Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lone Eagle Login/Join 

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted
Anybody shooting a Lone Eagle these days? I’ve never had one of these and saw one on the auction site that caught my eye. Seems like a cool design, I just wonder how the trigger is on them. I wish the forend was a little longer/wider.

Chris

Posts: 695 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Had one years ago, thus my screen name. I had the first version with the shorter front end, if ever get another would want the second version. The second has a longer front end that actually covers the cocking lever. Found it to be heavy and ugly but shot well. Werent a lot of 7-08's at the time, much prefer an Encore these days.

Posts: 124 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sawfish
posted Hide Post
Extremely accurate with great ergonomics. Not the best trigger, but you can get used to it. Pretty much indestructible. The rotary breech does not have the camming power of a bolt action, so the use of FL sized brass is a good idea. The manufacturer did not recommend the use of reloaded ammunition, but it is very doable. I have owned one for some years, and have carried it as a spare on a number of hunts. More of a tool than a gun, but very effective. I like it.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 3510 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of RICHP
posted Hide Post
Warning! Do not dry fire.

---------------
love those .41 mags.

Posts: 191 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: November 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have three, all with long fore end.
First one a 223 I bought from the father of a coworker. Very accurate, I like the ergonomics.
Second is a 7-08 that I must admit I have never fired it. I do think it would be the best of the three for deer and hog hunting.
Last one is a 358 Winchester, not the choice to go out plinking but I have carried while hog hunt but none showed up.
If I saw another at a reasonable price I would buy it.

Mark

Posts: 299 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the replies. I’m going to read up as much as I can on these, they are very interesting

Chris

Posts: 695 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Knucklehead 61
posted Hide Post
I've owned an early one for years, bought it new. It's in 308 Win and doesn't get a lot of use any longer as, getting older, I have developed a preference for lighter recoil.
Anyway, fun to shoot and accurate. As stated before, the ejector is pretty weak. Take a cleaning rod along to remove the occasional failure to eject. And do not dryfire! Parts are rare and dry firing can break the firing pin. You will want a muzzle brake in heavier calibers.
Early ones were built in Maine by Ordinance Dynamics for Magnum Research and labeled SSP-91, later came the Lone Eagle. Much later, not from Magnum Research, came the Competitor. I'm typing from memory since my notes aren't handy at the moment.
Neat pistols, I like mine. Good Luck. Smile

Update, I've located most of my notes and have a few corrections. First, Originally built as the SSP 86 by Ordinance Technology in Maine, then came the SSP 89, an update, then the SSP 91 and the sale to Magnum Research. The Lone Eagle name change followed. The design was sold in the late '90's to Al Straitiff, one of the original developers who then sold a version called the Competitor. Al passed a few years ago and the Competitor is currently out of production.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Knucklehead 61,

Posts: 94 | Location: south of the piney woods | Registered: December 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post