Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Xp 100 caliber Login/Join 

posted
Hey guys

I've decided to build a xp100. I'm having a hard time picking out what to chamber it in. I initially thought of a 7 mm Dakota. I want something to hunt with as well as have fun at my 1000 yard range. Recoil doesn't bother me but that being said I want to enjoy shooting it. I've considered 7 saum, 7 wsm, 7 Dakota, 280 ai, and 6.5x284. I own an Xp in 284 and love it. Probably my favorite caliber. I'm open to other suggestions but don't think I want less than 6.5x284. Any thoughts. Thanks

Posts: 28 | Location: Bandera, Tx | Registered: November 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What do you want to hunt?

I am a big fan of the 7mm Dakota. Burned up a few barrels shooting them. Might look at the cost of brass and dies before you go down that road. NOT cheap! With a good brake like a holland radial the dakota is a pussycat. If you're gonna really consider the dak you should also look at the 7-300win mag aka 7mm practical. That case has the exact same capacity as the dakota but brass is inexpensive and plentiful in comparison. You could use a bushing style sizer with the correct bushing for a 7mm and I've heard of guys using 7mm Mag seater dies backed out. Or you could use a wilson style seater.

The only cartridge on your list that I wouldn't pick is the 7mm WSM solely because they don't make much brass for it. All of the others would be good though most wouldn't be a whole lot different than your 284.

Aaron

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I mostly hunt white-tail and hogs here in Texas. However I go on a lot of hunts and have been moving more and more away from bow and rifle and going to my SP. cost of reloading doesn't bother me but the ability to find brass does. I heard barrel life could be short. But I'm ok with that as well just means I get to get another or try something new. I mainly am just looking for fun to shoot and enough to knock down what I point it at.

Posts: 28 | Location: Bandera, Tx | Registered: November 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
7suam and 284 are about the same
280ai is a touch more in velocity
7dak is a lot more but probably a lot more than is needed for whitetail unless the range is extended. Brass cost is crazy on the dak

There is also 26 and 28 nosler. The 28 and the 7 dak are similar.

There isn’t a one listed that won’t plow over a white tail. For the medium size game I like a lot of the creed/308 sized cases up to 284.

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
TX, my go to gun the last 8 or 9 years is my 6.5/.284 XP. Brass is always available. Big choice of bullets. SSK Arrestor brake makes it a pussy cat to shoot. Extremely versatile, killing groundhogs and deer out to 550 with a BPlex scope and powerful enough to do a 800# kudu at 200 yds.
I did my first barrel change after 2200 rounds.

Posts: 1855 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I really enjoy all my 6.5's. They are fun to shoot. But maybe I was using the wrong bullets but they haven't performed well on my whitetail unless I used triple shocks. Which I love but not for my steel plates at distance. I used Bergers and the very first lot of the elds (both versions). They killed just fine just no pass throughs so no blood trails and if you have ever hunted south Texas. It's thick. And you walk right past a deer. And shoulder shooting didn't always knock down. That is why I started off looking at the 7mms for this build. It doesn't have to be one on my list I just can't think of any others to consider. Except 7mm08. Which I like but not sure I want an SP in it.

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
7-08 would be good

Posts: 4007 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You need to try the lehigh controlled chaos. The shank will exit. But the petals make 4 separate wound channels and it puts them down quick!

Dakota brass isn't available everywhere. I've never had a problem finding it when I needed it though. 28 nosler may be slightly more available but they aren't keeping up with demand.

Aaron

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rickiesrevenge,

Posts: 2754 | Location: AK | Registered: March 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
My favorite XP-100 cartridge is the 7 RSAUM. ADG, Norma, and Nosler make brass.

I’ve had a couple 280AI’s and a 284, and my 7 RSAUM is faster. Case capacity is a couple grains more than a 280AI.

Another cartridge to consider is the 7mm Blaser Mag. Norma makes brass. Case capacity quite a bit more than the SAUM case, and should tread on the heals of the Dakota.

Regards,
Rog (Buttermilk421)

Posts: 1591 | Location: Good ol' Oklahoma | Registered: November 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
With the 6.5 you need to take WV Hitman's advice and go with Nosler Accubond bullets. They Work.

Posts: 1171 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
I'd opt for the 284 Win. Good performance and you can eject a loaded round without removing the bolt. It will be my next bottleneck build when I get 'round to it.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Let us know what you decide Cool

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big10:
I'd opt for the 284 Win. Good performance and you can eject a loaded round without removing the bolt. It will be my next bottleneck build when I get 'round to it.

I cannot eject a loaded found from my 284, at least not when loaded close to the lands.
I haven't loaded to SAAMI length to check that.

But having to remove bolt to extract a loaded round doesn't bother me and wouldn't influence any of my future decisions when choosing caliber.

-Freeze

Posts: 376 | Location: SW PA | Registered: February 28, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a 284 XP already but it is rear grip and to hard to hunt with with the big McRae precision chassis thanks to Ernie I’m now converting it to a center grip. I love a 284. Since I’m able to make a center grip out of it I no longer feel I need my new build to be in 7mm. So I have turned my thoughts to the 25 creedmoor. It just sounds like a ton of fun

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Ya I s'pose it depends on bullet profile and chamber.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TxShooter:
So I have turned my thoughts to the 25 creedmoor. It just sounds like a ton of fun

It is a fun round. I haven't had the time I would like to work with mine but have still shot some decent groups.

Bruce

Posts: 1091 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TxShooter:
I have turned my thoughts to the 25 creedmoor. It just sounds like a ton of fun

Cool!

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TxShooter: So I have turned my thoughts to the 25 creedmoor. It just sounds like a ton of fun

Also then I won’t have to be an only child anymore.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post