Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newby's first XP Login/Join 

posted
howdy all,

Well, I can't seem to figure out how to reduce the size of this pic, so here it comes! This is my first XP. It's a 1992 Custom shop .250 Savage wearing a Burris 3x9x32. The Burris is being sent in as it has an internal lens issue.

The gun hasn't been shot much according to the bolt face and metal. The bottom of the grip has a few bench/rock scratches, which I'll probably add to as I figure out what loads it likes. I've been reading up, so I have some powders in mind and I always liked the Nosler ballistic tips, so I have some of those. A couple hundred rounds of WW brass and I'll be sorting this beauty out! If the first pic takes, I'll try and add some more. I sure like the ribbony wood RP used on this. No idea what species it is. Very tight grained with no pores. I guess that could just be the finish.

Gary in Casper.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GoWyo!,

Posts: 40 | Location: Casper, WY | Registered: June 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
Here ya go.

Very nice, my dream XP and welcome to my madness.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks Nitemann,

I'm looking forward to shooting to see how accurate it is and hopefully busting a few rockchucks with it.

I saw a post somewhere that the RCS used Hart bbls? Anything to this?

Thanks.

Posts: 40 | Location: Casper, WY | Registered: June 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That is a nice XP. May it serve with distinction. You mentioned ''First XP''. One thing to know is to NEVER, EVER load it inside. Many of these had the safties removed. If you loaded it you were going to immediately shoot it. Yours may still have it. If your safety became defective, the sear is the only thing preventing discharge. All it would take is a bump or a brush of the trigger. Just cultivate the habit of loading just prior to using it. If you need to check chambering of your ammo, make yourself a dummy round. Enjoy it.

Posts: 432 | Location: Stone Mtn Ga | Registered: February 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pa. Mike
posted Hide Post
Great find , looks like it's in very good condition. I wanted to pass something on which you may be interested in. The August 2010 issue of Handloader Magazine No. 267 has a great article on the Custom Shop XP-100 and the best part is that the gun in the article is a .250 Savage. You can Contact Wolfe Publishing and order a back issue if they are still in stock. Anxious to hear how it shoots!

Posts: 944 | Location: South Central Pennsylvania | Registered: February 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Nitemann
posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw a post somewhere that the RCS used Hart bbls? Anything to this?

Not sure if they did or not. The custom shop guns were put together by REAL gunsmiths/craftmans who took pride in their work and made fantastic weapons. The 3 I have all shoot great. I've been looking for a 250 savage custom shop XP since I started amassing my little hoard.

Rick

Posts: 3531 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: January 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
Very nice! When I finally get myself an XP it'll be a CS model, too. Neat caliber you've got as well. You'll surely be enjoying that rig!

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1837 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Pa Mike, I may have that issue! If not I'll be sure and get it. Great memory by the way. I appreciate the safety tips. Safety is intact, still better to be safe than sorry.

added- Well I checked my gunmag library, most of my Handloader mags are from the '80's, 90's and early 00's. I did find 3 with articles on the .250-3000 however. I've got a 99 eg? and a Ruger 77R tang safety in .250 also. Looks like I'll be ordering that issue.

Picture of nmhunter
posted Hide Post
Very nice thumbup
Nmhunter

Posts: 4539 | Location: madisonville ky USA | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
Nice lookin' rig there thumbup thumbup

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6521 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thats a sharp looking XP thumbup
I always liked the looks of the XP's that came out of the custom shop.
The .250 Savage is a neat round too!
Thanks for sharing the pics!

-Mike

Posts: 2292 | Location: Oregon | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That's a beauty! I like the large pics, really lets me eyeball it up close

Posts: 1609 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Shaggy357
posted Hide Post
Well, I am glad you called it your "first" XP. There is sure to be a 2nd, 3rd, etc. (Feel the drain on your wallet yet?) Nice looking gun and shoot shoot well. Would like to see you, gun, and first XP antelope in photo this fall. Better get the loads ready....

Steve Smile
---------------------------------
"Life is a play before an audience of one. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"

Posts: 1933 | Location: Washington  | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Howdy Steve,
Alas, no tags were drawn by my son or I. Perhaps a general season whitetail?

