Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitting a stock Login/Join 

posted
I am going to give this a try for the first time. I'll be opening up the barrel channel and chamber area on an old Fajen laminated thumbhole stock that was made for a 221. The action going in is a factory 35 Rem. I have plenty of wood to work with and there will still be plenty there after widening the barrel channel. Then the chamber area needs to be opened up too. The angle of the inletting will change with the 35 barrel and that might be tricky plus the barrel channel is tapered too. Not as easy as a straight bull barrel profile. But I'm overall pretty handy and plan on taking it slow. Any advice on a project like this from the ones that have done it?

Posts: 114 | Location: Ks | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
No expert here but I'll throw out a couple things. Use a guide pin on the front hold down screw, good sharp scrapers, prussian blue, and go slow. Easy to take more off but you can't put it back on.

Posts: 1614 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
the right tools for the barrel channel make it easier if your going to do more then one.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Kasson MN | Registered: August 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Barrel channel scraper tool is pretty cheap thru brownells

Posts: 4011 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Way easier then wood dowels and sandpaper!

Posts: 2086 | Location: Kasson MN | Registered: August 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
X2 on the channel scraper, it makes it much easier!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Or if you're real good, a router and a dremel tool. REAL GOOD. One slip and its all gone.

Larry

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies and tips. After thinking this over a bit I've decided not to mess up the old Fajen stock. It will more than likely get a 221 set in it someday and it is a nice fit on my other actions. Instead I am going to leave this to the professionals and will be sending it off to Norman at Royal Arms Gunstocks for a new laminated stock. I like his since they look pretty close to the custom shop stock I have. He's a great guy to talk to and the bonus is his turn around time is only a few weeks. Not much longer than it would take me to mess up a perfectly good stock!!!

Posts: 114 | Location: Ks | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XPjeff:
Thanks for the replies and tips. After thinking this over a bit I've decided not to mess up the old Fajen stock. It will more than likely get a 221 set in it someday and it is a nice fit on my other actions. Instead I am going to leave this to the professionals and will be sending it off to Norman at Royal Arms Gunstocks for a new laminated stock. I like his since they look pretty close to the custom shop stock I have. He's a great guy to talk to and the bonus is his turn around time is only a few weeks. Not much longer than it would take me to mess up a perfectly good stock!!!

Wise decision. The old Fajens will never be again and you will be happy with Norm. He will do laminate or solid wood for the same price. I'd really like to see him expand his line of specialty pistol stocks. I tried about a year ago but he didn't want to nibble on that hook.

Posts: 1614 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Shaggy357
posted Hide Post
I just did one stock and have another in the works. The barrel channel scraper and a set of shaped chisels helped a lot. My write up is here: http://specialtypistols.infopo...6077864/m/2060014186

It feels really good to do some shooting with a stock I had shaped and finished myself.

Steve Smile
---------------------------------
"Life is a play before an audience of one. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"

Posts: 1933 | Location: Washington  | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I can see the satisfaction of doing things yourself but the more I thought about it , the more I wanted to keep the Fajen unaltered. That was the main reason for the change of mind. Second was not wanting to mess up a nice stock! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Well , I got the action sent out to Norman at Royal Arms so in 3-4 weeks it should be back in my hands. I will need to finish it first but will put some pictures up when its done. I went with the apache gold laminate. All of mine are pretty plain but this one will definately be a bright one!