Specialty Pistols
Lone Eagle

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/3820001796

April 06, 2020, 02:02 PM
Predator_huntin
Lone Eagle
Anybody shooting a Lone Eagle these days? I’ve never had one of these and saw one on the auction site that caught my eye. Seems like a cool design, I just wonder how the trigger is on them. I wish the forend was a little longer/wider.

Chris
April 06, 2020, 03:14 PM
Lonegle57
Had one years ago, thus my screen name. I had the first version with the shorter front end, if ever get another would want the second version. The second has a longer front end that actually covers the cocking lever. Found it to be heavy and ugly but shot well. Werent a lot of 7-08's at the time, much prefer an Encore these days.
April 06, 2020, 06:18 PM
Sawfish
Extremely accurate with great ergonomics. Not the best trigger, but you can get used to it. Pretty much indestructible. The rotary breech does not have the camming power of a bolt action, so the use of FL sized brass is a good idea. The manufacturer did not recommend the use of reloaded ammunition, but it is very doable. I have owned one for some years, and have carried it as a spare on a number of hunts. More of a tool than a gun, but very effective. I like it.

------------------------------
Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
NRA Patron Member, FTRA Member;
Life Member SCI, NAHH, RMEF, and NSRPA; HHI Member #7108, Member CBA, NSSF

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many good books, or too much ammunition."
Rudyard Kipling
April 06, 2020, 06:22 PM
RICHP
Warning! Do not dry fire.

---------------
love those .41 mags.
April 06, 2020, 10:41 PM
MClark
I have three, all with long fore end.
First one a 223 I bought from the father of a coworker. Very accurate, I like the ergonomics.
Second is a 7-08 that I must admit I have never fired it. I do think it would be the best of the three for deer and hog hunting.
Last one is a 358 Winchester, not the choice to go out plinking but I have carried while hog hunt but none showed up.
If I saw another at a reasonable price I would buy it.

Mark
April 08, 2020, 05:33 AM
Predator_huntin
Thanks guys for the replies. I’m going to read up as much as I can on these, they are very interesting

Chris
April 10, 2020, 11:52 AM
Knucklehead 61
I've owned an early one for years, bought it new. It's in 308 Win and doesn't get a lot of use any longer as, getting older, I have developed a preference for lighter recoil.
Anyway, fun to shoot and accurate. As stated before, the ejector is pretty weak. Take a cleaning rod along to remove the occasional failure to eject. And do not dryfire! Parts are rare and dry firing can break the firing pin. You will want a muzzle brake in heavier calibers.
Early ones were built in Maine by Ordinance Dynamics for Magnum Research and labeled SSP-91, later came the Lone Eagle. Much later, not from Magnum Research, came the Competitor. I'm typing from memory since my notes aren't handy at the moment.
Neat pistols, I like mine. Good Luck. Smile

Update, I've located most of my notes and have a few corrections. First, Originally built as the SSP 86 by Ordinance Technology in Maine, then came the SSP 89, an update, then the SSP 91 and the sale to Magnum Research. The Lone Eagle name change followed. The design was sold in the late '90's to Al Straitiff, one of the original developers who then sold a version called the Competitor. Al passed a few years ago and the Competitor is currently out of production.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Knucklehead 61,