Specialty Pistols
I picked up another XP-100 in .223...

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/3990058996

March 05, 2021, 07:17 PM
Hoser
I picked up another XP-100 in .223...
I have a XP-100 in .221 (original), a Striker (and a couple of rifles) in 20 VT and it/they all shoot pretty good. I also have a .223 barrel for the Striker, and it and the .221 XP never seemed too picky about grip pressure with either caliber.

Nice week here finally, so I took the new-to-me .223 XP to my range for a bit of testing.

This XP-100 sprays them into 1-3/4" @ 100... unless I put a death grip on it.

Under 1/2" at 100 with a real tight grip pressure using the same handloads. (40 Gr. Nosler BT, New Lapua Brass)

Even though the heavy grip makes the gun shake a bit(I'm old), it still shot amazingly well. I changed grip pressure back and forth, and always the tight/heavy grip worked much better.

I'd prefer not to choke it to death out on the PD fields so... question:

Is there something in the setup, weight, bipod, rear squeeze pad, etc. I'm missing?

I didn't use a front rest... I have a quite heavy and wide footprint "Saddle" bipod on it, crisp/light 1.4 lb trigger. After the shot with the "regular" grip pressure the gun would bounce to the left but hold elevation well. The firm grip didn't bounce nearly as far left.

I'm wondering if maybe the thumbhole stock on the gun doesn't allow my hand to get behind the gun and arm inline with the barrel. The striker and .221 XP (no thumbhole) let me get the hand and forearm in line with the barrel, so maybe that's the problem. I have a new stock coming in the next few weeks (I hope?) that I won't mind carving on the thumbhole area and see if that might help.

Any other ideas?

Update: Here's a typical set of targets... left side regular hold, right target, firm/heavy grip.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hoser,
March 05, 2021, 07:43 PM
Nitemann
Have you worked up a load for this XP other than the mentioned load or tried different ammo?
March 05, 2021, 09:11 PM
Rooterpig
Did you shoot your reloads or factory loads ?
March 05, 2021, 09:33 PM
Gary T
Hoser, you've got some really nice guns that should serve you well. I also like to hunt prairie dogs. I usually go on 2 hunts every spring/summer. I built a 221 Fireball rifle so I could take guests on pd hunts who don't own a pd hunting gun. Currently I'm building a 20 VT on a Howa Mini Action. What are your favorite 20 VT loads?

I've not noticed any significant changes in accuracy w/ my XP's or Striker by changing the grip pressure. For shooting from the bench and pd hunting, i use a tilting Harris-type bipod in front and a triangular shaped sand bag under the hand grip. I "move" the gun horizontally using the rotating shooting bench. Vertical adjustments are made by simply moving the rear sand bag to the front or to the rear. This enables me to get on target much quicker. I bought the rear sand bag from Midway for $10 or so. Keep us updated.

Good luck and good hunting.
March 06, 2021, 12:09 AM
Hoser
quote:
Originally posted by Nitemann:
Have you worked up a load for this XP other than the mentioned load or tried different ammo?

--- Not yet. Just loaded these for this quick test.

I loaded up 40 rnds.

New Lapua brass, neck sized and trimmed only.
40 Gr. H Vmax
22.0 RL 7
CCI 400 Primers
2.260 OAL

Also shot 2 groups of Fiocchi 40 Gr Vmax factory. Just under one inch with a tight hold on the pistol.

I have usually used 8208 XBR for the most accurate loads from my heavy 24" AR, and may work up that too for this pistol. I've lots of 8208 and not much RL7. Also have plenty of Benchmark, H4895 and H4198 and maybe a l-1/2 lb of Varget.

It (the XP) is plenty accurate with the RL7 though. More accurate than the Striker with the .223 barrel. ---

quote:
Originally posted by Rooterpig:
Did you shoot your reloads or factory loads ?

--- Both... ---

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gary T:
Hoser, you've got some really nice guns that should serve you well. I also like to hunt prairie dogs. I usually go on 2 hunts every spring/summer. I built a 221 Fireball rifle so I could take guests on pd hunts who don't own a pd hunting gun. Currently I'm building a 20 VT on a Howa Mini Action. What are your favorite 20 VT loads?

--- 20 VT best for my Striker (16") and Savage rifle (20"):
Lake City Brass, annealed, sized, trimmed and reamed then neck sized(I ream the inside of the neck instead of turning the neck.)
18.2 RL7 with 32 Vmax
or
17.8 RL7 with 39 SBK
1.845 OAL
Crazy fun and accurate little cartridge. About 250 yds is the limit for me w/20VT and the scope I have on it. ---

I've not noticed any significant changes in accuracy w/ my XP's or Striker by changing the grip pressure. For shooting from the bench and pd hunting, i use a tilting Harris-type bipod in front and a triangular shaped sand bag under the hand grip. I "move" the gun horizontally using the rotating shooting bench. Vertical adjustments are made by simply moving the rear sand bag to the front or to the rear. This enables me to get on target much quicker. I bought the rear sand bag from Midway for $10 or so. Keep us updated.

