Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new build Login/Join 

posted
When is someone going to build one of these on a SP?

weatherby

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Aaron,I always wondered why Weatherby never made a 6.5
I guess they left it to the wildcatters.
Matt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 17VLD,

------------------------------
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
VHA LIFE MEMBER
IBS MEMBER

Posts: 635 | Location: Upstate South Carolina  | Registered: March 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
At $95 per box for proprietary ammo, why not?

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3512 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I wonder if it is based on the .270 or .300 length Weatherby case.
Don't really like belted cases but I do appreciate what Mr Weatherby started
back in the '40's
Matt

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
VHA LIFE MEMBER
IBS MEMBER

Posts: 635 | Location: Upstate South Carolina  | Registered: March 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Aaron,
I actually watched a hunting show the other day where the host was shooting a McWhorter built rifle in this chambering. He shot an antelope with it at 270 something yards. Didn't kill it any deader than a 6.5 mm of any other flavor would have popcorn -Not a true test of it's capability out of a rifle though...
Might be a little much in an SP???? Maybe not?
Seems like a case that size deserves a 7mm or larger diameter bullet to realize the full potential 2cents

-Mike

Posts: 2293 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Matt,
They say its a 6.5-300 weatherby so I'd guess the .300 is the parent case.

Mike,
I agree that 270yards isn't really a test of a case that big. Not saying that I think it would be efficient in a sp length barrel either.

Aaron

Posts: 2756 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
McWhorter builds theirs on the 270 Wby case. This one is on the 300 Wby. At 90.00 bucks a box, order me a case![LOL]

Sonny

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 816 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
Sorry Aaron, I was still typing when you posted.

Sonny

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 816 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm not surprised its $90+ per box. Have you seen the price of brass lately? I saw some big nosler stuff on the shelf yesterday at sportsmans. $75/25. Thats $3 per case. So that would take up about 2/3 of the cost for that box of ammo.

Aaron

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
What would be a screamer would be a 270 weatherby necked down to the 6.5. Still overkill but not as bad as the 6..5-300.
What do you think?
Da! it would be a 6.5 wsm with a belt. Was'nt thinking
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
That is a 6.5wby that McWhorter builds.

Sonny

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nmhunter:
What would be a screamer would be a 270 weatherby necked down to the 6.5. Still overkill but not as bad as the 6..5-300.
What do you think?
Da! it would be a 6.5 wsm with a belt. Was'nt thinking
Nmhunter

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
guess i do not have this quote thing right.

Sonny

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

posted Hide Post
They finally got around to the 6.5/300. Some of the 1000 yd. shooters from Williamsport, PA were deer hunting with their long range rifles in 6.5/300 way back in the early 60's. Two people I went to high school with shot their deer annually at long range with it. I graduated in 1962.
Tom

Posts: 285 | Location: upstate PA | Registered: September 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
I'm not surprised its $90+ per box. Have you seen the price of brass lately? I saw some big nosler stuff on the shelf yesterday at sportsmans. $75/25. Thats $3 per case. So that would take up about 2/3 of the cost for that box of ammo.

Aaron

Yeah,
I've been buying 28 nosler brass one box at a time lol! I think there must be some expodential increase in cost to this silly game for every 100 yards past a 1000 that we try to shoot! hammer

Mike

Posts: 2293 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sorry Aaron I need to absorb what I see before I start typing.My mind starts dreaming about another cartridge before I really process it.Thats a lot of powder down that diameter bore.I shoot a .270 Weatherby during elk and deer season, my buddy shoots the 7mm Weatherby they are on the same case length I knew the .300
was longer just could'nt imagine Weatherby building a 6.5 on such a big case.
But there it is in black and white. nuts
Matt

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
VHA LIFE MEMBER
IBS MEMBER

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Although the concept has been out there for years, I think that any Weatherby lovers will love this round. I agree that Weatherby ammo is expensive, but in a lot of cases you get what you pay for. I would love to see Weatherby come out with it in there pistol!!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
Isn't it just like the 6.5 stw?

Sonny

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

posted Hide Post
Should be really close.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
I couldn't imagine what barrel life would be on these rounds. The 6.5-06aklyimp is over bore, so these have to be really bad. I know powders have gotten better since the P.O. Ackly days, but the throat still shouldn't last very long.

I could be off base here, but I just don't see how you could stuff that much powder down that small bore very often.

---------------------------------
"All your skill is to no avail when an Angel ****es in your touch hole". :Old German hunters quote.

Posts: 167 | Location: Troy, MT | Registered: September 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post