out past maybe 200 yards but slim chance. Depends a lot on the weight.

I'am working on a rig that will allow me to see my hits thru the scope. 20 VT is close, 20 VT "short" is even closer and the next step is a 20 TCM. I don't want to "think" I saw the hit, I want to KNOW and see the holes forming. And that is with a 16 pound rifle. Tried it with an SP and got close but no cigar. Roll Eyes

Posts: 384 | Location: Northern California | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
daricd,
As Nor Cal Mikie stated, I don't think you will be able to spot your shots with the 20 BR in a lighter build, especially without a brake.
My 20 BR wears a #7 taper McGowan and a Ross brake.
Shooting the 55 grain Berger's, I can see my hits through the scope. I would guess with the lighter bullets, recoil would even be less.

-Mike

Posts: 2291 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Maybe if you shot light bullets. I wouldn't hold my breath though. I think what makes the 20BR awesome is the 55gr berger. I can't see hits with my 20BR and 55's with one of Mikes brakes. I've been meaning to switch to a side discharge for a while because of it.

The 20BR and 55's is a LAZER.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That was kinda the way I was leaning. I wasnt sure it was possible but I have zero experience with anything on the br case othere than the 7mm br.
I'm building it to hopefully shoot the 55s. That's what has turned me onto this build. I was on the fence for a long time back and forth between the 20 br and a hot, fast twist 22 cal.

Posts: 126 | Location: missouri | Registered: June 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thats kinda funny. I've been thinking about a fast twist .22 to sling 80s as fast as possible. BUT I don't ever want to be without a 20BR.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've been wanting a fast 22 to sling the heavies , but after seeing what some of you are doing with that 55 gr berger and the 20 br, I had to have one. Lol. But might do a fast 22 in a rifle later.