Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22ppc chamber questions Login/Join 

posted
I ‘m preparing for a new build. Always wanted a 22 PPC and now I’m going to do something about it, however I don’t want to deal with neck turning. This build is for a Contender pistol and I know this post is probably in the wrong place but I would think there a lot more of you with 22 PPC experience here with the bolt guns than there is in the break action forum.

I have ordered a Redding bushing dye and Lapua 220 Russian brass, when they arrive I will neck the 220 brass up and seat a .224 bullet to get an exact neck measurement. Then I can specify the chamber neck size and free bore with MGM. This will be no standard PPC chamber so I need to get the "no turn" neck dimensions right. The no turn neck is a standard chamber for EABCO, but they were stingy with info and grumpy and MGM wasn't sure about the no turn thing.

My questions are;

#1 How much larger should the chamber neck measurement be than the brass neck with a seated bullet?
#2 How many thousandths smaller than fired brass should the Redding neck bushing be for proper neck tension?

Posts: 25 | Location: Colorado | Registered: September 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Are you using a G2 Contender? MGM website says Encore and G2 only for the 22PPC. You probably need more info on the chamber than just the neck. Lapua brass is a little thicker at the case head. It works fine in 2 of my factory 22ppc chambers but I have one that is a custom chamber and I have to use Norma or Sako brass to close the bolt.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yes it will be used in my G-2.

And it's an interesting point about the case head diameter. When the brass and dye get here I'll see if i can get Scott to send me a reamer specs. Without the Brass or a seated bullet I'm flying blind. I may may then by the end of the week

Any of your PPCs in a pistol length barrel?

Posts: 25 | Location: Colorado | Registered: September 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
I have custom 15" XP's in 22 and 6 ppc.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Do you have a standard chamder that requires neck turning or a no turn chamder? And do you use bushing dies?

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
It's no turn neck, I bought it used and the previous owner had no idea for the chamber/neck as he had picked it up at an auction. I use standard Redding dies and they work fine. My 2 rifles , sako and ruger are both what they call Sako USA chambers. I use the same dies for all 3 just no Lapua in the XP.

posted Hide Post
I built a no-turn neck .22 PPC for a silhouette shooter a few years back. With gold box Lapua .220 Russian brass. the neck was .256"

-Mike

Posts: 2292 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mike.

My brass should be here Tuesday, then I will seat a bullet and take some measurements. From what I read it around .255" so the .256" sounds good, I will know Tuesday what this batch of brass actually is.

Now for another question, what was the neck measurement of your chamber? Was it .258"?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by varmint pistol:
Mike.

My brass should be here Tuesday, then I will seat a bullet and take some measurements. From what I read it around .255" so the .256" sounds good, I will know Tuesday what this batch of brass actually is.

Now for another question, what was the neck measurement of your chamber? Was it .258"?

It was a .258" neck in the chamber. Keep in mind that was with the older Lapua gold box brass. Should be close to what you have read (.255/.256) The only way to be sure is to measure some once you get them. Sounds like you are on it though thumbup

-Mike

Posts: 2292 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this post, it's got me thinking about shooting my 22ppc (top pic) that's been neglected for way too long and my newly acquired 6ppc (bottom pic). FYI a loaded round of 22ppc no turned neck in norma brass measures .250.

posted Hide Post
Your new 220 Russian brass will run about .255-256" loaded diameter. With that said you will need a .253" or .254 bushing but an extra .001" less may work even better giving you about .003" tension. The thing is you will not know what bullet tension works best till you try it out in your barrel chamber. I'd recommend a chamber neck diameter clearance of at least 8 thousandths. Most no turn guys do 8 thousandths. So adding .008" to your .256" loaded diameter will necessitate a neck chamber diameter of .264". Discuss the options with your smith. Brass flows forward with each firing and necks will thicken with each firing so a little loose is better since you don't want to neck turn. I would go with a 15 inch barrel and a 9 twist. I would also recommend nothing heavier than a 52-55g bullet. As you go heavier the slower powder required to propel the heavies becomes more muzzle blast and less efficient in that 15 inch barrel! My personal experience having done several XP 100 pistols in this caliber.

Posts: 53 | Location: Arizona | Registered: May 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I received my brass and had a chance to work with it yesterday. After running the Redding expander through it, my neck OD is .252”. With a seated bullet the neck OD is .253”, smaller than expected. That leaves me with only .001” neck tension, that light. The numbers makes sense because the expander measures .223” and the bullet is .224” So I ordered a neck bushing in .252” to start with, only time will tell if I need more neck tension.

To L Cazador post.

My plan has always been to stay with the 50 to 53g bullets and faster powders, just not enough barrel to get any speed from the heavier stuff so why bother. I do have a couple questions though. How much brass flow will a PPC produce? .008” seems a bit loose. And, why a 9 twist with 50 to 53g bullets? I was thinking 10, with faster powder a 9 will produce more pressure. Your thoughts

I use an RCBS competition seater and after seating a couple I checked the rum-out. I'm impressed with the new Lapua, I have less than a .001” run-out by my Sinclair gauge. That is the best I have ever had on anything!!!! I may go with a long free bore, I don’t think I will need all the neck to keep the bullet straight in the throat with runout of only .001. that will give bit more case capacity and keep pressures down. Your thoughts

This message has been edited. Last edited by: varmint pistol,

posted Hide Post
Very nice bolt guns Nitemann !!!!!!

posted Hide Post
How are you measuring your loaded bullet diameter? With a micrometer or a caliper? When I say .008" neck diameter clearance, that is actually .004 per side of clearace. My brass for my .262" diameter chamber is .259" that's a neck clearance of .003" divided by two gives a neck clearance of .015" or 1 1/2 thousands per side. For a no turn you need at least .004" per side in case you wind up with cases that are a bit thicker.

Posts: 53 | Location: Arizona | Registered: May 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post