Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 510 Login/Join 

posted
Found a Savage 510 7-08 at a pawn shop today in really good condition blue with black stock,with scope base $417.00. Ran home put a scope on and ran some 140gr noslers I had loaded for a rifle,got it on paper 3 shots about an inch outside to outside. Need higher rings ran out of adjustment. Trigger needs work but I'm impressed.
What's the good and bad about these pistols.
Thanks
Handi204

Posts: 232 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: January 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Trigger adjustment is critical. Gen 1 has a bar from front to back and 3 screw adjustment that I have had best luck with. The other gens use lever bars that add a lot of tolerance buildup.

Most people find the stock a little big for average hands. Easy to fix, to me at least.

Want an aftermarket stock, I have some in stock as well as modded ones.

Barrels are as plentiful as cut down rifle barrels. I have several available.

Let me know how I can help.

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The stock date is 1998 best I can tell there is a screw in front of the trigger one at the sear and two below the safety and the wire which I have some piano wire so I can fix that. It shows very little use.The stock is big, can the grip be sanded down?
Thanks
Geary

Posts: 232 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: January 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The stock can be trimmed down to better fit your hand. I could not go lower than about 3.5 # on my trigger without it slam firing,it is a hunting gun and I work the bolt hard.I have broken two firing pin retainers in mine, have no idea why, to hard maybe? [The new owners] of Savage will not stand behind the warranty or fix any of the Savages made before they took over. I was told [we didn't build it we won't fix it] and don't have anyone who knows how to work on it,and they do not keep parts. Love the gun stinks that I can't get parts from the manufacturer to fix what breaks.

Posts: 399 | Location: bourbon capitol KY. | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This will be a hunting gun and shot from a bench I don't compete just challenge myself. If I can get the trigger to 3.5 I would be happy.
Handi204

posted Hide Post
I've had a couple 223, 243(now 6br). Used to live in a "shotgun only" area for deer....they saw a lot of action. Smile

Stocks are pillar bedded and only require minimal cleanup.
They are rifle accurate out of the box after a trigger job.
Easy to rebarrel if you desire.

Add a Harris BR bipod and a sandbag under the grip and it's easy to shoot small groups.

Posts: 54 | Location: 16942 | Registered: December 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of blades
posted Hide Post
I really dislike the mindset of Mfg. owners on current vs previous productions, not only in this realm but several others as well. The flipping action in this particular case is a 110. Lots of them out there. I smell lawyers in this. Heck I think they are still making 110 rifle actions ? so a firing pin retainer should be an off the shelf part.

Posts: 531 | Location: WI | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yes, you can by an undesignated action and do what you please, or buy a rifle or action only and follow ATF rules for barrels (at least 16") and overall length (at least 26") and its still a rifle, stock configuration whatever.

Larry
Tinkerer

Posts: 1259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
How much material can be removed from the factory stock I have small hands and need to cut it down some.
Also what do your barrels run cost wise? I don't know anyone is the area I live that does barrel work?
Thanks
Handi204

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
Grip is hallow. Just fill it with bedding material. Shape it. Then paint it.

Lots of nice texture spray paints available and spray clear coat

Posts: 4020 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
quote:
How much material can be removed from the factory stock I have small hands and need to cut it down some.

You can take quite a bit off, I did. I also cut finger grooves in the front which helped a lot without removing a lot of material.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6522 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you want an alternative, I have 2 striker stocks already modded, painted and ready. I'll even trade stocks to reduce cost.

Or if you're interested, I have at least 1 custom curly maple stock available that will handle a HV barrel. Or if you're really interested, a complete custom Striker with a 17" 22-250 HV barrel, long range scope, beautiful wood.

Email me for pics.

Just a few alternatives.

Larry
Tinkerer

posted Hide Post
Loaded some 120 gr. Barnes TSX over a minimum load of H4895 adjusted the trigger after getting scope dialed in put 5 rounds that you can cover with a quarter at 100yds.Scope is a 2x6 Bushnell, so far I'm really pleased.

posted Hide Post
The Striker gets first strike
Yesterday the WV early doe season came in and about 8:00 am the 7-08 got its chance a nice doe at about 50 yards. Shooting from my friends goat shed with goats never experienced that before, they provide plenty of cover scent. Pistol and bullet preformed well, bullet entered behind one shoulder exited the other shoulder leaving inch or so hole. I'm well pleased with the Striker.
Handi204

Picture of BT
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your goat shed deer! Big Grin

----------------------------------------

Posts: 1839 | Location: Mid-MO | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Converted the 7-08 to 22-250, I had a takeoff barrel that had cut to 15"target crown, loaded 38 grains of H380 under 55 gr. Nosler BTs. With a 2x6 scope 10 shots under an inch at 100 yds. Going to fun to play with.

posted Hide Post
whats your barrel twist on the 22-250

Posts: 558 | Location: Goodyear,Arizona | Registered: January 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I assume it's 1 in 12 since the barrel was a sporter weight of a Savage 110. Maybe 1 in 14,the rifle was an older model.

posted Hide Post
Handi 204 - Did you know Nosler loads a 64gr. short bullet in .22-250 that is supposed to shoot from older 22-250 barrels? They sell the component 64gr. bullet as well. I have a factory 22-250 Styker that loves 55gr Rem JHPs. I found 2 boxes of Winchester 64gr 22-250 and thought I was in high cotton! One bullet wouldn't hit within 10" of the last one to save my life. Pulled them to shoot in my .223 1-12 circa 1973 Rem HB Varmint rifle.
Look on Wholesale Hunter.com website in Wetumka, Al. They do a huge mail order business and have done me right on exchanges. (I live close by, so it is face to face.) Good Luck.

Posts: 19 | Location: SE USA | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Handi204, Now I know what you're going to do w/ the 22-250 and 7-08 case length gauges you bought from me. thumbup I have an XP in 7-08 (mid grip) and it's rapidly become one of my go to guns when deer season rolls around. Unfortunately, I didn't get a deer w/ it this year. So far I really like the Sierra 120 gr spire point and 120 gr NBT bullets w/ H4895; I use Varget w/ other bullets. The Nosler brass is top notch, but since Lapua brass now makes 7-08 brass, I'd probably try it. I also have an XP in 22-250 (rear grip), but unfortunately, we've never really "bonded." I bet you'll like both barrels. Keep us updated.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 1676 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: November 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post