Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a replacement for rimfires Login/Join 

posted
Hi,

I fancy a small centre-fire as a replacement for my rimfires, something with a little more energy than the 17Hmr. Top end fully covered with 222 etc and above.

I do not really want a hornet or a round based on the hornet. As I would like it to built on a Remington rear grip or rifle re-stocked, something like a Fireball which would have a short mag and more likely to feed to feed with less problems. A 17, 20 or 22 ?

Case preparation and load development is part of fun , so not a problem.

Has anyone had built a small round based on a set back / shortened fireball, 222 or 30 carbine case etc. Only looking for around an accurate 100 yds for Rabbits, vermin etc with a good sound moderator.

I would be interested if anyone has any suggestions.

G

Posts: 117 | Location: UK | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
dogfox1
I'd suggest the 20 Vartarg. Very efficient, and amazingly accurate. I have two of them. Probably one of my favorites Big Grin
It's just a .221 FB necked down to .204 cal. w/30 deg. shoulder. I'm getting 3500 fps out of the 16" barrels with 32 gr. bullets. Running 18.7 grains of H4198.

-Mike

Posts: 2293 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd suggest the 20 Vartarg. Very efficient, and amazingly accurate. I have two of them. Probably one of my favorites
It's just a .221 FB necked down to .204 cal. w/30 deg. shoulder. I'm getting 3500 fps out of the 16" barrels with 32 gr. bullets. Running 18.7 grains of H4198.

Many thanks for the reply, but I am looking a round with a lot less velocity and energy.

I was thinking about about a much shortened fireball case in either 17, 20 or 22.

G

Posts: 117 | Location: UK | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
How about a 5.7x28mm? Much smaller case than even a fireball. Runs the light .224" bullets and could easily be loaded subsonic, for a moderator, with heavier bullets. The case is "rimless" which lends itself better to a bolt gun. I think it'd be quite fun. Wink

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19996 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about a 5.7x28mm?

That would be a good one, or even perhaps the 22 TCM. Brass can made from plentiful 223 cases. I don't know whether the 5.7 or TCM would be easier to find ready made brass for, but they are pretty similar in ballistics. Close enough anyway.

thumbup Rod
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6522 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
Graff & Sons has 22 TCM brass in stock, Armscore brand.

Albert
Life Member NRA
Navy Submarine Veteran

Posts: 10781 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You want a shorter case than a fireball to feed in a remington? Good luck with that. A 17Shrew would be in the ballpark of what you're looking for. It's a 223 case thats cut down to 1" and then necked down to 17. Similar capacity as a 17 ackley hornet. Better brass though.

Aaron

Posts: 2758 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi,

Many thanks for all the comments,

I will check out 22 TCM and I did come across the 17 Shrew and wondered if something similar had been done in a 20 or 22 but could not find much data on any shrew at all.

G

posted Hide Post
quote:
ou want a shorter case than a fireball to feed in a remington? Good luck with that. A 17Shrew would be in the ballpark of what you're looking for. It's a 223 case thats cut down to 1" and then necked down to 17. Similar capacity as a 17 ackley hornet. Better brass though.

Aaron

Many thanks for the heads up. are shorter cases in a short action Remington difficult to feed, that's my I thought starting with a fireball would be a good basis for the project.But single shot loading would not be too much of a loss.
G

posted Hide Post
As far as feeding, they DO make a 22 TCM rifle but quality may be wanting. Not enough info about them to be "real" sure.
22 TCM brass can be had from a few different places. I got mine from AmmoSupplyWarehouse.com. Nice looking stuff with the proper head stamp. Much better than going thru the trouble of making your own from .223/5.56.
I'am working on a 'necked down" version of the 22 TCM. 20 TCM. (reamer on the way Cool) And a couple of guys are even doing 17s and 14s. I single feed from a Savage action so no worries. Same head size as the .223/5.56 so it's an easy build.

Posts: 385 | Location: Northern California | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
There's a few guys on saubier.com that have been playing with the 22TCM necked down. A full length fireball case can be made to feed. Shorter than that is gonna be a crap shoot. Could probably make one feed from a short pistol mag but then you'd be really limited on bullet selection to keep the OAL short enough to fit in the mag.

Aaron

Posts: 2758 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Seems like the rifle chambered for the 22 as well as the pistol is mag fed and there seems to be no issues feeding.

Posts: 385 | Location: Northern California | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
On a remington action? Thats what the OP said he wants to use.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
No, it's not a Remington action. Rock Island Armory AKA Armscore builds the rifle. Not the greatest in quality but it's the 22 TCM chambered rig. Forget getting anything to feed the TCM if it isn't built for it. That's why you go single feed and don't look back. Wink