Specialty Pistols
Questions on my first XP-100 build

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/4500002986

December 04, 2017, 12:34 AM
oregon45
Questions on my first XP-100 build
I recently acquired this Remington XP-100 in 7mm Benchrest as a base-gun for a semi-custom build I am going to put together next year.

I plan on keeping the factory barrel, as it has proven quite accurate with my standard silhouette load of 24gr of H322 under a 139gr Hornady BTSP in necked-up Lapua brass.

I am going to replace the stock with a McMillan from the group-buy that Ernie put together.

My questions are:

1. Is the EGW rail for the XP-100 a standard picatinny rail? I have read conflicting reviews online about ring compatibility but they were from several years ago.

2. What is the most practical external bolt stop on the market? This gun will be used primarily for IHMSA competition so I don't need the sleekest design. Is the Sinclair bolt stop a good choice?

3. Will bolt handles for the Remington 700 work on this action? Specifically, the bolt handles made by PT&G and Holland's?

4. When tuning the factory trigger, is it possible to remove the trigger balance while also keeping the safety? Although I intend to mostly shoot silhouettes, I would like the option of hunting with this gun so I want to keep the safety intact and get the trigger to around 1-1.5lbs.

Updated picture in response to some of the feedback on this thread:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: oregon45,
December 04, 2017, 07:07 AM
McClura
I can answer most of your questions
1- All of my XP's have the EGW scope bases on them plus a few of my Encores and Contenders. They all have served me well and I have had no problems with rings but I only use Burris Signature Zee rings or the Rings from SSK.

2-My Apache Machines XP's have Steve's bolt stop he makes that lets the bolt come back an extra 1/8" or so so I can remove loaded round if not fired due to long OAL. The Sinclair stop seems to be on most of the XP's I see.

3- I only have one with a PTG bolt that was put in when it was being customized.
Not sure about others.

4-Three of my XP's have HS Precision stocks and one McMillan and none of them have the trigger balance and they all have the factory safety. I don't know what the weight of my trigger pull is on my Apache Machine XP's and the one Remington Custom Shop, but they are nice and crisp and I like them.

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.
December 04, 2017, 09:40 AM
Nitemann
Welcome oregon45, I would have a hard time changing anything on your XP as it is but everybody has different taste and ideas. The Sinclair bolt stop requires drilling and threading on the side of your action. The only complaint I have with it is it's a little too big to my liking. The other stops are milled in and look much nicer and are easier to use, pushing compared to pulling. If you decide to part with the stock currently on your XP I would be very interested in it.

Rick
December 04, 2017, 10:47 AM
oregon45
Thanks Nitemann, I am going to sell the stock after the McMillan arrives and will touch base with you then.
December 04, 2017, 11:18 AM
Smokin7mm
My 2¢
1. No issues with the EGW basea and any rings.

2. On the bolt stop/release 40xmike on this site made up some bolt releases that use the existing stop/release but utilize a push button installed in the stock to actuate it. I have two installed on custom XP's that Mike Built for me. They both sit in McMillan stocks. No machining or modification to the action required.

3. I suppose any bolt handle would work if you are talking removing the existing handle and having a new handle TIG welded on. If you are talking a new bolt from PTG then they make one specifically for the XP-100.

4. You can remove the trigger weight and still use the factory safety.

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director
December 04, 2017, 11:23 AM
Nitemann
quote:
Thanks Nitemann, I am going to sell the stock after the McMillan arrives and will touch base with you then.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you. My email is in my profile.

As far as the counter balance is concerned it can be removed with out affecting anything with the trigger. It was Remington's lawyers idea in case you dropped your XP O and it landed on the muzzle. It was thought that inertia would cause the weight of the trigger linkage to move forward discharging the gun. All the trigger balances have been removed on all my XP's and hopefully i'll never drop one loaded or not as that would probably kill me by itself.
Any Remington 700/7 style bolt handle can be welded to your existing bolt if you wish to change them. Just make sure who ever does the job has the skill to do so as I've seen pretty messed weld jobs on a few bolts.

Rick
December 04, 2017, 02:45 PM
Iowa Fox
oregon, that's a really nice looking xp you picked up. I agree with Rick it would be hard to change anything on that one for using in IHMSA chambered in the 7BR.

