Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re barrel Login/Join 

posted
I need some advice. I have an XP 100, it`s time to go from 7BR to 6BR.
I shoot 100 yard benchrest with it. I will be shooting the 67 gr. or so flat base type bullets. Berger, Bart`s, ext.
It will have a 14" to 16" barrel.

What twist rate do I need?
The twist rate charts recommend 13 to 14 twist. But that's are rifles, not short barrel XP`s.
I am needing BR accuracy.

Please, only advice from those whose guns will shoot in the 1`s & 2`s.
Those are the folks that understand what it takes.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Posts: 2 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would go on the faster side. Probably the 13.

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HotRodAl
posted Hide Post
It would depend on what weight bullets you plan on shooting. If you plan on shooting 50-52-53 grain bullets then I think you will like a 1-14 twist, that's the one most 6mm BR shooters use with that weight bullets for bench rest shooting.

Albert
------------------------------
Life Member NRA
Navy Submarine Veteran

Posts: 10764 | Location: Kenova, WV, USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My last XP100 benchrest had a 16 inch 1-14 twist barrel in 6br. I tried every size bullet and could not get it to stabilize. I key-holed a lot of rounds at 100 yards. Talked to several benchrest shooters on several different forums and was pretty much told the same thing. The twist rate for the barrel length was to slow. The 8 or 9 twist rate was recommended. I sold that Xp100 a long while back to a guy who re-barreled it in 6x47 with a 18 inch barrel. Heard he was very happy with the results. My next benchrest Xp100 will be chambered in 6.5x47. I hear and see alot of good results from this round. Good luck. Roger.

Navy Chief. Retired.

Posts: 330 | Location: Jacksonville Florida | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
The twist rate charts recommend 13 to 14 twist. But that's are rifles, not short barrel XP`s.

You will need a faster twist than that suggested for rifles as you won't reach rifle velocity with a pistol length barrel.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience in BR shooting so I'm not questioning your decision, I know it's a different bolt face but was wondering why a 6BR instead of 6PPC?

Posts: 916 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
They are using 13-14t with 21-23" 6ppc and doing just fine. He is talking about going to a bigger case. I'd bet his speeds aren't much if any behind the ppc rifles. I also think it'll stabilize them in a 14t but recommede d the 13 just in case. Going to an 8t is just silly. That 100% will stabilize 105gr old bullets in a 6br with a 14" tube. No way you need anywhere near that twist to stabilize a puny 67gr.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
67 is at the edge of 1/14, so technically 1/13 is better
I have shot 1/14 for 25 years
I prefer 1/14 twist barrels so I shoot 65 Berger column bullets
1/14 are easy to get, I just cut old rifle barrels to make pistol barrels,
use the part in the middle, it has plenty of life
All I shoot is BR

DAN

Posts: 743 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
PS
As long as possible, It does help accuracy
I Would not consider 14 inches

DAN

Posts: 743 | Location: San Jose CA | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Again I'm not a BR shooter but my Hart 1-in-12 twist 6 BR shoots 70 grain bullets at 300 yards into a group smaller than 2 inches. My best group at 300 was 5/8 of an inch. No key-holing either. Just my 2 cents worth.

Posts: 26 | Location: Eastern Wisconsin | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post