Support Our Sponsors! Click On Their Banner To Visit Their Site!

Moderators: nmhunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm BR vs. 7mm BR for 1000 yards in the XP100 Login/Join 

posted
Out of a 15" barrel, which would you choose and why? Is 1/9" fast enough in the 7mm BR to stabilize heavy bullets? Is there any advantage to a 1/7.5" twist over a 1/8" twist in the 6mm BR? Pure paper punching and rock busting.

Posts: 39 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of old leghumper
posted Hide Post
Stay with the 6BR and a 7.5 twist. Good velocity, good bullet selection, less recoil with the chance to spot yourself.

----------------------
Never argue with an idiot: they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I am that idiot.

Posts: 1509 | Location: Purgatory(Ohio)  | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smokin7mm
posted Hide Post
Either twist you mentioned will work for pretty much the range of bullets typically used in these cartridges. My 6BR is a 1-8 nad it shoots 107gr bullets fine. I shoot 168gr out of my 7BR. Now if you are wanting to shoot 1000 yards the 6 Dasher would be my choice in 6mm. If you are not set on the BR cases the the 6.5-284 Norma is also an excellent 1000 yard round. I love mine. My 2¢

Bret

IHMSA #49266
PBRC match director
IHMSA Washington State Director

Posts: 1585 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of big10
posted Hide Post
For 1K I'd want a little more horsepower than the BR's.

thumbup Rod
------------------------------
It's not a break, it's a brake, unless it's a break, then it's broke ;-)

Posts: 6522 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hoggin
posted Hide Post
I think the 6 creed will get you there Troll

Posts: 4013 | Location: Newcastle, WY | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I love the 6BR and have shot one at 1000 yards at the MOA shoot,it is a 15" 8 twist and it got in the shootoff a few times at the different yardages.I felt it is a bit slow with the 105 class of bullet,Perhaps if I was better at wind reading?@&$
Like I said it is accurate and I love the BR case,but for shooting at that distance I was thinking I should have a little more horsepower.Thinking about a new chambering for Hunter class now Roll Eyes
Matt

------------------------------
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
VHA LIFE MEMBER
IBS MEMBER

Posts: 634 | Location: Upstate South Carolina  | Registered: March 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post