Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having some fun with a good friend Login/Join 

Picture of Ernie
posted
I was able to spend about three hours shooting out at Chuck’s Place. Dan Ekstrom met me there, and we shot a number of specialty pistols. The first one, was a custom shop Remington XP-100, chambered in 6 BR (1-14 twist) that I picked up that is extremely clean. Two different hand loads came with it, plus 3 boxes of Remington factory ammunition. The group that Dan is pointing at is the load that uses the 70 grain Nosler ballistic tip.

The scope that was on there was an old Burris 7x long eye relief. There were also some 60 grain Sierra hollow point loads, and they did not shoot as good. I decided we would just shoot those up so we could use the brass.
The point of impact was very close to the 70 grain bullet, so we begin shooting at 250 yards, with Dan on the pistol. He shot at 250 and 300 yards, and then took a break and I began shooting. To make things more fun I decided to go out to 400 yards, and obviously the holdover was fairly high. I got lucky, and found a spot to hold over on and ran about 10 consecutive hits or so on 10” steel.

I put a Leupold scope on it the day after, which will make things a lot easier. I also put a scope on Denny’s new 6.5 Creed that Chris Rhodes recently built. We shot it at 100 yards, got the scope zeroed, and zeroed the turrets using factory ammo. It is a good shooter.
I picked up a HS precision 22-250 used, and Chris put a brake on it. It has a 1-14 twist, so we used 50 grain VMAX bullets.

I took it all the way out to 750 yards, where it was still shooting under minute of angle. That was just cool for a 50 grain V-Max bullet.
We were both very pleased with its accuracy.
Dan shot his 6 mm creed XP that Chuck McIntosh built out to 500 yards.
Dan and I shot my little Anschutz 22 Magnum at 50 and 100 yards off Bog Gear.
The target above the 6BR group.
The time was packed with a whole lot of trigger time. A great afternoon.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12187 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Great post Ernie, I'm happy for you guys getting to share some time together at Chuck's. That's the finest long range I have ever been to, not to mention the fine gents that frequent it.

Jon

Posts: 1626 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
You the lucky man flag

Awesome xp’s and especially like the 6br.

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9438 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Congrats Ernie great shooting! I agree with Jon that Chucks range is amazing!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
That 6BR is sweet looking, really liked those custom shop stocks

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3517 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Great write up Ernie,
I hope you Dan and Chuck are doing well. I second Jon’s thoughts. I absolutely love Chucks range.
Derek >>>—————>

Posts: 910 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of katcher
posted Hide Post
Ha!
You couldn't knock the smile off my face with a hickory ax handle as I read your post Ernie! Reminds me of some good shooting with my 13 yr old nephew a few years ago...before I broke my neck the second time. I had him shooting steel at 113 yards with my XP 257 Robts AI and XP 22-250 AI with hand loads. His face was precious!

Posts: 664 | Location: SE Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a lot of fun with some good looking pistols! Thanks for sharing

Chris

Posts: 698 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nice shooting and haveing fun too. Great looking guns.

Posts: 925 | Location: Ga. | Registered: January 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post