Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

XP Bipod Question Login/Join 

posted
I just bought an Anschutz center grip conversion built by Mike Dewey and want to mount a bipod . Which do you XP shooters prefer a sling stud mount Harris or one of the tactical type that the legs lay more forward ? It's a laminated wood stock .
Chris

Posts: 113 | Location: Ellijay GA | Registered: June 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
I used a sling stud mount for the Harris' on several XPs, Contenders, and Encores. All worked OK, but there's one big problem with bipods on handguns. If you have the bipod on hard surfaces-ground, wood, rocks- you'll get a whip of the barrel at the shot making you shoot high.
After several episodes of that I switched to shooting of a regular size backpacks filled with medium weight pillows. I sight in off them. I hunt off them (for 30+ years) and there is no change of point of aim no matter what surface you shoot off of. I hunting with it, i carry a bow hanger, attach it to a tree, hang my backpack off it, and NO change in where my rounds hit. ( I do this if I can't lay on the ground).
The only system better than this is a 3 legged Bog Pod and a handgun PSR rest on it. They're not made any more, but can be found on some gun sites.
I've use these last 2 systems in Alaska, lower 48, and Africa. They are consistent and work extremely well.

Posts: 1847 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
I have installed 3" low profile Pic rails on all of my XP's. Then I bought two Atlas bipods that can be switched from gun to gun in seconds.

Derek

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have an Atlass and Harris Bipods. I prefer the Atlass. I hardly ever use the bipods to actually shoot from. My main use for the bipod is to be able to sit it on the ground. It's easy to pick up and it doesn't have to lay on it's side on the ground. As WV mentioned, the PSR is no longer made. I made 2 prototypes of the PSR and used one recently on a hunt in Wyoming. It worked great. After I got back, I refined it a lot and just recently finished it. I will try it out next week.

This is what I use now.

Posts: 156 | Location: Clarksville, TN | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Some good ideas . My pistol is a 22lr so I won't be hunting with it . Probably 90 percent of the time I will be shooting from a bench . Derek do those rails require milling the stock ?

Posts: 113 | Location: Ellijay GA | Registered: June 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Predator_huntin
posted Hide Post
If you’re just shooting from the bench, definitely use sandbags up front and a small squeeze bag under the rear grip.

Chris

Posts: 683 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: February 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Chris,
I use a variety of methods, depending on the type of hunt. I like to prairie dog hunt. In fact, I hope to be on a prairie dog hunt this time next week. On pd hunts, I use a Harris type BR bipod in front and a small, triangular bag at the rear. To adjust the elevation, I just move the triangular bag to the front or back. On deer hunts, I use a variety of methods, depending on the stand. On stands that have a shooting rail outside a wide window, i us small sandbags. If the stand doesn't have an outside the window rail or a narrow window, I use a combination of things, including backpack. Using a T-Nut, I install a sling pod swivel on all my XP's. Although I don't use a bipod on deer hunts, I like to use a sling to carry the gun. For some reason I'm having problems sharing the actual pics this AM so I'll share the links.

PD hunt using bipod
https://www.flickr.com/gp/136479944@N07/11976s

Sandbags on deer stand
https://www.flickr.com/gp/136479944@N07/198670

Combination on deer hunt
https://www.flickr.com/gp/136479944@N07/DQQW0n

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gary T,

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CChastain:
I just bought an Anschutz center grip conversion built by Mike Dewey and want to mount a bipod . Which do you XP shooters prefer a sling stud mount Harris or one of the tactical type that the legs lay more forward ? It's a laminated wood stock.
Chris

Chris,
You can shoot extremely well with a Harris Bi-pod or a Atlas or a Ckye-Pod...Pick your poison and enjoy!
If you want to go full retard for bench use or fixed position shooting there is always the JOYPOD-X! Big Grin

Start with a Harri BR 6-9 inch bi-pod/notched legs and swivel.
You could also go with a front rest and a rear bag.
Prices range from inexpensive to over a grand, again, get what you want.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12167 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Really appreciate the replies . Ernie I shot this weekend with a front rest and a bag and as long as I was shooting groups it was great . However when shooting 25 bull targets , moving each shot it was hard to keep my p.o.i. consistent . Any suggestions for this?

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CChastain:
Really appreciate the replies . Ernie I shot this weekend with a front rest and a bag and as long as I was shooting groups it was great . However when shooting 25 bull targets , moving each shot it was hard to keep my p.o.i. consistent . Any suggestions for this?

Rebuilding your foundation each time can be frustrating at times, but if you are going to be shooting multiple bulls at the same distance, a joystick rest or bipod can make things easier. That is a pricey option though.
If you are interested in the products I sell, just click on both of the SEB links below.
What is the width of your forend?
A brick rear bag that is filled with heavy sand will help keep your vertical down.
Experiment and see how different grip changes your POI.
Make sure your parallax is properly set as well, as that can be a big issue with POI.

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12167 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
$250 EGW mystic bipod ,kinda ,sorta f class type,not a folder,tilts,ultralight .lot wider stance than harris types.legs slide off quickly.My 7 fingers 7wsm with an NF NX8 is very tippy with a harris.The EGW is 13" wide at the shortest setting ,it doesn't tip.

Posts: 28 | Location: kansas | Registered: November 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Arrowflinger
posted Hide Post
This is what I use.
My typical bench set up is an Atlas Bipod using a leather or nylon rear bag. I have also used this in the field many times including taking a Black Wildebeest at 520 yards.
For most of my hunting, I use the WGear Claw bag over a Carbon tripod. This combo is solid! I used this on almost all of my African animals. Standing. Furthest I took this way was my second Black Wildebeest at around 350 yards. But I would shoot further with confidence. This set up for hunting, in my opinion is hard to beat.

Derek >>>---------->

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area California | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Atlas makes a rail that extends pass the stock a couple of inches the stock needs to be inletted for this rail . Wish I knew how to upload pictures
JW

Posts: 14 | Location: Deltaville | Registered: October 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post