Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ultra light xp Login/Join 

posted
After my goat hunt I want to build a really light weight xp. What would you chamber it in? I'm thinking 6.5x47L, 6.5-284, or 284. I want this thing to be silly light weight. I realize it probably won't be as accurate as my heavier guns, but I need to cut weight in my pack.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Aaron,
How about a 6.5 SAUM?
I know a guy that put any taper you want on a barrel too Big Grin

-Mike

Posts: 2292 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that silly light is going to produce heavy recoil. I'd say a 7BR or similar would be best in a light gun.

Posts: 53 | Location: Arizona | Registered: May 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mike,
I hadn't considered that one. A guy I shoot with here has one in a rifle. Neat looking case.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L Cazador:
Keep in mind that silly light is going to produce heavy recoil. I'd say a 7BR or similar would be best in a light gun.

Thats true, but its all relative. I've got some bigger xp's and looking at recoil calculator online the cartridges I listed won't be recoiling anywhere near an 8.5# 300RUM or 35WSM.

I have a couple 7mm blanks I could have contoured but the small 6.5s would be pretty sweet too.

Aaron

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
I get about 2500fos from my XP in 7-08 with 140gr partition. it is a factory 7BR barrel that was rechambered to 7-08 so a very light barrel. It does not have a brake but is shot with a pistol scope. I think if it had a good brake you could easily shoot it with a rifle scope. My 6.5-284 is a heavy barrel. 1.125 at the end of the barrel (18" barrel + the brake so just a little over 20") and has a 5 port side discharge brake that is very effective. Pushing a 142gr bullet at a little over 2600 and the gun barely moves. My vote would be for the 6.5-284 with a good brake and you could use a lighter contour barrel to reduce weight. I may just be partial because I love mine so much. Big Grin

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1585 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The first xp-100 that I had built was a 6.5-284. Still have the barrel but its toast! It was really a really light contour and was a bit fussy about loads.

I have a factory 7BR barrel that I could rechamber. Its pretty darn light as it is now. I hadn't considered a 7-08, but I guess I should. I have dies and brass for that one too.

Anybody know how much a MOA weighs with out a barrel on it? Frame and stocks.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
Aaron

I would do the 284 Case,
Norma has a NEW run on just built brass, double head stamped etc,
match shooters seem to think it is the cat's meow,
with long life and good spec's etc.
Plus It will fit in along with your other 7mm's stable mates. skull

Tia,
Don

--------------------------------
"Any person that fears me owning a firearm, then I have reason to fear that person"
--------------------------------
NRA Life Member
Sturm/Ruger Armours School-State of Nevada POST-Remington/ S&W Armour Schools-NRA Certified Range Master-State of Nevada POST Range Master-Jaycor Certified Pepperball Instructor-OC Pepper Spray Instructor-Tazer Instructor-NRA Law Enforcement Armours School-Lassen College LE Armours School-NRA Police Firearms Instructor Development School
Nam "Oct 67-Dec 68"
173rd ABN 2/503rd "Recon"
Retired 10/01/2009, 36+yrs

Posts: 1239 | Location: Western NV | Registered: August 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
I would go 6.5 creedmoor, you know it's a thousand yard round. Recoil would be very light in any XP. Very good round for that kind of a build.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
My GreTan XP 100 in 7.82 Patriot weights right at 7 pounds with EER scope as pictured. I have shot it with a riflescope, however when doing so you have to practice and be careful or it will tag you. I carry this rig with a sling or tucked into my pack.

Posts: 2349 | Location: Illinois / USA | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leupold Man:
I would go 6.5 creedmoor, you know it's a thousand yard round. Recoil would be very light in any XP. Very good round for that kind of a build.

Whats the creedmore gonna do that the 6.5x47L won't?

Aaron

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dekker:
My GreTan XP 100 in 7.82 Patriot weights right at 7 pounds with EER scope as pictured. I have shot it with a riflescope, however when doing so you have to practice and be careful or it will tag you. I carry this rig with a sling or tucked into my pack.

Thats a sweet lookin' gun. I'd like it to weigh less than that though. I've got a few guns that are in the 7# range. I'd really like this one to be under 5#.

