Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new builds? Login/Join 

posted
Any new builds happening? I just chambered a new barrel for my 7mm Dakota. Its a 17" brux 8.5t with a holland brake. Need to etch and bead blast it. Maybe shoot it tomorrow morning once I drop off the kiddos at school.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Building 2 a week.....sadly not for me tho....

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Chris/Hoggin has a striker of mine that started as a .223 will be a .204 Ruger.

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of semperfi
posted Hide Post
Chris is building me a 250 savage AI.

SemperFi

veteran USMC
NRA life member
NAHC life member

Posts: 803 | Location: mn | Registered: October 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It is nice to see that we have some projects coming together.
Things have been a little quiet lately. Not much to read about.

Bob R

Posts: 331 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of indianamoon
posted Hide Post

Found myself with this pile of pieces/parts and a spare set of benchrest 222RM dies, so this was the result:

Now gotta wait for the snow to melt and my ankle to heal from my Christmas present to myself.....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: indianamoon,

Posts: 909 | Location: Indianer | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
6 PPC Bench gun in the works. Hopefully finished soon. I will post pictures when its done. The teaser photos have me drooling.

Biggest caliber is 7 (although its a Dakota) might build something in .30 cal. Any suggestions?

Derek >>>--------->

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arrowflinger:
6 PPC Bench gun in the works. Hopefully finished soon. I will post pictures when its done. The teaser photos have me drooling.

Biggest caliber is 7 (although its a Dakota) might build something in .30 cal. Any suggestions?

Derek >>>--------->

30 and 33 nosler have some good followings. I ran a 33 nosler on elk this year for crop damage.

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Honestly with a 7 dak I'd go bigger than a 30. I have 300Rum and get 2800fps with 230s but I think a 338 or 375 makes more sense.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You guys can make my wrists hurt just talking.
Some days my 308 Striker with brake is more than enough cry fun!

Posts: 399 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by junebug:
You guys can make my wrists hurt just talking.
Some days my 308 Striker with brake is more than enough cry fun!

Just have to pick a good effective brake.

And the more gas volume you get behind the same bullet the better the brake works.

For example. My 6.5 creed xp recoils more than my 6.5-284 with the same bullet and same build....just more gas.

posted Hide Post
Indianamoon ..... you have got to tell the story behind the screws……………

Posts: 467 | Location: Central east coast Florida.  | Registered: November 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of indianamoon
posted Hide Post
Walked out onto the driveway xmas morning, right foot hit a patch of ice and went straight forward, sat down on my left ankle, broke it in three places. Will be hiring the snow removal for a while.....

But the pistol's pretty cool.

Posts: 909 | Location: Indianer | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well heck. That’s pretty severe but a least you do have the cool pistol to look at. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Posts: 467 | Location: Central east coast Florida.  | Registered: November 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Shot the 7mm Dakota today. Need to burn up some old ammo I loaded for a gun I no longer have. Shot at steel after getting it on paper. First round connections at 288 and 500. Missed the first at 400, but connected on the second. Who ever painted the 500 yard plate isn't going to be very happy with me because I continued to pound it until there wasn't hardly any paint on it!

Aaron

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I watched the lathe spin today...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoggin:
I watched the lathe spin today...

I would have done that but power was intermittent here. Apparently a pole caught on fire. Maybe tomorrow after work.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
Finished a 6 PPC on a Remington short action last week. Need to fire form some brass for it. Almost done with a .223 on a short action also. Both center grips

Posts: 17 | Location: Montrose, Colorado | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Gator T/C
posted Hide Post
Any pictures of your centergrip on Remington shirt actions? I have done several centergrip on model 7 and Remington long actions both right and left hand.

Brad

------------------------------
Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 7x47(SSK),308 Bellm, .338 SSK Woodswalker (2),358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.243,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA .22LR, .243
XP-700LA .25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper

Posts: 1244 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Any new builds happening?

My current build is a 20 VarTarg using a 16" threaded McGowen barrel, a Howa barreled Mini Action (w/ a 223 barrel) and JTAC Industries Elf Owl stock. The barreled action and stock just came in 10 days ago. Now I'm only waiting on the McGowen barrel. If it stays on schedule it should be her in 2-4 weeks. I also ordered a can for it the first week of November. I'm really hoping the can arrives in time for a May prairie dog hunt, but it will prolly be cutting it close. I've read Howa barrels can be difficult to remove. Keeping my fingers crossed. Cool

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1674 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have some pictures but have not had any luck posting them. The stocks come from Jim Rockwell and he has done a superior job on them for me

Posts: 17 | Location: Montrose, Colorado | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorinorm53:
I have some pictures but have not had any luck posting them. The stocks come from Jim Rockwell and he has done a superior job on them for me

Posting pictures here has to be done through a 3rd party picture host and is a pain.

I have used a bunch of Jim’s stocks. All good stuff.

posted Hide Post
Waiting on a Mcgowan barrel to put together a RemAge 20 Tactical.

Not sure adding a totally new caliber was too smart with a general lack of component availability, but I am holding out hope that 20cal bullets will be at least somewhat obtainable.

At least brass is easy enough to form from a reliable supply.

-Freeze

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Freeze,

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My new build

I went all in on Rimfire
It does bot fit a solid category
I had wanted to build a Rimfire Br pistol, Converting my Anschutz Exemplar
ran into many problems, I could not justify cost of a Calfee XP
So, I build with the parts in the garage
A blast to shoot

DAN

Posts: 743 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Never shot a rail gun. Never been around one either. I'd love a centergrip annie or something like that. Need to save up my pennies.

Aaron

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
Any new builds happening? I just chambered a new barrel for my 7mm Dakota. Its a 17" Brux 8.5t with a Holland brake. Need to etch and bead blast it. Maybe shoot it tomorrow morning once I drop off the kiddos at school.

