Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!


Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Surgeon .223 Wylde Login/Join 



posted
Hi SPF,
I've been lurking in the shadows for a while, asking questions and gathering information. I've never really contributed anything, well finally I've got something. This is my .223 Wylde.
Surgeon 591R action
Bartlein 16.1" 1-7.7 twist barrel, threaded for muzzle brake, don't need it.
McRees Precision chassis, Hunter
AICS plastic 10 round 223 magazine
Atlas bipod
Jewell trigger, set at 1.5 lbs
Nightforce one piece scope rings
Nightforce NSX F1 3x15x50

I'm shooting the 80gr Amax at 2650 fps with CFE223, Lapua brass, and Remington 6 1/2 primers, at a COAL of 2.455".
1/2" to 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards are the best I can do for now, I just started pistol shooting so I suck. Plus I just started reloading, suck at that too. But I've been having a blast hitting steel out to 600 yards, past that the wind starts making things more difficult for me. Thanks for all the help and info.








This message has been edited. Last edited by: me?,
 
Posts: 24 | Location: north | Registered: September 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Picture of bowstryder
posted Hide Post
Very nice! What is the total weight of that jewel? Looking at your target says otherwise about your "I suck" comment.
Took me forever to put a half decent group together and keep them there. But these things are like a drug!
 
Posts: 445 | Location: waynesboro, va | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post



posted Hide Post
thumbup
 
Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post



posted Hide Post
Very nice setup. Your doing alright thumbup.
 
Posts: 725 | Location: Saint Clair County, MI | Registered: December 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post



posted Hide Post
Great looking rig thumbup
You suck at shooting it???? Hardly laugh
The only suggestion I would make is to change primers. The 6-1/2's have a really thin cup, and won't take very much pressure.

Thanks for sharing!

-Mike
 
Posts: 2293 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
I agree. Nothing wrong with those groups. Also, most groups are measured center to center so if your .545" outside measurement is the 5 shot group then your group is .321". Excellent shooting by any standard. Try the Remington 7 1/2BR primer. Shooting the wind is always difficult especially when it is constantly changing.
By the way, nice looking rig.

Bret


IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director
 
Posts: 1585 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post



posted Hide Post
Nice look SP and good looking groups.

Bruce
 
Posts: 1094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post


020323



Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smokin7mm:
I agree. Nothing wrong with those groups. Also, most groups are measured center to center so if your .545" outside measurement is the 5 shot group then your group is .321". Excellent shooting by any standard. Try the Remington 7 1/2BR primer. Shooting the wind is always difficult especially when it is constantly changing.
By the way, nice looking rig.

THIS!^^^^^^


Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
 
Posts: 12186 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post


020323



Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
.3 group for 5 shots off of a bi-pod should bring happiness to you any day you can do it.
Quality build.
Who built it?
No doubt, beyond 600, it will get frisky with switchy winds, but that just helps you become an overall better distance shooter.


Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
 
Posts: 12186 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post



posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowstryder:
Very nice! What is the total weight of that jewel? Looking at your target says otherwise about your "I suck" comment.


Total weight for the Jewell is 1.5 lbs. That was my best group ever, alot of them looked like a shotgun patern.
Thanks for the kind words.
 
Posts: 24 | Location: north | Registered: September 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post



posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smokin7mm:
I agree. Nothing wrong with those groups. Also, most groups are measured center to center so if your .545" outside measurement is the 5 shot group then your group is .321". Excellent shooting by any standard. Try the Remington 7 1/2BR primer.

Bret



So, after I measure my group I get to subtract .224"?

With,"soft primers" am I giving up accuracy, the ability to push for more velocity, or is it safer to be using a harder primer? I have not popped any primers with this load, it's Hodgdon's max load for CFE223 published on their website. I had a friend look at my fired cases for over pressure signs, he said,"good to go".
Thanks
 
Posts: 24 | Location: north | Registered: September 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post



posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:
.3 group for 5 shots off of a bi-pod should bring happiness to you any day you can do it.
Quality build.
Who built it?


GA Precision put together the barreled action. I bolted the rest on.
Thanks
 
Posts: 24 | Location: north | Registered: September 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post



posted Hide Post
Not computer savvy so how do you get the pictures to open?
 