Aaron

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
thumbup
quote:

thumbup

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
What impact velocity do you want at what max distance and what game animal(s)?
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
After my goat hunt I want to build a really light weight xp. What would you chamber it in? I'm thinking 6.5x47L, 6.5-284, or 284. I want this thing to be silly light weight. I realize it probably won't be as accurate as my heavier guns, but I need to cut weight in my pack.

Aaron

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
A great mountain xp ( lite weieght)in 6.5 creedmoor would b my choice. Excellent baiistics, 130 gr accubond & my 6.5 creed is super accurate.
My 2cents
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
How about the 7 SAUM on one of your 7mm blanks?

Based on my experience with the 7 SAUM (and the 280AI, its ballistic twin), and the 284, the 7 SAUM will/should better the 284 by ~100 FPS, and in some cases more.

Norma makes brass for the 7 SAUM also.

Contour it on the lighter side, say 0.900" or less 5" or so from the breach, muzzle dia of 0.750 or less (maybe even as low as 0.700"). Keep the barrel at 17" or so.

Flute the bolt, use aluminum scope base and use aluminum scope rings. Pick a lighter weight scope, and probably can build it fairly light.

And still keep some long range potential.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rog (Buttermilk421),

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nmhunter:
A great mountain xp ( lite weieght)in 6.5 creedmoor would b my choice. Excellent baiistics, 130 gr accubond & my 6.5 creed is super accurate.
My 2cents
Nmhunter

How long is your barrel? What how fast do they go?

Aaron

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:
What impact velocity do you want at what max distance and what game animal(s)?

I'm thinking midrange. Like 5-600 max. Deer, goats, sheep. I've got bigger guns for when elk is on the menu.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rog (Buttermilk421):
How about the 7 SAUM on one of your 7mm blanks?

Based on my experience with the 7 SAUM (and the 280AI, its ballistic twin), and the 284, the 7 SAUM will/should better the 284 by ~100 FPS, and in some cases more.

Norma makes brass for the 7 SAUM also.

Contour it on the lighter side, say 0.900" or less 5" or so from the breach, muzzle dia of 0.750 or less (maybe even as low as 0.700"). Keep the barrel at 17" or so.

Flute the bolt, use aluminum scope base and use aluminum scope rings. Pick a lighter weight scope, and probably can build it fairly light.

And still keep some long range potential.

I plan on using Tally lightweight rings/base combo. They are about 2oz for the pair. Just have to drill and tap a hole for the rear ring. I've got a 3-9x leupy compact thats pretty light. Even with that I don't think that a barrel as heavy as your thinking is going allow me to make the weight I have in mind. It doesn't need to be a tack driver, just under MOA would be fine for this one. I do have a 280AI reamer too.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
What barrel contour do you think you'll have to go with to make your target weight?

Sounds like you've got the other covered.

The 280AI would be a good choice, ballistically.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Carbon fiber wrapped barrel. Not only significantly lighter, but also easier to tune with load development. $900.

Posts: 238 | Location: Virginia | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Gator T/C
posted Hide Post
Interesting scenario. Understand that you want as light as possible for packing purpose. Seems to me that a Contender in 6.5JDJ with a Leupold 2-1/2x8 would fit the bill without compromising an XP. It would have the advantage that it could be "packed" much more easily in one of the shoulder rigs. Size/weight is the primary reason that I generally hunt with my Contenders and target shoot with Encore and XP's! Good luck, always fascinating what experiences "inspire" us to come up with.

Brad

------------------------------
Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 7x47(SSK),308 Bellm, .338 SSK Woodswalker (2),358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.243,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA .22LR, .243
XP-700LA .25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper

Posts: 1244 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
Right now all my moa's have barrels mounted but I will bet you dollars to donuts that with equal barrels that a MOA will be lighter than any XP. The bet can be paid at the 2016 MOA Cold Turkey 10th anniversary match!

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
A Proof Research Sendero Light barrel would be the cat's meow, and they are very accurate!
I would consider a "06" capacity or a tad more.
I would go with a 6.5 or a 7 myself, although a 30 would work too for what you are wanting.
I would want to keep impact velocities at 1900 to 2000 fps @ your max range.
This ensures bullet performance when it hits tissue with AB's and Berger's in mind. A 162 Grain A-Max (7mm) could have a lower impact velocity though.

