Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moa Login/Join 

Picture of Hoggin
posted
I don’t do many of these so I thought it was worth posting.

280AI krieger barrel. 17”.

Posts: 4009 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I have one in a .376 Steyr. Love the round and pistol. Shoots better than I can. I was in the process of sending it back to MOA about the time they were sold to have a .243 barrel installed and get a wrench for changing barrels. Now, I'm trying to find someone to install a .243 barrel on my frame and have it where I can change them out depending on what I hunt. It would mostly be .243 shooting. Is this something you could do?
I'm not real schooled on the different extractors or anything else that would have to be modified to make a .243 work.
If you want you can send me a PM or email or we can visit by phone.
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on another XP because I wanted a .243.
This might be a better option.

MIke

---------------------------------
: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
yup We can re barrel an moa

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hoggin,

Posts: 4009 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Another great looking piece! You are putting out some great stuff!!! Congrats!!!!!

Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
Any GOOD smith can thread and chamber a barrel for a MOA. Correctly fitting the barrel is a little trickier.

Your biggest problem is obtaining the correct height extractor. The Steyer extractor should not work - too short.

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old leghumper:
Any GOOD smith can thread and chamber a barrel for a MOA. Correctly fitting the barrel is a little trickier.

Your biggest problem is obtaining the correct height extractor. The Steyer extractor should not work - too short.

What’s so hard about correctly fitting a barrel to an moa?

Takes a few more steps. Since it has an extractor grove, barrel pin, and the take down tool index.....but it’s no different than any other falling block project. blah

I would say the worst part about them is the fact even with the correct extractor you better carry a cleaning rod for when it fails to extract.

My biggest smithing gripe about them is the variation in threads for the receivers. Had some that were close to 15.5 Tpi and some just over 16....

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
First 3 with factory ammo....I think that will work

posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoggin:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by old leghumper:

Takes a few more steps. Since it has an extractor grove, barrel pin, and the take down tool index.....but it’s no different than any other falling block project. blah

I would say the worst part about them is the fact even with the correct extractor you better carry a cleaning rod for when it fails to extract.

My biggest smithing gripe about them is the variation in threads for the receivers. Had some that were close to 15.5 Tpi and some just over 16....

To start off I worked for MOA for a few years helping build these pistols - read my tagline at the bottom!

I beg to differ on a couple points. First: if the barrel threads in the receiver were 15.5 tpi the barrel would MAYBE thread in half way. Not going to happen because the same tap was used on over 3000 receivers.

Second: extraction problems could be related to incorrect extractor height, cases with very little body taper, too long of a case neck, the chamber my need further polishing, too hot a load, not letting the barrel cool for a few seconds(lower the block but do not try to extract), drop the hammer a second time to loosen the case.

Third: A cleaning rod should not be necessary - use a small screwdriver and pry out from the top.

There is another step to fitting the barrel that you did not mention so I can only assume you did use it.

Blah Blah

May I politely suggest you stay with pistolsmithing - not MOA. munch flag

[QUOTE]

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old leghumper:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by old leghumper:

To start off I worked for MOA for a few years helping build these pistols - read my tagline at the bottom!

I beg to differ on a couple points. First: if the barrel threads in the receiver were 15.5 tpi the barrel would MAYBE thread in half way. Not going to happen because the same tap was used on over 3000 receivers.

Second: extraction problems could be related to incorrect extractor height, cases with very little body taper, too long of a case neck, the chamber my need further polishing, too hot a load, not letting the barrel cool for a few seconds(lower the block but do not try to extract), drop the hammer a second time to loosen the case.

Third: A cleaning rod should not be necessary - use a small screwdriver and pry out from the top.

There is another step to fitting the barrel that you did not mention so I can only assume you did use it.

Blah Blah

May I politely suggest you stay with pistolsmithing - not MOA. munch flag

[QUOTE]

I’d say my background in making highly controlled reactor plant components tells me how to measure threads. Plus this has been confirmed by another well known smith.

Taps to cut threads....that’s awesome. nuts
Even if someone decided to cut receiver threads with a tap....which would never be recommended by anyone worth their salt....no one tap would have lasted through the entire production process.

An extractor should extract anything (except in extreme cases). That is that parts job.

Do you see a problem with how my stuff is shooting? Didn’t think so.

I don’t really care who you worked for. You just said receiver threads were cut with a tap Smile

If you would like to discuss my abilities further I’m about 40 min south of Sundance....I’m not hard to find...almost always in the shop working....O...and we are hiring to help keep up with demand.

You can continue to be a grumpy person and complain about every shooting event we do and everything else. We’re doggin during MOA dates.......you can see me there too...

And by the way. Good job trolling this post and WYSHOT post. Your motives are evident.

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
[quote]You can continue to be a grumpy person and complain about every shooting event we do and everything else. We’re doggin during MOA dates.......you can see me there too...And by the way.

I only complain when you intentionally schedule days conflicting with the MOA match. I know doggin is more popular than a bench match but there is enough room for everyone. Play nice.

Your motives are way more than evident.

----------------------
I am that idiot.

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
You are so completely wrong it’s not even funny.

1. I just shoot wyshot I don’t host it.

2. I close for the week of wyshot...since I use to travel across the country.
Now that I live here I decided to go dogging that week and offer it up to anyone that wants to go for FREE....I use my now local connections to find a great dog town and invite every Handgun shooter.....your even invited.

I don’t care about MOA....MOA has nothing to do with anything I have ever done.

I do field shooting and hunting....not bench matches.....

It’s America. We have freedom of choice.

It’s called my time off....and I’ll do what I want to do.

I don’t know why your so grumpy...I’m 40 miles south of Sundance. Come down after you shoot at MOA and I’ll buy you a beer so you can settle down and take it all in.

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the offer.

----------------------
I am that idiot.

posted Hide Post
quote:
First 3 with factory ammo....I think that will work

I think that will work indeed! Awesome job, wish it was mine. LOL

Posts: 45 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Sweet shooter Chris! Congrats again!!!!

Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post