Specialty Pistols
Optics for a .223 XP100

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/4690071007

April 20, 2021, 10:13 AM
DocIndy
Optics for a .223 XP100
I had a very used and abused XP100 in 221 Fireball that was overdue for a trip to the Gunsmith. I sent it to a local rifle builder to break it apart and rebarrel it with a Lilja 1:12 in SS and chamber it in .223. It was then Cerakoted in Sniper Gray and put in a Fajen centergrip stock. Now it needs glass. I plan on using it for a varmint rig so I'd like something with more magnification than a 3-12x Burris pistol scope. Recommendations? I already have some money invested, so I don't plan on going the cheap route on glass.

Thanks.
April 20, 2021, 12:35 PM
ole95
As far as Pistol scope you at about the top of the line most including me have move on to Rifle scopes as far as which one Ford or Chevy personal option I think Sightron is the best bang for you buck I have 3 two of which are 8x32 and I use them out to 1k. There again this is just my opinion is is just that an opinion
Jrs

Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
------------------------------
shoot like your life depends on it
April 20, 2021, 02:42 PM
braud357
Without knowing how heavy your barrel is - it depends ! My experience is with a factory XP 223, and if using a rifle with full power loads you had better learn to back off and narrow your field of view. First time I shot mine off of bags with factory 55 grain ammo using a 4 - 14X Leopold left me with "scope eyebrow" on the 2nd shot ! It is not good to bleed at the shooting range ! Be careful !
April 20, 2021, 02:48 PM
DocIndy
My XP has a 15" barrel. I think I went with a factory varmint taper and had my smith add some flutes for fun. It has some weight compares to the bone stock 221 Fireball XP I have.

I will also look at the Sightron scopes. I haven't actually put hands on one, but have ran across them online. I'm kind of a Vortex guy at this point, but don't want a scope as long as the barrel.
April 20, 2021, 02:51 PM
Nitemann
You didn't state what varmints you would be hunting but that 3x12 Burris should work quite well for most critters out to 300-350yds which is pushing the 223 to about it's limits IMO. I'm not a rifle scope on handguns guy so most here will disagree with me.

Rick
April 20, 2021, 04:45 PM
DocIndy
My critters will be groundhogs, crows, coyotes and paper targets of course. I went with a 1:12 since I have tons of lighter weight bullets and ammo in those weights.
April 20, 2021, 07:44 PM
skydivinghunter
Usually, people that use rifle scopes on any pistols, have a good muzzle brake, otherwise having a short eye relief scope is a bad idea. I hope that you got a brake on the new barrel.
April 21, 2021, 03:34 PM
WV Hitman
I'm with niteman on the 3-12 Burris BPLex. I have them on all my XP-100s & Encores, plus one on my .223 Contender. I've taken 2 groundhogs this year at 320 & 340 with it, and right at 400 in the past.
This combo has taken 1222 groundhogs as of today in my "career". I think that speaks for its ability to get the job done.
April 23, 2021, 10:04 AM
Ernie
quote:
Originally posted by DocIndy:
I had a very used and abused XP100 in 221 Fireball that was overdue for a trip to the Gunsmith. I sent it to a local rifle builder to break it apart and rebarrel it with a Lilja 1:12 in SS and chamber it in .223. It was then Cerakoted in Sniper Gray and put in a Fajen centergrip stock. Now it needs glass. I plan on using it for a varmint rig so I'd like something with more magnification than a 3-12x Burris pistol scope. Recommendations? I already have some money invested, so I don't plan on going the cheap route on glass.

Thanks.

Sounds like a nice XP!
With the extra weight of the barrel and your aftermarket stock I don't see a problem using a rifle scope safely.
Yes, you may need to slightly back away from your ocular until you are sure a full field of view is safe.
But even at that you are going to have a far greater field of view than you will with a Full Field Of View with a Burris 3-12 on 12x.
You will get far better glass, reticles, turrets, and higher magnification with a rifle scope.
Can it be done with a pistol scope? For sure!
Been there and done that past a grand, but it is so much easier/better with a rifle scope.
The Sightron S-3 6-24 is a great scope for the money
Leupold VX-5 is another one.
I typically use muzzle brakes with rifle scopes, but sometimes I don't. The largest cartridge I have consistently shot without a brake is a center-grip XP in 6mm-284 shooting 115 DTAC's.
I still use pistol scopes mainly on revolvers.
If I am shooting a single-shot specialty pistol, the majority of the time it will have a rifle scope on it.
Burris XTR-III is a solid as well.
These both have brakes, but I have two of the three scopes I mentioned in this article.
We have taken the 15" 223 HSP out to 1300 yards on steel FWIW.
http://bulletin.accurateshoote...n-specialty-pistols/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ernie,

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22