Gary

Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Very nice XP. I picked up a great Custom Shop XP100 in 7-08 from this site in Sept. 07. It has been great. I've taken deer, antelope at Casper, WY and some pigs. After taking it apart I can find any markings on the barrel but was told by someone that it might be a Douglas barrel. Don't know and not really an issue.
You will enjoy and will be on a downward spiral now selling things and trading to get more XP's. laugh
The 250 Savage is a great round. I had one in an XP for some time that was built by Jack Dever, a gun smith from Oklahoma that built Silhouette pistols for people all around the country. Had several people pester me until I gave in and sold it so I could get another XP100R in 260. See how it goes? nuts
Enjoy the XP and enjoy you hunts in Wyoming. I know I did when I would come up there and chase antelope on the Hat Six Ranch and around Saratoga, WY.
Mike

: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Great looking xp. I really like the looks of those CS stocks.

For those of you that have or have had an xp in 250 Savage what kind of velocities do you get?

Bruce

Posts: 1091 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Leupold Man
posted Hide Post
Welcome to SP! That's a great way to start!!!!

Veteran and NRA Life Member

Posts: 2724 | Location: Waterloo Wisconsin | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TXBRASS
posted Hide Post
Heck of a rig to start with.... Nice find!

CW
Get your W-GEAR shooting accessories NOW!
SP Scabbards, Rear Rest Bags, Ammo Bracelets, Front Rest Bags, & more...
Made in USA with a LIFETIME warranty!

www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -

Posts: 1227 | Location: SHINER, TX | Registered: September 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Don't see to many 250's. Nice find.

Posts: 567 | Location: Wichita,Ks. | Registered: February 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
GoWyo!,
Congratulations!! Big Grin A classic gun teamed up w/ a classic cartridge. thumbup From my experience w/ Burris, I expect them to take care of you. Keep us updated.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1674 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

THE Handgun Hunting Authority!

posted Hide Post
Gary,My go to varmint gun is a SSK customized .250 Sav. AI. I've done 880 groundhogs and around 20 deer with it. With a 3-12X Burris BPlex it is deadly out to 500 yds. Recoil is minimal. 85 gr. BTs for varmints and 100 gr. BTs and Nosler PTs for deer work extremely well.
You made a good choice. Enjoy.

Posts: 1856 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I rec'd the scope back from Burris, 16 day turn around. The invoice says they replaced the lenses. Internal aberration is gone and the external surfaces are spotless! Might get some range time this weekend! I'm kicking around the idea of getting some signature rings to get some added elevation, only I don't know if it's warranted as I havent crunched the internal elevation adjustment range of the scope with ballistic potential of the .250. Though more adjustability is mo' better! Right? Edit- I found the threads that have directed me to high signature rings. Hope my LGS has them, I'm done waiting!

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Awesome XP!

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Wouldn't mind finding a custom shop xp myself.

Posts: 1609 | Location: East Central Iowa | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Blind hogs and acorns! Oink. I mounted up the scope in some signature high rings. I'm trying the max offset inserts, -.02 in front +.02 rear to give me the greatest range of scope adjustment. Basically a SWAG to maximize useful internal adjustment, if it puts me on a ballistic path to the next town, i'll step back halfway with the original zero offset inserts in the rear ring. I've looked at tables on what I can expect with this setup. It looks like I'll be adding 58 moa with my 3.25" ring spacing. Which is @ max adj range which probably is + and - the poa. I shall soon find out.

posted Hide Post
I got it to the range tonight. My first 5 shot group is about an inch and a quarter at 100 yds. One of the first two shots I called wide, so bearing down, the last three shots made me feel a lot better. My last three shots went into less than half an inch! This is using 85 grain ballistic tips over IMR-4320, unknown primer, W-W brass (which by the way, Winchester has informed me is discontinued and they will not be making any more runs of it). Recoil is quite benign, and it was pretty easy to ring the 12" gong at 300 yds ( obviously I was using a bipod, I'm not that comfortable with an eer scope yet)

Picture of Ernie
posted Hide Post
Conrats on getting a good start

Ernie (xphunter) "The Un-Tactical"
WY-SHOT 2022 June 20-22

Posts: 12177 | Location: Gillette, Wyoming | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post