I like the EWG bases and they will continue to be my first choice with Burris signature rings. If you use Signature rings you need 4 3/4" ring spacing to have the inserts be accurate to their offset. With the EWG base its easy to get that.

Last January a new member (johnnie) posted a pic of a xp he had just picked up. It had the most unique bolt stop lever I have ever seen. Unfortunately when photobucket went pay for view the pic vanished. Maybe he will see this thread and repost a pic of it or if anyone remembers the pic and knows who made them I'd like to know. I'd like to have one or two of them if I could figure out where they came from. Unfortunately the old IMHSA builders are fewer every day.

Well Ernie put the hurt on the XP pool for building with his stock buy. Its interesting to see what shakes out of the woodwork. Does anybody ever find any rough used hard ones out there for their McMillan group buy stock build. laugh

Jon
December 04, 2017, 02:59 PM
Rog (Buttermilk421)
My factory XP-100 trigger is 24 ounce (1.5 lb) without the factory balance weight and me adjusting the creep out of the trigger. Very crisp, and still has the factory safety.

My external bolt stop was installed by Jon Beanland, and is the only one I have experience with.

I prefer the scope base made by Ken Farrel. It's a bit pricey, but allows the scope to be mounted forward about 2" if using an EER pistol scope, which is advantageous.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

December 04, 2017, 09:27 PM
Leupold Man
Hey looks like your questions are answered just want to say welcome to SP!

Veteran and NRA Life Member
December 04, 2017, 11:06 PM
oregon45
Thanks for all the input guys. I just ordered a Farrell base, I like the added length because they eye relief on my Bushnell scope is pretty long--long enough to make shooting off a bench difficult. Any tips on bedding a McMillan stock or adjusting the stock trigger? I've adjusted Model 700 rifle triggers before but never an XP 100.
December 05, 2017, 01:26 PM
Hoggin
quote:
Originally posted by oregon45:
Thanks for all the input guys. I just ordered a Farrell base, I like the added length because they eye relief on my Bushnell scope is pretty long--long enough to make shooting off a bench difficult. Any tips on bedding a McMillan stock or adjusting the stock trigger? I've adjusted Model 700 rifle triggers before but never an XP 100.

Bedding an xp is not the easiest bedding job.

When you look at the trigger you will only have two screws to work with. Their pretty simple. Pre travel and sear
December 05, 2017, 05:59 PM
oregon45
Thanks Hoggin, I may send the XP to you and have you bed it into the McMillan once the stock arrives. I don't know anyone locally here in Oregon who has any experience working with XP's and if it's a tricky bedding job I'd rather not try it. The last Rem 700 I glass-bedded made me a believer in chassis stocks Big Grin
December 05, 2017, 07:09 PM
Hoggin
I can always pick up the stock from ernie. He’s right down the road
December 05, 2017, 07:12 PM
oregon45
That sounds like a plan. I'll touch base with you once I hear from Ernie that the stock has arrived. Likely some time in February if McMillan is running 6 months out. What is your thought on external bolt stops? Any favorites?
December 05, 2017, 08:29 PM
Hoggin
I personally don’t care for one. I just alter the ejection port for bigger cases
December 05, 2017, 11:13 PM
oregon45
My main reason for wanting one is to be able to remove the bolt for cleaning the barrel, without having to take the action out of the stock. I typically shoot around 170-80 rounds at a silhouette match, including sighting shots, and I'd like to be able to clean every 80 rounds or so.
December 05, 2017, 11:37 PM
Iowa Fox
I have 2- 7 BR's and both will clear & eject loaded 140's. My grandson made me a cut/shaved popsickle stick to take the bolt out when I need to. Works slick.
December 06, 2017, 08:00 AM
Nitemann
You do not have to take the action out of the stock to remove the bolt. Just take a small screwdriver/allan wrench/etc and run it down the left side of the bolt raceway, push down on the bolt stop while pulling the bolt out of the action.

Rick
December 06, 2017, 08:52 AM
Smokin7mm
Oregon45,
Where abouts are you in Oregon?

As stated above a Popsicle stick works perfectly no need to remove the action. The screwdriver works as does an allen wrench or any long thin object you can get along side the bolt to depress the bolt release.