Posts: 399 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post



posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by me?:

With,"soft primers" am I giving up accuracy, the ability to push for more velocity, or is it safer to be using a harder primer? I have not popped any primers with this load, it's Hodgdon's max load for CFE223 published on their website. I had a friend look at my fired cases for over pressure signs, he said,"good to go".
Thanks


You might get better and more consistent accuracy with a hotter primer than the 6-1/2. And you would be able to push your load harder if desired without having primer piercing issues. The 6-1/2 was designed for lower pressure cartridges like the .22 Hornet ect....

Keep up the great shooting thumbup

-Mike
 
Posts: 2293 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post


020323



Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by me?:
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:
.3 group for 5 shots off of a bi-pod should bring happiness to you any day you can do it.
Quality build.
Who built it?


GA Precision put together the barreled action. I bolted the rest on.
Thanks


Excellent


Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
 
Posts: 12186 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post



posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by me?:

So, after I measure my group I get to subtract .224"?




Most people would do it that way. You're not getting the actual group size by doing it like that. The reason is that unless your shooting watcutter type bullets the bullet won't make a full diameter hole. To do it and get the most accurate measurement you can measure a single hole and subtract that diameter from the outside to outside measurement. You can also download software called ontarget which will calculate your group sizes.


Great shooting by the way. I'd also recommend trying another primer. I've shot a lot of 6.5's and they should be used in lower pressure cartridges like Mike mentioned.

Aaron
 
Posts: 2755 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Great looking build congrats!!!!! Any way you look at it that's a shooter!!!!!


---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member
 
Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post






Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
thumbup
 
Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post



posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
quote:
Originally posted by me?:

So, after I measure my group I get to subtract .224"?




Most people would do it that way. You're not getting the actual group size by doing it like that. The reason is that unless your shooting watcutter type bullets the bullet won't make a full diameter hole. To do it and get the most accurate measurement you can measure a single hole and subtract that diameter from the outside to outside measurement. You can also download software called ontarget which will calculate your group sizes.


Great shooting by the way. I'd also recommend trying another primer. I've shot a lot of 6.5's and they should be used in lower pressure cartridges like Mike mentioned.

Aaron


Thanks for the great explanation on how to measure groups! I'll try the 7 1/2 primers, maybe I can push the 80s a little faster.
 
Posts: 24 | Location: north | Registered: September 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post


020323



Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
I would look for you most consistent accuracy.
If your best load was a light load and you were competing....
If it were a comp gun, then I may have two loads:
One which is at the top of the pressure, but in switchy or heavy winds will still drift less (or have better accuracy since it does better in the wind) than the light load which was for competing in ideal or close to ideal conditions


Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
 
Posts: 12186 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post



posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:
I would look for you most consistent accuracy.
If your best load was a light load and you were competing....
If it were a comp gun, then I may have two loads:
One which is at the top of the pressure, but in switchy or heavy winds will still drift less (or have better accuracy since it does better in the wind) than the light load which was for competing in ideal or close to ideal conditions


I don't compete, but I understand the value of consistency. Consistency is probably the most important component of shooting well. Being able to eliminate as many variables as possible so that after the trigger is pulled I know that it was my lack of skill that put the bullet where it went and not my scope, pistol, or ammo.

Anyway, my plan for this gun is mostly to bang steel up to 800 yards, and maybe take out some deer and pigs under 200 yards. Has anyone killed anything with the 80gr Amax? How did it go?

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: me?,
 
Posts: 24 | Location: north | Registered: September 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post


020323



Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
You don't have to be a competitor to be a good shooter or have the understanding of what it takes.
This may be your first rodeo with a SP, but it is surely not with custom guns or your understanding of what it takes to make one shoot.
Either that or you have a had a good mentor and you paid attention.
Looking forward to your getting your 223 legs stretched in the future.
I haven't used any 22 cal A-Max's for hunting myself. I have used them in 6mm, 6.5, 7mm, and 30 cal though.
Looking at impact velocities with your 80 grain A-Max, you should have plenty of impact velocity at the distances you are considering for hunting.


Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
 
Posts: 12186 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 


© Specialty Pistols 2003 - 2021 All Rights Reserved.
All Material Contained Here Is Protected And May NOT Be Reproduced,
Copied or Distributed, in any form, Without Written Permission.
"Specialty Pistols", "Specialty Pistols Bulletin Board" and
"Specialty Pistol Gear" are Trademarks of
Accurate Arms & Ammo, LLC.