--- I have both a Harris and a Saddle bipod. The saddle pod places the centerline of the top of the legs higher to the bore. Very wide stance... about twice as wide and heavy as the Harris.

I have a 2-person bench mounted on my quad trailer. Tow the quad to our camping spot. Unload the quad, hook up the trailer and off we go. We always unhook the trailer and extend a couple of trailer jacks before shooting. Real stable and no worries about shooting from a "motor vehicle" which we were questioned about one time.

From mid June til Mid October we usually go out every other or third week. Extended family land and a small lease only a few hours away.

Main rifle I use is a real heavy Black Rain 24" AR in .204 w/a Jard set trigger. Second is the Striker in 20VT. One of my sons is the long range guy with his 22-250 and 6mmBR.

After August we don't usually take shots under 300 yds, so we get lots of shooting but not a lot of killing. FYI, we also use suppressors almost exclusively. This new XP barrel isn't threaded, but my Striker 20VT is, and no more yelling when we're not shooting. I suspect this XP will be the new favorite once I get it threaded.

I've an extra 20" Savage 20VT barrel that I might have fitted to this XP, or I might unload it and instead finish the 20VT AR project I have going. I had the barrel made up by a fantastic local machinist.

Stay safe and best regards,

Hose

---
March 06, 2021, 12:16 AM
Hoser
Also....

This thing (XP) will toss brass into the next county. It ejects so hard that it was dinging up the mouth of my fancy Lapua brass.

Not sure how much to take off the ejector spring, but I'm going to do it before the next outing ... maybe this Sunday.

I'll post some picts of the set-up and targets when I get them off this phone at the office on Monday.
March 06, 2021, 12:20 PM
WV Hitman
One thing that's always helped me control shaking (from being ancient) is to put my left thumb between my right thumb and the body of the XP on center grips. That stops about all movement of my hands. I jam it in pretty tight. I don't do it on anything more than .25 cal. because you'll get a big thump on the left thumb on the big boys.
My 2 .22-250 XPs get around 1/4-1/2" with 40 BTs and AA 2015 powder. My .223 Contender gets the same groups with 40BTs and H 322.
March 06, 2021, 08:39 PM
alte jaeger
quote:
Originally posted by Hoser:
Also....

This thing (XP) will toss brass into the next county. It ejects so hard that it was dinging up the mouth of my fancy Lapua brass.

Not sure how much to take off the ejector spring, but I'm going to do it before the next outing ... maybe this Sunday.

I'll post some picts of the set-up and targets when I get them off this phone at the office on Monday.

HOSER: Would appreciagte youfr e.maling me a note about your p.dog hunting. Being from
Crete (SE Lincoln) I have a few questions about your P.Dog hunting. My e.mail address is Altejaeger@aol.com. Many thanks, Duane

Request permission. Thank you.
March 06, 2021, 08:46 PM
Hoser
quote:
Originally posted by alte jaeger:
quote:
Also....

HOSER: Would appreciagte youfr e.maling me a note about your p.dog hunting. Being from
Crete (SE Lincoln) I have a few questions about your P.Dog hunting. My e.mail address is Altejaeger@aol.com. Many thanks, Duane

Message sent.
March 06, 2021, 10:21 PM
Hoser
quote:
Originally posted by WV Hitman:
One thing that's always helped me control shaking (from being ancient) is to put my left thumb between my right thumb and the body of the XP on center grips. That stops about all movement of my hands. I jam it in pretty tight. I don't do it on anything more than .25 cal. because you'll get a big thump on the left thumb on the big boys.
My 2 .22-250 XPs get around 1/4-1/2" with 40 BTs and AA 2015 powder. My .223 Contender gets the same groups with 40BTs and H 322.

I use my left hand to fine tune the elevation with the squeeze bag under the pistol grip, so I don't think I can get my left thumb up to where it would need to go... also the thumbhole stock is kinda tight around my grip hand thumb and not sure I could get that thumb out far enough to tuck the left one in there.

Thanks though!

March 07, 2021, 10:23 AM
schoolbus
quote:
Also....

I've removed the ejector spring from my XPs so I don't have to chase brass. I just "dump" the spent case beside me by rolling the gun clockwise. However, I'm NOT using a bipod!

Gordon
March 11, 2021, 04:27 PM
Hoser
quote:
Originally posted by schoolbus:

I've removed the ejector spring from my XPs so I don't have to chase brass. I just "dump" the spent case beside me by rolling the gun clockwise. However, I'm NOT using a bipod!

Gordon

I fiddled with the ejector spring a few times and now it just pops empties out and drops next to the gun.