My center-grip 284 Win's barrel finishes at .612 and it shoots definitely better than 1 MOA @ 500 yards.
A mild load 1956 fps @ 600 yards with the AMAX. 18". If you went with a 15-16" barrel, you would lose 60-90 fps. For hunting set-up I would be willing to do more load development and I am betting I would still have sub MOA groups and gain at least 50 fps if not some more, and still do it safely.

I am not sure what a minimum in barrel diameter would be for the first 2 to 2.5 inches though.
But I would have no problem with it ending at .600 after having my current center-grip 284 Win.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
A 15" 6.5-284 with the A-Max will get you around 1950 fps at 600 yards.

Personally I wouldn't use a MOA, if I thought that fast reloading would come into play.
All of plan to be one and done, but things don't happen that way every time in the real world of hunting. I can reload a XP much faster than I can a MOA, especially when prone.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
Gary,
I have no doubts that an MOA with the same contour barrel as an XP will weigh less. Do you have any with full bull barrels? If so I can put the numbers in lilja's barrel weight calculator and see what one weighs without the barrel.

I haven't considered the contender for a couple reasons. The first is I don't have one! Doesn't the 6.5jdj use 225 brass?

Aaron

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
The 6.5JDJ won't give you the downrange performance you want for this project

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gary,
I have no doubts that an MOA with the same contour barrel as an XP will weigh less. Do you have any with full bull barrels? If so I can put the numbers in lilja's barrel weight calculator and see what one weighs without the barrel.

I haven't considered the contender for a couple reasons. The first is I don't have one! Doesn't the 6.5jdj use 225 brass?

Aaron

My barrels are all 15" straight bull barrels(1and1/8" diameter). The smaller jdj cartridges use a 225 win case - hard to find.

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I just called proof research. They don't make barrels short enough. For most its 22" minimum. They guy on the phone said that they are so far behind that if its not one the items thats standard they won't make it right now.

They do make 6mm barrels to 16.5" though. But I don't think a 6mm is big enough.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
Isn't benchmark starting to sell carbon wrapped barrels? Wonder if they would do one short enough.

Posts: 126 | Location: missouri | Registered: June 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
Aaron I forgot about the Ultra Light Arms Model 20 Hunter Pistol I have tucked back in my safe. I will have to weight it with scope and all, but it just might make your weight limit. Mine is in 257 Roberts and the gun without mount, glass, and ammo per the literature is suppose to be 64 ounces. The Model 20 action is noticeably smaller than the XP 100 action.
I will see if I have a pic of it.

Posts: 2349 | Location: Illinois / USA | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thats what I'm talking about!!! That'd be under 5# with talley lightweights and a compact leupy.

Aaron

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
I still need to get it on a decent scale just to be sure of the weight with the glass, but it is easily lighter than my XP's. It has a blind magazine, that is why it looks thicker/deeper between the grip and the bolt.

Picture of bowstryder
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I never knew these existed.

Posts: 445 | Location: waynesboro, va | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
You still have much to learn young grasshopper... Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by bowstryder:

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Sawcarver
posted Hide Post
I would go with a 6.5 creedmoor, Norma is making brass so you aren't stuck with hornady brass. What will it do more than a 6.5x47? I think it is a bit more forgiving on load development. Pleanty of horse power when you get out there. And not a ton of recoil.

280AI would be another choice if you want to stay with 7mm.

Posts: 961 | Location: Howell MI | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Creed should outrun the 47L a little bit too.
6.5-284 would be in the running here too.
I just like the 7mm better for killing myself.
7-08AI, 284 Win, 284 Shehane, 280, and the 280AI are all great contenders IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by Sawcarver:
I would go with a 6.5 Creedmoor, Norma is making brass so you aren't stuck with Hornady brass. What will it do more than a 6.5x47? I think it is a bit more forgiving on load development. Plenty of horse power when you get out there. And not a ton of recoil.

