Specialty Pistols
Bolt Pistol Advice

This topic can be found at:
https://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3826077864/m/3750092496

May 16, 2019, 11:13 PM
Predator_huntin
Bolt Pistol Advice
Good evening gents, I have a question for you seeking advice. After being a TC shooter for 25 years or so, I want to dive into the bolt pistol specialty world. A couple months ago I dipped my toe in the arena with a Savage Striker, but I did not like the bulky center grip of it and the trigger was horrible. So it went to a new home and I’m in the thought process of building my own rear grip. I want my first one to be chambered in .223 and I plan for its intended uses to be target benchrest shooting and varmint hunting. I will be putting a Vortex Viper HS-T riflescope on top of it...I’ve shot riflescopes on some of my TC’s for quite a while and I really like that setup. As I’ve read and seen on the forums here it is perfectly legal to get a rifle, keep the barrel length over 16” and keep the overall length over 26” and it can be shot with no stock on it and still be a legal rifle. So as I see it my two options are:

A. Pick up a rifle of choice, have the barrel cut to 16.5” and pick up either a chassis system or a Choate Varminter stock.

or

B. Pick up a virgin receiver, obtain manufacturer paperwork stating it was never a rifle, send to gunsmith and have barrel installed (most likely in the 13” length range), add the chassis or other pistol grip type stock to it (not a “buttstock”, but I think you know what I mean).

Now to me option A seems to be slightly quicker and cheaper option to get shooting, where option B would allow the build to be done exactly how I wanted each part. At first I worried that a 16.5” barreled bolt action pistol would be to clumsy feeling, then I reasoned with myself in the TC world how I’ve shot 13-14” TC barrels and also shot some 16.5” as a pistol and never really noticed the difference between the two different lengths. Where I seek advice from you guys is this, will an extra 2.5” to 3.5” of Barrel length really make a difference in the overall feel/size of the gun? Would anyone on here possibly have pics of two pistol setups, one with a shorter ~13” barrel next to one with a ~16.5” barrel for me to see a size comparison?

If the bolt pistol world is anything like the TC world, I’m sure it will be an addiction and this wouldn’t be my only bolt pistol. Right now I am leaning towards doing option A, to see how much I like the bolt specialty pistol world as a test bed. If it proves to be something I really do like, the next one could be the virgin action build in a different caliber. Is this a bad idea? What are the suggestions of the members here? Thanks in advance!

Chris
May 16, 2019, 11:25 PM
Hoggin
I’d just do the virgin action. They are cheap enough and then you can just fit a quality barrel and be done.
May 17, 2019, 07:42 AM
Ernie
B

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
May 17, 2019, 12:09 PM
coffee cup
Legality issues dictate that an undesignated, bare action be the foundation, if using a rifle action. 700SA Stainless .Single shot actions are about $400 from many sources. Or just buy an XP to convert. If you are interested in a chassis for a 700SA, contact me.
May 17, 2019, 01:32 PM
Predator_huntin
quote:
Originally posted by coffee cup:
Legality issues dictate that an undesignated, bare action be the foundation, if using a rifle action. 700SA Stainless .Single shot actions are about $400 from many sources. Or just buy an XP to convert. If you are interested in a chassis for a 700SA, contact me.

I was under the impression that if an existing rifle was kept to an overall length greater than 26” and the barrel length was longer than 16”, then it was still legally a rifle wether or not it had a buttstock attached. Am I correct in this?

If going with a barrel less than 16” (and therefore an overall length less than 26”), then yes you must start with a virgin documented action.

Chris
May 17, 2019, 01:36 PM
Predator_huntin
Hoggin & Ernie... I do appreciate y’alls replies. The wealth of knowledge I’ve gained just from reading all your posts on here is unmeasurable!

I’m perhaps thinking now about a Savage Striker in 223 (if I could find one) and convert it to rear grip with a 7 fingers chassis. Those chassis are still available and in production right? I love the looks of those I’ve seen on here in pics

Chris
May 17, 2019, 01:39 PM
Ernie
quote:
Originally posted by Predator_huntin:
Hoggin & Ernie... I do appreciate y’alls replies. The wealth of knowledge I’ve gained just from reading all your posts on here is unmeasurable!

I’m perhaps thinking now about a Savage Striker in 223 (if I could find one) and convert it to rear grip with a 7 fingers chassis. Those chassis are still available and in production right? I love the looks of those I’ve seen on here in pics

You are welcome.
We are pleased to enable...I mean help at any time.

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
May 17, 2019, 04:05 PM
Nor Cal Mikie
quote:
I was under the impression that if an existing rifle was kept to an overall length greater than 26” and the barrel length was longer than 16”, then it was still legally a rifle weather or not it had a butt stock attached. Am I correct in this?

You are correct. No matter what it looks like, it's STILL a rifle according to BATF. Stick to those measurements and you're good to go.
May 17, 2019, 04:13 PM
Ernie
Predator huntin,
Did you get my email response?

WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22
May 17, 2019, 04:55 PM
Predator_huntin
quote:
Originally posted by Ernie:
Predator huntin,
Did you get my email response?

I did, just sent you a reply. Thanks!

Chris
May 17, 2019, 09:38 PM
tinkerer
Shameless plug.

Could I interest you in a Striker pak?

Custom rosewood laminate stocked 22-250 in 17" HV barrel with varmint scope, with a 17" standard 243, and a 15" Striker 308, all in CM.

Also has a customized Striker hunting stock. And bipod, sling studs.

All this in a hard case. It was sold, never heard from buyer again, so its back up.

Contact me for pics.

Shameless plug over.

Larry
Tinkerer
May 17, 2019, 10:50 PM
Predator_huntin
Tinkerer,

I just sent an email to the link on your public profile here

Thanks,
Chris

Chris
May 30, 2019, 10:30 PM
PRR1957
Check out website like Gunbroker.com or any of the other online auctions for eather a XP 100 to convert or I've seen XP 100R, rear grip for sale in .223.

Peter Resetz
July 12, 2019, 02:56 PM
blueavenger
the striker you gave up could have been changed to rear grip, which enables a way better trigger and still retains your handgun status