Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little practice from field positions today Login/Join 

Picture of Sawcarver
posted
This afternoon I set up some steel for the winter and did some practice. Had the 7-300 mags, 20BR and 6TCU out.

Posts: 961 | Location: Howell MI | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Can you tell me a little about the tripod setup you have pictured?

Looks interesting, and possibly more compact than a bog-pod with PSR top.

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Good for you buddy! Hopefully the practice pays off later this winter and again in June

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawcarver
posted Hide Post
Freeze my tripod is a vanguard camera tripod, Manfrotto 055 ball head with a CLAW clamp on top. The claw is similar to the hog/pig saddle, it just has two tension screws rather than one.

I find it is considerably more stable and folds up smaller than BOG gear with the PSR top. Its Also heavier, my tripod is not carbon fiber that would reduce weight but it works well for me. I sold my BOG gear about a year and a half ago. My set up folds up to a little bigger in diameter than the bog tripod but shorter and you dont have to figure out where the top goes.

Posts: 961 | Location: Howell MI | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawcarver
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
Good for you buddy! Hopefully the practice pays off later this winter and again in June

Aaron

I had to test the Steel I set out for the winter and was hoping a second coyote would come by!

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Cool.
Distances you practiced at?

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sawcarver:
.... and you dont have to figure out where the top goes.

So true!

Sawcarver,

Thanks for the detailed response.

I'm going to make some assumptions on how it is used:

The "Claw" is clamped to the gun with the tension screws and remains there?

The Claw then attaches to the ball head with a quick mount shoe?

Then crude adjustments are made with the tripod legs, and fine adjustments made via the ball head?

Thanks,
Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Great to see that pistol again Adam. One of the last times I saw it in person you were working the long range dogs with it from the top of the mountain.

Jon

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Iowa Fox,

Posts: 1609 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great setup Congrats!!!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawcarver
posted Hide Post
Freeze you are correct, on your assumptions. The tripod legs will go almost flat for prone and all the way to standing if you want to.

Ernie, I had steel at 250, 320, 400, 475 and 600, bouncing between them. Too many conveyors in my way to go farther. The wind was from 5-15mph.

Jon that gun sure likes shooting a long ways away

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Looks like it was a great day for sure!
Fun distances

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What’s all the white stuff on the ground ……… you must be at the beach.

Posts: 467 | Location: Central east coast Florida.  | Registered: November 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
I love that rig....

CW
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!

www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -

Posts: 1227 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Great looking rig! like your tripod setup as well.

Posts: 761 | Location: Idaho | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post