Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smokeless ML XP-100 Login/Join 

posted
http://www.arrowheadsporting.com/

Can anyone give me any reason not to build a smokeless muzzle loader handgun on the XP-100?

Sure is tempting...

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
its been done...i think there is a thread here on it somewhere

Posts: 4010 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
But its so tempting to make a Savage 10ML into a Striker. I have so thought about it, but the initial $1100 is not tempting.

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Or you could have a smokeless barrel made for an MOA

“Why are you axin’ me?”
-Lizzie Borden’s mother

Posts: 67 | Location: Western NY | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I don't own an MOA, so that one is out.

I recall a thread or two on XP-100 ML's but the threads didn't turn up in my brief search.

I do have an Encore and that's an option.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Huli and TGP both have/had one. Both were built on Rem 700 muzzle loaders with the barrels shortened and installed in XP-100 rear grip stocks that had been modified. The threads if still there will be a long way back.

Rick

Posts: 3536 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Roger what kind of velocity are you thinking . I shoot smokeless rifle 270 gr Parker bullet at 2965 fps but that's a 28'' tube .

Posts: 107 | Location: Western Il | Registered: June 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280 AI:
Roger what kind of velocity are you thinking . I shoot smokeless rifle 270 gr Parker bullet at 2965 fps but that's a 28'' tube .

I really don't know, since I don't have any idea of the velocity loss with ML's compared to center fire counter parts.

The only basis for my guess would be when I used to own a 15" ML T/C 209x50 custom shop barrel, using T7 and Pyrodex.

That one would push a 250 gr bullet solidly into 454 Casull territory with my loads clocking 1650 FPS.

I would hazard a guess that something close to 1900-2000 FPS would be doable with a 17-18" bbl. Maybe a bit more, but that might be pushing it. I would be thrilled to get 2200 fps with a 250 grain slug from a smokeless ML handgun, but probably not likely.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

posted Hide Post
I would look at a Parker bullet they have pretty thin jackets, I size mine so they go down the barrel with minimal loading pressure and I don't use wad or sabot . Look at dougs message board for tips. I just got 6 brx reamer may try one next year !

Posts: 107 | Location: Western Il | Registered: June 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks 280AI.

I'm in no hurry to do this... In fact, it'll be targeted for completion next year about this time if it does indeed happen at all.

I've looked those Parker bullets over.

I need to get some of the questions I have answered before I do embark on a smokeless XP-100 ML handgun.

That'll need a phone call or two for those answers I'm sure.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

posted Hide Post
After looking online at what the smokeless ML rifles are getting for velocity, it appears that it's possible to get more than my initial guess on velocity with a shorter 17"18" bbl.

Time more research.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

posted Hide Post
After looking at the schematics for the savage 10'll, it would be very easy to replace the barrel on a Striker with a 10ml barrel and insert the breech assembly . but I have not seen any 10'll barrels available to start with.

I know you're looking at XP's but it sure looks easy for the Striker.

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
Here is my 700ML I built years ago, it's not smokeless though. I drilled and tapped the action for the front screw hole that was already drilled in the XPr stock then bedded the barrel action. shoots pretty good and is fun to shoot. Big Grin

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice TGP.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

posted Hide Post
yes you can make a smokeless muzzleloader on a xp100 action. I have one and have never got around to making it go boom (lost some of the parts in a flood) I HAVE A .45 BUT IF i HAD IT TO GO OVER WOULD MAKE IT A .40 SO i COULD SHOOT ,358 BULLETS I got the barrel from McGowen with a barrel nut. Had a guy make my nipple. My biggest complaint is making the brass to hold the primer. Still gonna get around to it because it shoot make an awesome deer round. BE CAREFUL and good luck

Posts: 237 | Location: Nashville,TN. USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post