280AI would be another choice if you want to stay with 7mm.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Wanna sell that lightweight??? Big Grin
quote:
I still need to get it on a decent scale just to be sure of the weight with the glass, but it is easily lighter than my XP's. It has a blind magazine, that is why it looks thicker/deeper between the grip and the bolt.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Sawcarver
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure you already have 280AI stuff laying around too Aaron...

Posts: 961 | Location: Howell MI | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That's true Adam. I do have 280AI stuff. Right now I'm really leaning towards the 284. Not set, just leaning that way.
Aaron

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Aaron, my. 6.5 creed is aa 15" + brake, contoured to 9.8"
@15", total barrel length is just shy of 17" , mcmillan stock & leupold base/rings.
Alittle heavy for what you may be looking at. This gun has almost "0" recoil though. A smaller diameter barrel would work very well.
I also have some 284's & 6.5x284's that are just as accurate. Any of the calibers you are looking at would do the trick. One other round to think about, the 25 wssm?
Choices,choices,choices nuts
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Always kinda thought a 6.5WSSM would be kinda neat. A shorter case could have a barrel with a shorter shank too.

Aaron

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
A 6.5 wssm would be a neat cartridgw, 6.5 all wrapped up in a shorter case with powder capacity very close to the 06 case size
Something to think about
Nmhunter

posted Hide Post
Aaron,
You can also take some of the steps the old time silhouette shooters did to make weight.
They skeletonized the bolt bodies, lightened the bolt handles, and removed as much material as possible from the receiver without compromising the strength.

-Mike

Posts: 2292 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dekker
posted Hide Post
Alright the Ultra Light Arms pistol with Talley ring/mounts and Leupold EER 2.5x8 scope weights in at 4.84 pounds without sling & ammo. You will save a little more with the Leupold Ultralight scope.

posted Hide Post
Dekker,
I sure like the looks of your ULA handgun. thumbup I wish they were still in production. Sad

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1674 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
We used to make rifles down to 6lbs, so a pistol should be able to reach 5lbs. Like was mentioned, you would need to remove all excess metal from behind the reciver ring, bolt and trigger guard. Also remove as much weight from the stock. The barrel can be pincil thin with a break. Hunting shots are normally only one or two rounds. Of course sighting in and load development for a rig like this takes time. After initial sight in (read getting getting on paper and close to bull), we always started with a clean cold barrel. Most of the time waiting untill the next day to shoot again, no more than three rounds a time. I owned a 240 weatherby that shot high .650's that weighed 6lbs loaded. Of course it was a three shot group that went to hell after that. It is a ton of work and when finished a gun although very light, limited to just what it was built for.

---------------------------------
"All your skill is to no avail when an Angel ****es in your touch hole". :Old German hunters quote.

Posts: 167 | Location: Troy, MT | Registered: September 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Alright the Ultra Light Arms pistol with Talley ring/mounts and Leupold EER 2.5x8 scope weights in at 4.84 pounds without sling & ammo. You will save a little more with the Leupold Ultralight scope.

Thats pretty light.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 40xmike:
Aaron,
You can also take some of the steps the old time silhouette shooters did to make weight.
They skeletonized the bolt bodies, lightened the bolt handles, and removed as much material as possible from the receiver without compromising the strength.

-Mike

Mike,
I've already started this. I haven't taken any off the bolt body yet, but did the handle and the receiver. How much do you think I could take off the bolt body? I was kinda thinking about making it a hexagon instead of fluting it.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 40xmike:
Aaron,

-Mike

Mike,
I've already started this. I haven't taken any off the bolt body yet, but did the handle and the receiver. How much do you think I could take off the bolt body? I was kinda thinking about making it a hexagon instead of fluting it.

Aaron

Aaron,
I have seen where they drilled a pattern of cross-holes through the bolt body to get weight off of it.

-Mike

posted Hide Post
Mike,
I'm a little nervous about drilling holes into the body because it could let debris into it. I can see it for a match gun where you're not gonna have it in the woods.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike,
I'm a little nervous about drilling holes into the body because it could let debris into it. I can see it for a match gun where you're not gonna have it in the woods.

