Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Xp100 glass options.... Login/Join 

Picture of KYODE
posted
Ill post this in this section rather than the optic section, since it pertains strictly to the xp.

Im really strained on my optics choice for my 243 xp in process laugh

Ive had a scope for many months. I thought it was for the xp.

My gosh i typed 10 times what posted. On my phone. Cant repeat it all.

I have a new vortex diamondback 4-12x40 with a/o to go on it. Maybe its not enough scope for an ultimate gun? Its clear.....maybe it will do for a while. Idk

Give me better options please?

Bases, rings....all opinion welcome.

30mm?
1”?
Leupold?
Vortex?
Nikon?
Burris?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KYODE,

------------------------
~Kentucky....there is no place i'd rather be~

Join the NRA

Posts: 9437 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted Hide Post
If it's your once in a lifetime gun, it should be at least a Leupold. A 4.5-14x 50mm objective, 30mm with side focus.

Tim
------------------------------

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

Posts: 6995 | Location: Western NY | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Thanks tim. Im having similar thoughts. Im NOT going to put $1000 into one, but i think maybe i should do better.
Id prefer 40mm thoug i think.
So many things to consider its driving me crazy. Eye relief n such. Some give you an extra inch or so.....
Really like to have several option sugestions.

------------------------

Join the NRA

Posts: 9437 | Location: Northeast Ky. | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have been very satisfied with a Vortex Diamondback HD (4-12x42) that I have mounted on a 22-250 Savage Striker.

This version has side focus, and resettable turrets, and BDC reticle.

I have found the turrets to work pretty well for elevation adjustments, with the scope tracking true and returning to zero consistently.

I would suggest you give the Vortex a chance before you replace it.

-Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Split the difference Leupold has some 4.5x14 with a 44 mm objective ,
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted Hide Post
Trust me Kyle. You can find a Leupold w/o breaking the bank. I found a closeout model for 1/2 price.

Tim

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

Posts: 6995 | Location: Western NY | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Thanks for optional ideas!
may have to use the vortex for a bit, or just wait it out. Depends how much overtime comes in. laugh

Any opinion on splitting the difference a second time lol?......

What about a leup 4-12x40 VX2 with a/o?

------------------------

Join the NRA

rooooogar lover

Picture of magman
posted Hide Post
I guess if you are gonna do that, just go Burris 3-12x.

Tim

NRA PATRIOT Life Member

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
I have a few of those on barrels but pretty sure i want to riflescope this one.

30mm vs 1”.....? Pros cons? Never had a 30mm

------------------------

Join the NRA

posted Hide Post
Why a 40mm vs 50mm?

On a handgun XP, I’d personally go with the larger objective for light transmission. Plus, the scope doesn’t have to sit in a specific location for cheekweld/fitment purposes.

30mm will give more internal adjustment if distance and dialing is on the agenda.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why a 40mm vs 50mm?

50mm just seems really big on a handgun. Ive never had anything other than 40mm on a rifle. scratch head

------------------------

Join the NRA

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Not sure, but i think i seen a LR reticle somewhere....kinda Like a BDC or balistic plex....and A/O.
A 1/2 price closeout is a nice feature to have. laugh

------------------------

Join the NRA

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Check the difference in internal amount of adjustment between 1" and 30mm tubes.
Kind of depends on what you might want to accomplish in this build.
I know it is primarily for bench shooting, so low light capability is not going to be a big or primary issue

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12186 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
Many thanks.
Im not ready yet. I gotta pay for second half of my gunsmithin first lol.

I will find the right deal at the right time, and do the best i can.

More thoughts and personal preferences welcome.

------------------------

Join the NRA

Picture of bowstryder
posted Hide Post
I would Def look for the vx-III over the 2. There is a noticeable dif in quality and clarity. Personal preference is to get the best glass you can afford. That being said go to a big store that carries a lot of glass and look through the ones in your price point.

Now let me play devil''s advocate on my own post. I have 2 black ring vari-x 3 4.5-14x50 (30mm) that I absolutely like to a fault. I bought them used in the 3-400 range and they work amazingly well for older scopes.

Glass is one of those things that can get personal, but you owe it to yourself to get the best scope you can afford and one that fits you needs in the way of power levels, relief, and features.

Posts: 445 | Location: waynesboro, va | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post