Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making an Xp 100 more accurate? Login/Join 

posted
I just picked up an xp 100 varmint special in 223. I am wanting to know what I can do to make this gun more accurate in regards to the trigger and the stock. The trigger is just the factory set up with no aftermarket parts. I read something about a "trigger balance", my question is what are these exactly and do they make a big difference. Also I believe in the past I have read where you can take a 700 trigger and put them on an xp. How does that work or am I miss understanding this set up? What other options do I have that I am not aware of? The stock, it has the brown Remington stock that came on these pistols. It is okay but I want something nicer. I was thinking about going with an hs precision stock. However according to their web sight there has to be some fitting done to the stock, has anyone ever bought an xp stock from them and what all is envolved with this "fitting" process? Mainly what I am looking for is an aluminum bedded block stock, any other recommendations for a good aftermarket stocks? Thanks in advance and I will let you guys know how it goes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 410shooter,

Posts: 311 | Location: Indiana | Registered: October 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Hs has an aluminum bedding block. I am assuming this is a center grip stock. If so the 700 trigger will not work however there are a couple of custom triggers on the market too.
I have one dell Taylor trigger and the rest are stock Remington's . One thing that will increase accuracy is a better barrel you may want to look into that also.
Good luck with your search
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The "fitting" described is usually in the trigger hanger area and barrel channel

Posts: 1363 | Location: Gonzales, LA | Registered: October 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I see rifle in the middle of the paragraph. Is this the XP rifle with the thumbhole stock and air vents on the forend?

Posts: 1609 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
On the factory triggers, most can be adjusted down quite nicely. My current rig is a factory trigger adjusted to about 1.5# and breaks extremely well. The trigger balance was an idea by Remington to act as a counterbalance. I don't run one and have always taken them out.

On "fitting", I'm assuming you are referring to bedding the stock. One of the main things you can do is bed the stock and float the bbl. Bedding ensures a 1 to 1 fit of the action to the stock.

Here's a McMillan bedded for an action......

Posts: 1363 | Location: LAKE CUMBERLAND AREA, KY | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
No it is not one of the true "rifles" they made out of do actions, that was just me typing and not thinking.

It sounds to me like from what I have read so far the majority of people are still just using the stock Remington trigger so I feel more confident about that.

This action has actually already been rebarreled, somebody has taken what I believe to be a 700 barrel and put it on this action. Either way the barrel is a Sporter weight and is a Remington barrel. I know this may not be an upgrade but I still feel this barrel will not limit my accuracy with me shooting the pistol.

Posts: 311 | Location: Indiana | Registered: October 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

LIFE

Picture of tgp
posted Hide Post
The factory triggers can be adjusted quite nicely, I don't know of anyone that uses the counter balancer. There is several nice center grip stocks to choose from, I really like the ones from McMillan and Aaron Alexander, the one from Aaron really looks good and fits great with smaller dia. barrels too.

Glenn

------------------------------
“Evil, unchecked, is the prelude to genocide. - Anonymous”
― Joel C. Rosenberg, The Auschwitz Escape

Posts: 3513 | Location: mississippi delta | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
For me the number one factor in being able to shoot center grip XP's more accurately is replacing the factory zytel stock with an after market stock with a wider forend. I just can never hold the factory stock as steady as I can with any of the aftermarkets. I also have numerous XP's with new Remington 700 take off barrels that have been shortened and re-crowned that shoot very well. The number one issue to remember when/if you replace the factory trigger is that you will no longer be able to have a safety.

2cents

Rick

Posts: 3533 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Amid all the discussion on making an xp more accurate-----I don't see any reference to its existing capability. How does it group at 100yds/meters ? Exceeding that, how accurate does it need to be to satisfy your requirement ?

Posts: 432 | Location: Stone Mtn Ga | Registered: February 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Right now the gun will shoot 1.5 inches at 100yds, I would like for the gun to shoot under an inch at 100yds.

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
You don't mention what your using for optics or sights? Also what kind of rest/shooting set up your using. 1.5" may not be that bad depending on your set up. With load development and some tweeking 1" groups should be achievable with the 223. Pics always help as well.

Rick

Posts: 3533 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 410shooter:
Right now the gun will shoot 1.5 inches at 100yds....

Factory ammo or handloads?

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The 3 xps I have had would do an inch at 100. Of course this was on bags and a Leupold scope set at 8x. I tried off hand at sillywets one time. I did NOT set any records that day!

Posts: 3978 | Location: home | Registered: November 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
410shooter--Don't know where you're located, but you're certainly invited to come to Terre Haute and crunch up and shoot 1/2 scale silhouette with us. Our first match is April 30 at Riley Conservation Club.

Posts: 778 | Location: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: August 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post