Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rear Tang Swivel on McMillian Stock. Login/Join 

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted
I have seen several pictures of McMillian XP stocks that had the rear sling swivel stud located on the back of the stock below the tang area instead of the bottom of the grip. Have an of you tried this? If so what are the pros and cons?

Posts: 944 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've always wondered why people put them in the bottom of the grip. I rest my guns on the grip so I want that to be as consistent as possible.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
I've never used a sling to carry my XP so see no need to have one. Has always been awkward to me. The one for the bi-pod is fine but don't hardly use it anymore either. There's not a lot of material in rear of the stock which needs room for the trigger and safety which makes the walls fairly thin in the rear. This could cause cracks or breaks as well.

Just my 2cents

Rick

Posts: 3534 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I agree....I don't like sling studs on the bottom of the grip.

My thoughts on the stud-out-the-back question........ It will eventually fail. If it sits in the safe, on top of a bench, or for photo ops only - it will last forever. If you use it on a hunt and literally carry the gun "slung" for any length of time, IT WILL FAIL. I've carried an XP by sling on antelope, elk, and muley hunts and used them - hard. It requires a strong and solid anchor point. An expensive hunt is no place for a sling stud to fail.

Here's the thing, a McMillan XP center grip stock is very trim and compact; there's not a lot of extra material - anywhere. Plus, the very rearward portion of the McMillan stock is quite narrow and thin. This area is in no way designed or intended to support the pressures from a sling. Additionally, this would be placing a sling anchor point directly under the rear tang bedding. This cannot be considered a good idea. One more thing......In my eyes a sling stud poking out the back of the stock is ugly. Just plain ugly.

There is a better solution. I offer this option on my builds and its what I use on my personal hunting XP's. Flush cups. Welcome to 2020, not 1987. McMillan doesn't install flush cups in XP stocks that I'm aware of.....probably because they haven't had the request for them as of yet. Flush cups are super strong, reliable, and offer an "invisible" and non-protruding profile. I install them in the base of the grip and in front of the trigger guard to forearm juncture. Full rotation and limited rotation types available. Looks great, performs great. No downside.

Pics available.

My $0.02

SR

Posts: 1106 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post