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
December 06, 2017, 10:41 AM
oregon45
I'm in NW Oregon, Portland area. I shoot silhouettes out at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. Second Sunday of the month at 9:00 a.m. BB, SB, FP and 1/2 size. Always looking for new shooters!

On the bolt stop, I've got a modified screw driver I've been using to remove the bolt on my XP's but for a custom build I figured I might find a more elegant solution Wink
December 06, 2017, 01:26 PM
Smokin7mm
quote:
Originally posted by oregon45:
I'm in NW Oregon, Portland area. I shoot silhouettes out at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. Second Sunday of the month at 9:00 a.m. BB, SB, FP and 1/2 size. Always looking for new shooters!

On the bolt stop, I've got a modified screw driver I've been using to remove the bolt on my XP's but for a custom build I figured I might find a more elegant solution Wink

I didn't realize that Douglas Ridge was shooting silhouette again. I have not seen anythihng in the IHMSA news for match schedules?

As I stated above I have a couple of 40xmike's bolt releases that install in the stock that give you a simple push button that protrudes out the bottom of the stock just below the bolt release. Very simple and does not require any machining of the action. Mike lives in Grants pass. If you want me to email you a picture of the bolt release let me know.

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
December 06, 2017, 06:42 PM
rickiesrevenge
I've made some of the releases like Bret is talking about. Super slick way to do it. Enough that I won't be putting in any more side release's on my xp's, UNLESS I need to do another RUM based case.

Aaron
December 06, 2017, 06:53 PM
Roger Davis
Can someone post a pic of the bolt release that ya all are talking about and contact information of the maker. Thanks, Roger.

Navy Chief. Retired.
December 07, 2017, 08:46 AM
Smokin7mm
40xmike on this site made mine. As for a pic. I emailed you one. Photobucket took care of the posting here. furious

Bret

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Smokin7mm,

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
December 07, 2017, 02:18 PM
Iowa Fox
Bret, could I impose for an email pic of that bolt release. Thanks

Jon
December 07, 2017, 04:12 PM
Smokin7mm
Email sent

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
December 07, 2017, 04:22 PM
Ernie
quote:
Originally posted by Smokin7mm:
40xmike on this site made mine. As for a pic. I emailed you one. Photobucket took care of the posting here. furious

Bret

Email me one too please ernieemily@yahoo.com

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
December 07, 2017, 05:22 PM
Iowa Fox
Thanks a million for the pics Bret. That's much nicer than cutting a hole in the receiver.

Jon
December 07, 2017, 06:25 PM
oregon45
I would like to see pictures as well; my email is in my profile. I also can post the pictures here once I have them. Thanks.
December 07, 2017, 06:49 PM
Roger Davis
Bret, thanks for the pics. Nice and clean look. Roger.

Navy Chief. Retired.
December 08, 2017, 01:18 AM
BruceP
I'd like the pic emailed to me too unless someone else who got the email wants to post them.

Bruce
December 08, 2017, 01:07 PM
oregon45
Pictures of the bolt stop, thanks Bret!

December 08, 2017, 01:30 PM
Smokin7mm
Thanks Oregon for posting the pic. It is actually just a bolt release as it utilizes the existing internal bolt stop. For more info etc you might ask 40xmike.

Bret

In addition to the bolt release he installed this is one of the builds he did for me. I posted pics when he did it but they went away with photobucket. A true work of art in my opinion.

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
December 11, 2017, 05:02 PM
Rog (Buttermilk421)
Looks like that bolt release would interfere with being a southpaw.

Otherwise, looks good.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

December 11, 2017, 06:01 PM
rickiesrevenge
I'm a lefty too. Couldn't get it to be in the way on the ones I installed.

Aaron
December 13, 2017, 11:24 AM
Shaggy357
I have a couple installed on my lefty stocks. No problems so far.

Although...I could put that in my miss excuse book....39."miss due to touching external bolt release button". brick

Steve Smile
"Life is a play before an audience of one. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"
December 14, 2017, 10:30 PM
Mac243
I am new to group, bet I have been playing with XP’s 20 some years . Have you tried a rear grip set up and balanced. Easy to do. Try the rear grip a few time and you might convert from center.
Triggers are easier to get, and set up(no transfer rod and links)Jewel in my choice—No savety external bolt release or go with out and use pocket knive
I just put my xf100 repearwe in a laminated stock by Russo. Most in letting done by him, everything except barrelchannel.
If you finish in letting the gun, you can look back and say I did all that, and if it shoots good you can San with a grin on face,
December 19, 2017, 08:29 AM
Freeze
quote:
Originally posted by Rog (Buttermilk421):
Looks like that bolt release would interfere with being a southpaw.