Aaron

Aaron,
I too would share that same concern.
I would probably go with spiral fluting to get the most weight off and maintain the integrity of the bolt.
I have been kicking around the idea of a titanium muzzle brake too...

-Mike

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

I'm selling a custom XP100-R in 308 Win in the classified section that as is weighs less than 5 pounds. Match grade barrel to boot....just an option.

CW
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!

www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -

Posts: 1227 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Aaron,
I would probably go with spiral fluting to get the most weight off and maintain the integrity of the bolt.

-Mike[/QUOTE]

Mike, Do you know of anyone doing titanium brakes? Have thought about that route myself for the one I'm working on. What about the durability of titanium?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Iowa Fox,

Posts: 1611 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
For hunting, an aluminum brake would be another option. Lot cheaper too.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Iowa Fox:
Aaron,

-Mike

Mike, Do you know of anyone doing titanium brakes? Have thought about that route myself for the one I'm working on. What about the durability of titanium?[/QUOTE]

Iowa Fox,
I just happened to have a piece of 1" dia. titanium bar that's been begging me to do something with it Smile
Durability would not an issue.
It would be a fun project when hunting season is over...
-Mike

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Proof Research does titanium brakes for their custom rifle's

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
I got the barrel back from getting turned down and fluted. It looks great. Started on the muzzle brake for it and the stock is coming along. Shouldn't be too much longer.

Aaron

Picture of Left Hand Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:

SOLD And up until now didn't even know you needed one Big Grin

Posts: 451 | Location: Ohio | Registered: February 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
In the '06 class cases, don't overlook the 6.5x55 AI. Fired brass ejects freely and will run darn close to the 6.5x284. My XP is showing great promise in it and case capacity is running neck and neck with the 6.5x284. The Swede brass is also cheaper than the other 6.5's as well.

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Da-Law-Dawg:
In the '06 class cases, don't overlook the 6.5x55 AI. Fired brass ejects freely and will run darn close to the 6.5x284. My XP is showing great promise in it and case capacity is running neck and neck with the 6.5x284. The Swede brass is also cheaper than the other 6.5's as well.

Nothing wrong with the swede. But I don't know accurate those 6.5 bullets will be going down my 7mm barrel Big Grin

Aaron

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Da-Law-Dawg:

Nothing wrong with the swede. But I don't know accurate those 6.5 bullets will be going down my 7mm barrel Big Grin

Aaron

Oops! Missed that one! LOL!! Big Grin

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
(From what I have read and heard from gunsmiths and barrel makers...) How is a completed barrel re-contoured without resulting in warpage? Is it honed a second time after additional machining? Same would be true of fluting after final honing.

Thanks,

deepwater

Posts: 238 | Location: Virginia | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of bowstryder
posted Hide Post
Aaron have you figured out which chambering yet? I have a brand new ptg match reamer .284 win with .220 free bore (building a rig to shoot the 162's that I would send ya.

Posts: 445 | Location: waynesboro, va | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
I think he is going with the 284 Win.
I would go that way, or with the 7SAUM.
Both will meet his requirements

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

posted Hide Post
Ernie is right. I'm doing a 284. I've already got a reamer for it. Bought it quite a while ago and I've never used it! It was just too good of a deal to pass up and I knew I'd build one eventually.

deepwater, you're right that a lot of companys won't turn or flute barrels after they are done. But there are a lot who will. I've had several barrels turned town by the guy who did mine. He does a great job. The machines that he uses water cool the part so no heat is in the part. All the heat comes off in the chips. I think that would drastically change how the metal reacts as far as warpage.

To be honest I think that a lot of guys won't turn barrels because it take a lot of time to do on a manual machine. LOTS of passes to take a 1.25" barrel down to a sporter contour.

Aaron

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
quote:

deepwater, you're right that a lot of companys won't turn or flute barrels after they are done. But there are a lot who will. I've had several barrels turned town by the guy who did mine. He does a great job. The machines that he uses water cool the part so no heat is in the part. All the heat comes off in the chips. I think that would drastically change how the metal reacts as far as warpage.

To be honest I think that a lot of guys won't turn barrels because it take a lot of time to do on a manual machine. LOTS of passes to take a 1.25" barrel down to a sporter contour.

