Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 VarTarg barrel length Login/Join 

posted
I recently received a very nice Striker in .223 from a great gentleman on this forum. The Striker is very accurate and had some great smithing done to the trigger. Trigger is better than any I've seen on a Savage non-Accutrigger rifle.

I bought the Savage after waiting a year now (Met gunsmith and paid 1/2, and ordered 1 year ago this March 15th) for my XP-100 in 20VT to be finished. The original XP short barrel in .221 was a decent shooter, but there's no question why they called it the FIREBALL.

That's another story though...

I purchased a 24" Savage 20VT barrel that I was planning to put on a Sav 12FV rifle, but I have lots of prairie dog rifles, but nothing in a adequate pistol, except for the .223 Striker now. I shoot a bunch of .204R in rifles, and thought a 20 in the pistol would be a great little addition, and maybe a bit less muzzle blast than the .223 Striker.

So the question: If you weren't going to put a brake or suppressor on it, what length would you go with?

Anyone shooting a 20VT in a 17"-18" pistol barrel?

I'm pretty good at loading the .204 for a 20" AR-15, and I would think I can come up with a load in a 17-18 incher.

Any thoughts?

Hoser

Posts: 23 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: January 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
Hoser,
My vartarg has a 16" Krieger barrel plus a Harrell break. I know you don't need a break on a Vartarg but at 100 yards I can see my impact! (second one being built now) It is a blast to shoot and likes 32gr. Hornady and Sierra bullets.
Derek >>>------->

Posts: 910 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I would think anything from 12” on up would do fine.

Posts: 4020 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I ended up having it cut down to 20” and threaded for a suppressor. I now wish I had gone with 18”, as I planned to leave the can on it, but won’t fit in my nice case with it screwed on. I also went with 20” in case this pistol thing didn’t work out and I would screw it onto a rifle action.

The pistol shoots great, but I might still have it cut to 18”. Blam

Posts: 23 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: January 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
My XP 20 Vartarg wears a 17" full profile Krieger barrel with spiral fluting.
Awesome rig. It is heavy, almost 11 pounds but the weight really tames the ferocious recoil of the 20 Vartarg And the fluting helps keep it cool from the massive amounts of powder it burns. laugh laugh

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1585 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post