Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Rest Login/Join 

posted
Since the Bog PSR is no longer made, I needed some type of field rest to help me out. I can’t shoot prone due to a knee replacement; plus, the area I go to has some high weeds at times. I made a PSR style rest and it will attach to my Pig Saddle. This worked pretty well, but not exactly what I was looking for.

If you're hunting sage rats, prairie dogs, coyotes, etc. where you are not moving around a lot, this may work for you. I think this would also work well with break action pistols.

My recently finished rest will work with my Claw Bag as well as the pig saddle. The photo below shows my SP on the claw bag along with a squeeze bag under the grip. The squeeze bag gives a very stable support for the rear.

The photo below shows a round wooden disk that the Claw Bag sits on. This really helps steady the bag.

The two photos below show the adjustability of the rest. The black line on the second photo is a marker to move the seat up for use with the bag. In the seats current position, it is setup for the Pig Saddle.

Below, with the Claw Bag removed, the Pig Saddle is installed. Adjusting the seat for the squeeze bag, it fits right under the grip.

At this point I left the seat the squeeze bag is on long. I may cut it down after giving it so heavy use. By it being long, it allows me to rest my forearm on it. So far under range firing conditions, it has been very sturdy.

The seat under the squeeze bag has a thin rubber mat. Also, I added the same mat on the plate where the wing nuts are. When the wing nuts are tightened up finger tight, the seat does not slip.

I cut the adjustable slots with my router. By using flange bolts, a washer is not needed, and the flange helps hold the seat in place.

The rest is made out of ¼” aluminum plate by 3 ½” wide.

Today, I used the rest and it worked out very well. I used the Claw Bag as well as the Pig Saddle and was pleased with both.

Here are the dimensions if anyone is interested.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: K9TXS,

Posts: 157 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Looks great
When I get back home think I'll look for some materials and get to work.
Thanks for sharing

Posts: 301 | Location: Were the RV sits | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
Nice work with a very detailed description. Thanks for taking the time to share your idea.

Posts: 938 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I like it a lot nicer than any I have made, would it be ok to use some of your ideas?

Posts: 227 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: January 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Very interesting idea. I like it.

Posts: 355 | Location: Lone Jack MO | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Handi 204:
I like it a lot nicer than any I have made, would it be ok to use some of your ideas?

Of course. That's why I posted the size of it at the end.

One thing that is not shown is the end of the seat that the squeeze bag sits on. It is bent downward at a 20* angle and round on the end.

If you make one let us know how it goes.

Posts: 157 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Knucklehead 61
posted Hide Post
Nice.
Know what you mean about the replacement knees, I positively dread having to get down on the floor Had mine about 7 years now. Smile

Posts: 87 | Location: south of the piney woods | Registered: December 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I think the coolest part is the tray holding your ammo box! Don't get me wrong I like the idea of the rest but that tray is something totally new to me.

Aaron

Posts: 2747 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
I think the coolest part is the tray holding your ammo box! Don't get me wrong I like the idea of the rest but that tray is something totally new to me.

Aaron

I made this one, but these can be bought in numerous different sizes on the net. Look up tripod trays and you'll find a bunch of them.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice work with a very detailed description.

Posts: 35 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: December 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Great presentation of some excellent ideas. thumbup

Posts: 753 | Location: Idaho | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Looks very nice. What brand tripod ? Thanks .

Posts: 465 | Location: Central east coast Florida.  | Registered: November 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rooterpig:
Looks very nice. What brand tripod ? Thanks .

SLIK AMT 700 DX

This message has been edited. Last edited by: K9TXS,

Picture of Bobcat
posted Hide Post
Nice job, thanks for sharing!

------------------------------
I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.
General Robert E. Lee

Posts: 2154 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: March 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post