Aaron

It's not just the heat but also the pressure and relieving of the metal. Taking lot's of light cuts helps but your still moving stresses around and changing harmonics. If it works that's great if not you may just need to have it stress relieved when your done. 2cents

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4627 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
And stress relieving will not necessarily straighten it, as new stresses were imparted by the pressure of the tool bit.

For mountain hunting and a thin barrel, it seems to me that post-production barrel contouring introduces POTENTIAL problems for load development. Ambient temp. differences and heat from the firing. I had a Rem Mtn Rifle in .280 rem. It would not fire accurate strings unless I let it cool 15 mins. between shots. The thin (and 22") barrel moved with the heat of each additional shot.

You guys are more knowledgeable and experienced than I, so I guess it will all work out for the best. But I will never have another skinny barrel, especially for cartridges that are leaning towards over bored.

deepwater

posted Hide Post
Guess we'll see....

Picture of snowsnake
posted Hide Post
"I sure like the looks of your ULA handgun.I wish they were still in production. Sad"

Looks like Melvins not done yet. Maybe with a little begging you could get a barreled action http://www.newultralight.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: snowsnake,

Posts: 234 | Location: S.W. VA | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Getting closer. Fluted the bolt the other day. Still working on the stock for it. At this point I'm very confident that the whole thing will be 5# or under.

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Like that bolt-Good stuff!

quote:
Getting closer. Fluted the bolt the other day. Still working on the stock for it. At this point I'm very confident that the whole thing will be 5# or under.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Picture of Duffy
posted Hide Post
Like that bolt! Just have to think like the japanese on their moto X bikes. Everything is hogged out and they use tiny headed screws or allen screws for less weight. Maybe you could find some titanium screws.$$$ Big Grin

A body at rest stays at rest, until the wife shows up.
Ryan

Posts: 4627 | Location: Odessa Wa. | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Aaron,

I like the lightening cuts on the underside of the bolt.

Also, I have been thinking about my previous post for several weeks now. My negative experience with a thin barrel was a 22" pencil rifle barrel. After the chamber and taper, your barrel will be about half that length. I have come to understand your decision and the errors of my extrapolation towards the performance of a shorter XP100 barrel.

Fred

posted Hide Post
Very Nice, Aaron.

How about an ounce or two off the bolt shroud? Put some flutes in it... Smile

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Picture of bowstryder
posted Hide Post
Aaron your fluting looks fantastic! Me likey!

posted Hide Post
Aaron,
I can't wait to see the finished gun thumbup

Nice work buddy!

-Mike

posted Hide Post
I switched from the steel shroud thats normally on them to an aluminum one made by PTG. That saved an once. I suppose I could flute or turn the aluminum one down and cut the weight a bit more. Fluting the aluminum doesn't take off as much weight though Sad

Aaron

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepwater:
Aaron,

I like the lightening cuts on the underside of the bolt.

Also, I have been thinking about my previous post for several weeks now. My negative experience with a thin barrel was a 22" pencil rifle barrel. After the chamber and taper, your barrel will be about half that length. I have come to understand your decision and the errors of my extrapolation towards the performance of a shorter XP100 barrel.

Fred

Fred,
I've had thin rifle barrels too. The rifle I took on my sheep hunt was pretty darn light. It weighed right at 6# with the scope. It was a bit temperamental finding a load but once I found it all was well. It shot a comfortable 1/2MOA. This barrel is much shorter than that rifle barrel and its actually a heavier taper.

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

I like my SP's like Hoggin likes his women (SUPER HEAVY) Cool, but this build has got me excited to see the finished product and how she shoots! I love when folks think outside the box and go for it! Lovin' this thread.....

CW

www.codyweiser.com

Posts: 1227 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Made an aluminum trigger, linkage and hanger.

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! U are talented! Nicely done.

CW

www.codyweiser.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXBRASS:
WOW!!! U are talented! Nicely done.

I wish. Big Grin Mike is talented. Someday I want to be able to make stuff as nice as Mike can.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
Looking good!

You gonna flute the sides of that trigger linkage? Big Grin

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)