Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage rifle to pistol stock Login/Join 

posted
Mine are ugly, added AR grip. Anyone making these? Help!

Thanks;
joe b.

Posts: 79 | Location: United States | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Choate Ultimate Sniper and Varmint stocks are heavy, have an aluminum bedding block and cut easily right after the action leaving a pistol grip that's fairly comfortable. Will handle a full bull easily. Dense plastic easily sanded and modded and painted.

Uses either a 4.275 or a 4.4" short action, available right or left handed.

I have seen others take some benchrest pre-made stocks in thumbhole configuration and cut them off as well.

There you go. Get you a rifle, cut the barrel to about 17" and go for it.

Sorry, nothing for midgrip that I know of.

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Start with one of these,(http://www.rifle-stocks.com/Pistol_Grip_Style.htm)
cut the back end off, shorten the front end to your liking and you're almost there. And the price isn't that bad either. Wink
Plus, the combinations are endless.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nor Cal Mikie,

Posts: 384 | Location: Northern California | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I THOUGHT there were SOME legal impediments to making a HANDGUN from a RIFLE. Or am I over thinking this.

Posts: 3978 | Location: home | Registered: November 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhalcott:
I THOUGHT there were SOME legal impediments to making a HANDGUN from a RIFLE. Or am I over thinking this.
As long as the barrel is over 16" and the overall length is over 26", it's a buttstockless rifle.

mike
------------------------------

JUST SAY NO To Gun Bans, JOIN Gun Owners of America

Need accessories? Looking for reloading equipment or components? Check out

Posts: 19882 | Location: western PA, USA! | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I started with a PTA in the box so I didn't have to worry about the 16-26 rule. Pistol stocks can be hard to find as I found out for the Savages. I finally ordered a Choate (second) for $100.00 plus about $9.50 shipping. After I gave the stock the hacksaw treatment it actually turned out pretty nice for not much money. I was going to cut the forend but my wife talked me into leaving it full length with the rail for different attachment. I'm glad she did. I think Cody W likes the Choates also for his Remingtons.

Last year while nursing my wife with a broken leg I became obsessed with finding a laminate bench stock for the PTA like we saw a lot of here in the old days. I think I got the last one that will ever be made. It was a hundred bucks even delivered to my doorstep. The cutting inside and outside is superb. I'm thinking about getting a couple duplicates made before I bed it.

I started masterminding the PTA project while shooting the mountain top with Adam, Glenn, and Mike. I had a brand new one two weeks after I got home from Wy-Shot and the MOA.

Jon

Posts: 1611 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Great info thanks for sharing!

---------------------------------
Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HandCanonShootr
posted Hide Post
In this post: http://specialtypistols.infopo...6077864/m/3830094986

I cut down a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock for my Savage PTA Pistol. Has worked well.

Mike B.

----------------------------
Everything in excess!
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.

-Lazarus Long

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth—
This was the ancient Law of Youth.
Old times are past, Old days are done:
But the Law runs True, O Little Son!

-Charles T. Davis

Posts: 1526 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: December 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of HandCanonShootr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nor Cal Mikie:
Start with one of these,(http://www.rifle-stocks.com/Pistol_Grip_Style.htm)
cut the back end off, shorten the front end to your liking and you're almost there. And the price isn't that bad either. Wink
Plus, the combinations are endless.

RE: Richards Microfit (above link) this mfg was one I considered for my Savage pistol stock. Found quite a bit of negative reviews as to the level of fit & finish. (inlets needing lots of work described as 99%). In spite of the great selection of style & color, I passed.

No Cal Mikie, have you used one of these? Results? Anyone?

Stockys has a nice selection also, from them, I went with Bell & Carlson.

Mike B
So CA

----------------------------
Everything in excess!
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.

-Lazarus Long

To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth—
This was the ancient Law of Youth.
Old times are past, Old days are done:
But the Law runs True, O Little Son!

-Charles T. Davis

Posts: 1526 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: December 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Not that exact stock but over the last few years I have or have had maybe 10 or 12 Richard's Micro Fit stocks.(I've lost countConfused)
They have ranged from cry to Cool. The earlier stocks were a little on the rough side but they seem to have gotten MUCH better. Knowing ahead of time that some work will be required to get them ready to finish and you're way ahead of the game. I know ahead of time that work will be needed so any work that they require will make it just that much more MINE!! 99.00% of mine end up either pillar bedded or a fitted V Block. Metal to metal fit and no movement or crushed wood. Inlet has always been good on all of mine.
And with any of they're laminated stocks, you have choices of how you want them cut. I prefer mine with no vents in the forearm, at least a 3" wide and no cheek piece. I like mine heavy for bench shooting. Think fence post. thumbup
When I saw the pistol grip stock, the first thing I thought of was, with a couple of mods, it would make a good rear grip SP stock. Biggest part is done. You're almost ready to go shooting.
And the price and style selections are better than any stock maker out there. If you order one, receive it and don't like it, send it back and move on. There will be someone else that will jump on it. Wink Maybe even me. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nor Cal Mikie,

Posts: 384 | Location: Northern California | Registered: March 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post