Otherwise, looks good.

I have played around and installed these in a couple of the stocks I own.
I am a right hander so not much concern for me, but I prefer the aesthetics of a very short button.

You can greatly reduce the amount of "button" that sticks out by making the pushrod inside as close to the factory bolt release as possible.

Here is the first one I did on a used Brown Precision stock, it is a shorter push button (but I could do better) ....

and here is one in an H-S Precision stock that I just installed yesterday. This button is about as short as I could possibly make it...

I hope the additional photos help, and if you need a different angle please let me know and I will try to accommodate.

-Freeze

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Freeze,
December 19, 2017, 09:35 AM
Nitemann
Freeze,

any pics of the bolt release itself out of the stock? Looks great by the way.

Rick
December 19, 2017, 10:24 AM
Freeze
quote:
Originally posted by Nitemann:
Freeze,

any pics of the bolt release itself out of the stock? Looks great by the way.

Rick

Rick,
I would have to pull the H-S Precision stock off to show you pics, which requires removing the scope as well.
I would prefer not to do that, but would if you really need to see the part.

Because the bolt stop in the Brown Precision stock is so close to the inlet, the bolt release button in that one is simply a modified 16d nail!
The head of the nail actuates the factory bolt stop, and keeps the pin from falling out. I chose a nail because it fit the hole that was already there nicely, and the head was thick enough to work, without the button needing to be too long outside the stock.

The release button for the H-S needed to be much taller internally so I fashioned the button from a 1/4" stainless carriage bolt.
To make the button I started by grinding the head down to the square shank (under the head) on opposite sides of the bolt. The result is a square shank with a curved top that extends each direction from the shank .... and looks something like this if laid on the table:

(]---

I like this design because the rounded head (smoothed and polished) makes for very nice operation of the factory bolt release.

I then turned to my drill index and looked over the bits to see what diameter button I thought "looked right". 11/64" looked about right to me.
11/64" miked about 0.172". Once the hole was drilled I turned the round shank (leaving the square portion of the shank) to 0.160",to allow for clearance, and this would become my button. The square shoulder on the bolt stops the button from falling through. I selected a 1/4" bolt because the square shank was the right thickness for the self that existed inside the inlet of the stock.

Once the button was installed I determined final length by completely depressing the bolt release and marking flush. Then I remove the button and cut the button and finish the end.
When depressed to fully operate the release the button is just flush with the stock.

Now if I actually had the right tools and know-how (rather than being an imaginative and resourceful hack) here is how I would build the buttons ....

I would start with round stock that is wide enough to sit on the inlet ledge (or machine to the proper diameter).
Then I would radius the head to create a curved surface to actuate the factory bolt release.
I would then measure to determine how tall the button needed to be internally to just clear the bolt stop.
Once internal button height was determined I would turn the shank to desired diameter for the button.
Once fit the button could be cut to length as described above.

Sorry for the long and tedious post.

-Freeze

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Freeze,
December 19, 2017, 10:52 AM
Freeze
I will be installing the same bolt release in one of the McMillian stocks (from the group buy) in the next week or 2.

If anyone is interested (I will start a new thread to not further hijack oregon45's build thread) I can take some pics to illustrate the complete process, from to marking and drilling the stock, and creating and install the pin.

This is really a pretty simple and functional DIY modification, that most people can perform. Once completed it makes a significant improvement to the functionality of the firearm.

Honestly this solves an issue that should have been taken care of during production.

-Freeze
December 19, 2017, 01:05 PM
schoolbus
Yes, please start a new thread showing the complete process for this type bolt release.

Thanks,
Gordon
December 27, 2017, 10:20 PM
Freeze
quote:
Originally posted by schoolbus:
Yes, please start a new thread showing the complete process for this type bolt release.

Thanks,
Gordon

Gordon,
I posted a tutorial ....

http://specialtypistols.infopo...6077864/m/5260064986