Aaron

Cool!
What bullet(s) do you plan to use?

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm shooting up 180 hybrids. Going to use 195 bergers. Plan on building a cutter like Tubbs nosering cutter.

Aaron

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rickiesrevenge,

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
You mean a Tubb nose.....

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yes, corrected.

Picture of Gator T/C
posted Hide Post
Dan, that 2500X is just begging to be converted into a centergrip pistol. Would make all the Calfee owners jealous and much better option than a Turbo!

Brad

Contender 22LR, 17MachII, 17HMR, .223(SSK), 6mm Gator, 6TCU, 6mmJDJ(Van Horn), 25x47(Coyote), 6.5 JDJ(SSK), 7x47(SSK),308 Bellm, .338 SSK Woodswalker (2),358 Bellm, 375Win, 375 JDJ(SSK), 45/70(SSK), 45/70 (VanHorn), 50-70(SSK)
Encore .243, 7mm–08, 300WM(15-1/4"), 50-90(MGM, 14"), 50–110 (MGM), .50ML(16")
XP-100 .223, .223AI, 6mm204Imp, .243AI, 6BR
XP-7 .223,.243,.300Blackout, .300RSAUM
XP-700SA .22LR, .243
XP-700LA .25/06, .270AI, .300WM,.338 Lapua, .510 Whisper

Posts: 1244 | Location: Gainesville, Fl | Registered: January 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yes
The 2500X is am amazing Action
I thought about it for a second, but in CA it would never get Ok'D by ATF
You have to find an unregistered action to register as a pistol. I believe that to be impossible in CA. Maybe when I retire and move to AZ, I will think about it

DAN

Posts: 743 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm new to the forum and am currently in the parts gathering stage of a .221 fireball 700 NDA rear grip build. Planning on it being a switch barrel with .300 blackout. I've got the action and can't decide on if I want to go single shot or dbm with it. Can't find info on if .221 fireball will be reliable in the .223 aics mags. I'm kinda leaning toward the single shot though as I like how thin you can get the stock. Just looks good. I'm planning on doing a hardwood laminated stock for it.

Posts: 4 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: January 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Good luck getting non-fireball actions to feed from a mag reliably. The 700's remington did for the fireball were different. Probably work fine as a 300BO. Another concern is the case is short enough that the extractor will likely pull the case into the raceway and eject it before you get to the ejection port. Dropping the case and not even pulling it far enough back. To fix this the fireball actions pulled the case up at a 45 so that it didn't go into the raceway. That can be fixed with a sako extractor.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
I'm going to try modifying the ejector to poke out a little more from the bolt face first as there has been success with that. But the biggest worry was the mag feeding. People don't have a problem with the .300 in the .223 mags. It'll be a fun project for skills testing and fun shooting.

Posts: 4 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: January 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My gunsmith, Jon Beanland, just finished up a 30 Nosler for me. Center grip version.

Shoots great so far. Only 8 shots fired but already under 1/2 MOA.

Recoil is virtually non existent with a 5 port MBM brake.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What bullet and powder are you using in that 30 nosler?

Aaron

posted Hide Post
Been thinking on what to make since I have the stocks to do it now.
Perhaps a 257 Bob in the centergrip for deer and a 20ppc rear grip for pd’s and comp?A call to PAC-Nor will be happening soon.
Matt

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
VHA LIFE MEMBER
IBS MEMBER

Posts: 632 | Location: Upstate South Carolina  | Registered: March 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Now that there are 3 heavy bullets in .257" I'm considering building one.

Aaron

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickiesrevenge:
What bullet and powder are you using in that 30 nosler?

Aaron

So far I’ve only shot H1000 and RL26 powders. Bullets have been the Berger 210 VLDH and a Matrix 210 VLD. Both under 1/2 MOA. The RL26 gets me more velocity (~90 fps) than same charge weights of H1000. I’m right at 2700 fps with H1000 and right at 2791 fps with RL26. Still haven’t hit pressure yet. Got a couple more powders (N570 & Mag Pro) to try as well, and one or two more bullets (Matrix 200 VLD, Nosler 210 ABLR, & Hornady 212 ELDX) to try also.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rog (Buttermilk421),

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Time for a new project myself, A stainless Striker in .223 I think.

If anyone knows of an action available I would appreciate a heads up.

Posts: 21 | Location: NW CT | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ole95
posted Hide Post
CT I’m building your gun Cool
SS Striker 16” SS Mcgowen 223. 7 twist heavy taper, 8 x 32 Sightron scope 10 MOA rail
The barrel arrived a week after I had a stroke so I got all the parts including Go no go,Brass, Primers, Powder, bullets and dies. But after 67 days in the hospital all I’ve got done is changed the bolt head hope to have it up and running by end of month

Life's easier when your only average
IHMSA #57528
shoot like your life depends on it

Posts: 532 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoggin:
Building 2 a week.....sadly not for me tho....

Sadly not for me either.

Bruce

Posts: 1091 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ole95 mine will have to wait, going in for cancer surgery, 3rd times a charm

Posts: 21 | Location: NW CT | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Started out 6mm gt.Changed mind. Waiting for 25 creedmoor McGowen remage.Got Rockwell centergrip(awesome)Aron's bedding block,on the way.Green sheen cerakote to match Jim's stock.Bullets,I feel like I'm gonna run out of crickets before they get here.I have plenty 6mm pills, may do a 6mmgt,or two 1-14 and 1-7.Geez,this shx tis addicting.The mailman,fedex,ups and my wife are all trying to figure out where the motorcycle is I'm building.BTW don't get into pellet guns,do you know how many fricking pellets there are to choose from?

Posts: 29 | Location: kansas | Registered: November 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post